This is not an easy problem to solve because IE has a habit of "forgetting" the settings. There isn't an easy tweak and it's sometimes just a matter of being persistent until it "sticks" or, unfortunately, dealing with resetting the size more frequently than you would prefer (which I'm sure is once and then it's done). Popups that are small and can't be resized can also change the size when closed and force you to do a reset.
Sometimes the following trick works to ensure that IE windows open to the same size as they are set (remembering if they are changed, they will need to be reset again).
Periodically, Internet Explorer (IE) forgets the settings for its window size and decides to open in an annoying small window (or maximized). If you close all other IE windows that might be open, change to and resize the small window (do not maximize) and then close it, IE is supposed to remember that it was resized when you next open it. But sometimes it goes right ahead and opens in a small window or maximized again. In that case, there are several methods to try.
- Resize (with only one window open) and then close by clicking the X in the upper right corner while holding down the Shift key. Often this works but it may not.
- If the above does not work, your next step is to try the two-window method.
- Open a single IE window (which is presumably still too small)
- Now open a secondary IE window by either right-clicking or shift-clicking
on any convenient link in the open IE window
- Resize this second window to the desired dimensions
- Close this resized window by clicking the X in the upper right corner while holding down the Shift key
- Resize the still open original window as desired
- Close this window by clicking the X in the upper right corner while holding down the Shift key
- If the above doesn't work, try it using the CTRL key instead.
I hope this helps.