Originally Posted by speckled
Try the below steps to restore your computer to the last working state.
1) Boot the system using a Windows Vista DVD.
2) System will ask "Press any key to Boot with CD or DVD..
3) Press Enter or Any other Key to continue..
4) "Installation window
" will be prompted. Click on Next
5) Choose option "Repair Your Computer
" in next window.
6) "System Recover Option Window
" will be Prompted. Choose "System Restore
7) Now select "System Restore
" Window will prompt , then Click on Next
8) It will ask to "Choose Restore Point
9) Click in front of the check box "Show Restore Points Older Than 5 Days
10) Select the date on which desktop was working fine. Then click Next
11) "Confirm disk to Restore window
" will be prompted Choose Drive Where the OS (Operating System) is installed. Click Next
12) Confirm your Restore Point window will be prompt, Click Finish
13) A pop up will be prompted to continue Restoring Windows . Click Yes
14) The system will start restoring the Operating System to the restore point selected. Once finished with this the system will ask for reboot stating that machine is restored successfully.
15) Reboot the machine.