Hi, Thank you for the pointer. I re-ran it (Microsoft ran it remotely) and had no real effect. Origianlly, the indication was that updates had been checked "never" - same as when Microsoft ran it.
When I re-ran "check for updates" I got 9.
When I tried to install the 9, I got 57E errors on each one.
PS - Orlando is OK, you get the real Mickey Mouse, not the remote stuff.
PPS - the machine is under 2 years old. Updates ran fine until about last February than an increasing %% failed, up to about 90% or so now.
I tried running Outlook 2003 software recovery, it failed with a 1406 error - also a permission error.
Waiting for a callback from Microsoft.
Thanks again. /Stu