Comunican wrote in message
news:014C1396-2664-45CF-B59C-8C683900EC10@xxxxxxWindows Live Mail synchronizes with Windows Live Hotmail by default, so
> I just got Windows Live Mail with an upgrade to MSN messenger... It looks
> But what I can't understand is why it is downloading all my old e-mails in
> my hotmail account - there are thousands of them, and I really don't need
> them on my PC... I thought the world was moving towards internet-only
> applications... So, this seems like a backward step to me.
> As nice as Windows Live Mail looks (and it is nicer than hotmail), I can't
> see the value in having every e-mail I ever sent or received through
> sitting on my PC... Is this not an option I can switch off?
> Also, does anyone know where Microsoft stores all those e-mails on my PC,
> I can delete them?
whatever you see on the web is mirrored on your PC. If you want to keep an
archive on the web but not locally (however wise that may or may not be),
you can probably achieve it by doing the following:
(1) If you've set up WLMail to "Send and receive messages at startup" and
"Check for new messages every n minutes", disconnect your Internet
(2) Open WLMail and uncheck both those options at Options > General.
(3) Right-click on the Hotmail account and uncheck "Include this account
when receiving mail or synchronizing"
(4) Right-click on the Hotmail Inbox and select Properties > Synchronize.
Uncheck "When synchronizing this folder".
(5) Do the same for any other folders you might have containing messages you
don't want to download.
(6) Close down WLMail.
(7) Connect to the Internet and log in to your Hotmail account on the web.
(8) Set up an archive folder (New > Folder).
(9) Move (drag and drop) a couple of the messages you want to archive into
the new folder.
(10) Log off again and restart WLMail.
(11) Send/receive for your Hotmail account. Click once on the status message
in the bottom right-hand corner to open the progress window so you can see
which Hotmail folders are being processed.
(12) Check that your new folder appears under your Hotmail account in the
Folder pane. If it doesn't, wait a few minutes and send/receive again until
(13) Right-click on the new folder and select Properties. On the Synchronize
tab, uncheck the "When synchronizing this folder" box.
(14) Right-click on Inbox and select Properties > Synchronize. Check "When
synchronizing this folder" and select the options you want.
(15) Close down WLMail again.
(16) Log back in to Hotmail on the web and move all the messages you don't
want to download into the new folder. Log out again.
(17) Restart WLMail, do a Send/receive again and check again that it's
downloading only from the folders you want.
If this works, you can re-instate the settings you altered at (2) and (3).
If it doesn't, don't blame me. I'm not entirely sure that unchecking "When
synchronizing this folder" sticks, and I haven't tested to find out why.
If, when you try it, you find that you're suddenly downloading unwanted
messages, click "Working online" in the status bar. That should stop the
Whatever happens, please post back to tell us.
Please post messages about Windows Live Mail to the appropriate newsgroup: