For some reason over the past month I have had problems with each one of my
accounts in Windows Live Mail. Two weeks ago it was Gmail which caused the
other accounts outgoing mail to get stuck in the Outbox. I wrote to this
Newsgroup concerning it, but everything cleared up after I removed the Gmail
Last week the AOL account also had problems with incoming mail. It finally
cleared up on its own. Now this week it is the Verizon account which is
having the same problem. All the settings, except the Outgoing port which
was changed from 25 to 587 two months ago, are the same today as they were a
year ago when I started using WLM. This is annoying.
I do not use an AV scanner, whatever that is, and I have used the same
firewall for over a year. I will change the setting suggested by Gary and
see if that helps.
Thank you all for your assistance.
Have a Merry Christmas.
"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@newsgroup> wrote in message
I'm not so sure that server supports advanced ports and/or SSL.
Try these settings:
Incoming port: 110, no SSL.
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen
"Nissi1" <Nissi1@newsgroup> wrote in message
>I am using WLM in Vista and am having problems with the Verizon email
> account. The following is an error report:
> Unable to send or receive messages for the Verizon (xxxxx) account. The
> connection to the server has failed.
> Server: 'incoming.verizon.net'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
> Protocol: POP3
> Port: 995
> Secure(SSL): Yes
> Socket Error: 10060
> The Outgoing port has been changed to 587.
> This has been occurring since yesterday. Last week a similar situation
> occurred with the AOL account.