I want to be explicit about my situation:
-I had a messenger ID with a domain for companyX.com.
-We were split off to a new companyY.com.
-companyX then signed up for Live Communicator.
-I got notification from Microsoft that I had to change my ID from companyX.
-I changed my ID to companyY, signed back in, and got stuck right there.
What little information I could find on this situation suggested that I go back to the original ID, change it again, and stay off messenger for about a day to let the migration process complete. The issue for me is that I can't go back to the companyX domain to try this because it's locked out due to the Live Communiucator thing.
So, to answer your question (I hope) I actually tried the Change ID option again from compnayY to something else, and didn't sign in at all for a couple of days (per an MVP's recommendations) and that didn't work either. The contacts came along, but again they were all offline, and no one could see the new address. I also tried linking ID's, which also didn't work.
I wound up creating a new separate Live ID, exported the old contact list from the companyY ID and imported into the new Live ID. Everyone had to acknowledge the request, but this was less painful than deleting all of the contacts individually.
However, the Catch 22 is that everyone else in the same boat at my company won't get the invite b/c it went to the old ID's with the blocked domain. So I have to delete and invite all of those (the people I IM with the most ironically) manually anyway. PITA!
At least with the live.com user ID, it's mine, and hopefully I won't have to repeat this process.
I have a co worker who has gotten locked out of the companyX domain as well, but has not tried anything yet.
I'm going to walk through the "Change ID" process with him, have him stay off messenger for the "recommended" day, and see if his contacts work the next day.
If that works, then the advice from the Microsoft MVP I found about staying off Messenger for a day was sound.
If that doesn't work, then Microsoft has recommended a process that is just plain broken for people who have been locked out of their prior domain.
If it works, I'll post up again. If no response, assume the worst.
Originally Posted by Dan