I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit, and Outlook 2003.
Everything was fine yesterday, until I decided to add an add-on that would enable me to find and delete duplicate emails (it was one of the ones that Microsoft's website referred me to, but I can't remember the name of it.) The add-on was a trial, and I didn't like the way it worked, so I went through Windows to remove the program. The system froze and I had to reboot, and when I booted up, I started having a problem with Outlook.
When I try to check for emails on any of my email accounts (and I have three different, one on a yahoo business domain, one on gmail and one on att.net), the same thing occurs. I get the little pop-up box asking me to type in my password, and when I type in the password I get a failure with error 0x800CCC92
I verified that passwords for each account are still showing in the profile, and none of the settings for SSL, ports, or authentication have changed.
So these are the steps I tried to fix it:
1. Ran scan.pst.exe to repair the pst file
2. Completely emptied my inbox
3. Ran the repair option that comes with Outlook 2003
4. Inserted my Office 2003 disk and ran repair on Office
5. Created a new profile in Outlook, set up all of my accounts in the new profile, and tried accessing email
6. Ran scans for viruses with Kaspersky, and malware with Ad-Aware and SpyBot.
7. Turned off my Kasparsky antivirus
None of the above has made any changes in the results.
Finally, I opened Windows Mail, which I had set months ago as a backup, and I can send and receive emails without any modifications. All the settings for each account are identical in Windows Mail and Outlook 2003.
I'm starting to think my only solution is to uninstall Office completely and reinstall it.
But if anyone has something else I can try first, please let me know.