This is probably going to be a pretty long post... you've been warned.
So last night at around 3am whilst gaming my pc froze so logically i just restarted and thought id carry on gaming however since that time my pc has someone become disconnected from its life partner the netgear modem. Now what bothers me is i can connected to the internet on all the wireless devices in the house and can connect when the ethernet is plugged directly into my laptop. My pc on the other hand detects that something has been plugged into its ethernet slot but chooses not to do anything about it.
Now these are a list of all the processes ive done so far...
1. Reset winsock with winsock reset...
2. Restarted / Turned Off both DNS and DHCP(think thats waht it was called)
3. Went to command prompt and issued commands ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew where renew told me that it couldnt do anything for me(thanks heaps...)
4. Unplugged modem, turned off pc, plugged in modem, restarted pc.... still 162.254....
5. Removed cable connection directly, restarted, reconnected did nothing
6. Swapped around between 3 ethernet cables. No effect
7. Reinstalled windows vista which had no effect.
8. Changed ip addresses to static, changed ip address to automatically detect
9. Disabled ipv6 and ipv4 then re-enabled.
The only thing i can think of at this point in time is to buy another motherboard. I currently have the Asus P5N - T Deluxe therefore i plug my ethernet straight into my motherboard i have been experiencing slight connection problems up until this point. With these problems my net would not work id run a "Diagnose Problem" and just reset the local area network. This seemed to work the first 5 times... now im just confused and frustrated at what to do...
Is there a plausible explanation to whats happened? Should i go out and buy a brand new 780i???