I was just about to agree with you about a bug in the underlying API -
since I'm *SURE* this used to fail in Windows Explorer too and it used
to irritate the hell out of me.
I remember explicitly because I used to have to resort to the "rename
to something else and then rename back to what it should be but with
the correct case" trick that you use below.
BUT, just tried it again in Windows Explorer before posting with my
foot in my mouth and it now seems to work - so maybe there's an
Explorer fix already :-)
BTW, has anyone tried to create a folder in Explorer called ".Net
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:54:35 -0400, "Alex K. Angelopoulos [MVP]"
>This should definitely be bugged. I THINK it is due to some quirks with
>foldername API calls versus filename API calls and the fact that you are
>technically overwriting the caseless version of the folder name, but I can't
>find clear details in the Windows SDK.
>The situations I've seen before generally affect files as well as folders,
>so I am a little puzzled that it shows up like this, especially
>because -Force doesn't work when renaming a folder that differs only in name
>case. The usual solution - renaming to something else that varies in
>characters, then changing back to the original name recased - works fine in
>PS, so here's a "just for kicks" workaround. I do think this can and should
>be addressed within PS though; it is probably an issue with FileSystem
>PSProvider details rather than with the Rename-Item cmdlet.
> Param([string]$Path, [string]$NewName, [switch]$PassThru)
> $tempName = [System.IO.Path]::GetRandomFileName()
> $temp = Rename-Item -Path $path -NewName $tempName -PassThru
> $result = Rename-Item -Path $temp -NewName $NewName -PassThru
>"Jon Miller" <email@example.com> wrote in message
>>I realized that in this case, it's not a file, but, a directory that's
>>being renamed. I did a couple tests with files and those seemed to work. It
>>also fails in a simpler case. For example, if you rename a directory named
>>"a" to "A".
>> "Jon Miller" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote in message
>>>I ran into the following bug. The bug occurs when you try to rename a file
>>>and the name of the file is the same except the case is different.
>>> PS C:\> ren hibernate-3.2.0.cr3 hibernate-3.2.0.CR3
>>> Rename-Item : Source and destination path must be different.
>>> At line:1 char:4
>>> + ren <<<< hibernate-3.2.0.cr3 hibernate-3.2.0.CR3
>>> PS C:\>