I'm gonna take a different tack here and say that although budgets are tight
across the board in this economy, don't cut too many corners. It sounds
like you have *some* sort of budget. Use it. Dell hasn't made 2900's in a
few years (they've been on 2950-II and 2950-III's for at least 2) so even if
they are well spec'd, you are talking about maintenance headaches. Older
machines just start to fail because of heat and age. It happens, and it
sounds like one of your biggest complaints with your existing setup and
concerns with doing open-source setup is maintenance and repairs.
So in my opinion, given the choice between two 2900's and trying to use one
for cold-backup and one *good* (aka brand-new) Dell with dual
power-supplies, a modern RAID card, and dual processors, you'll have less
maintenance issues with the new server. With the 3-yr warranty, even if a
part does fail, you get overnight expedited shipping (and in larger cities
that can actually mean same day) so you'll still be back up about as fast as
it takes to do a FULL bare-metal restore on a spare cold server.
And the cost for an entry-level Dell these days is tight-budget friendly.
So, again, don't cut corners. Buy one good server and you'll be happier.
"Kris" <Kris@newsgroup> wrote in message
> Currently we have a Dell poweredge 2600 running SBS 2003. This machine
> been fairly problematic and high maintenance over the last couple of years
> due to an under specked server and software corruption issues.
> Our budgets are extremely tight, over the past 6 months I have been
> on replacing the SBS server with two servers running open source software.
> have pretty much decided against this as I am not confident
> maintaining/repairing the system.
> I have two good spec Dell Poweredge 2900's at my disposal. I am
> in implementing VMware, especially ESXI server. I would like to run SBS
> as a VMware image on one of the servers and have the second server
> for high availability.
> I would like to migrate the existing SBS 2003 server to one of the new
> servers. Please advise on migration possibilities, obviously I need to
> imaging due to existing software issues?
> Thanks in advance,