I backed up the ML570 server (source server) using ntbackup and restored it
to the DL380 server (destination server). Before I ran the backup I stopped
all unnecessary services: sql and all sql related services; IIS Admin; DTC;
HP management services; I did the same thing on the DL380 server before I
First at all I disconnected the dest. server from the network, renamed the
dest. server with the name of the source server then started the restore.
By default the restore option is "Do not replace files on disk ...", I
changed it to "Always replace ...". When the restore completed I booted the
server with a windows server CD and did a repair. After another reboot the
server found new hw, installed drivers
itself and asked me to reboot again.
The server functions fine except some minor errors in event log because it
is not connected to the domain such as SNMP, SMTP, etc. However IIS, SQL
are working fine.
So far it is a successful restore but the last thing is to shut down the
source server and connect the dest server to the network. I am not sure how
the new server is recognized by the domain controllers. If the trust
somehow broken I am not sure if it will be corrected by using netdom reset
netdom reset Destination computer /domain:domain_name usero:admin_user
That is the last thing I worry about.
"Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman@newsgroup> wrote in message
> "ME" <ME@newsgroup> wrote in message
>> my apology for not being clear in the post.
>> I hope it will work when I try it this weekend.
> Good luck! Let us know how you make out.