Windows Vista Forums

Admin Access Blocked on My Own Machine

  1. #1


    Dissident Guest

    Admin Access Blocked on My Own Machine

    I SOMETIMES have admin access problems on my computer. I installed a scanner
    with no problems. I tried to install a DVD burner and it said I do not have
    admin rights to complete that action. It's about 50/50 for all programs and
    drivers that I try to install.

    Also, I have not been able to click on a link in my mail, ANY mail. I can
    send myself a link in an email and when I click on it, it says I need to
    contact the administrator because I don't have the rights to do that action.
    I AM the administrator. I am the only user set up on my computer and I'm set
    up as the admin. So what do I do?

    Can anyone help?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Rodrigo Canas, MCP Guest

    RE: Admin Access Blocked on My Own Machine

    First: Check if your computer isnt affected by spyware or viruses, you can
    try some tools like Windows Defender or Windows OneCare. After that, check if
    someone hasn´t touched the Local Policy Settings, that can be very dangerous,
    you can check Policy Settings by going to the start menú, choose RUN and type
    gpedit.msc

    If you have modified your Windows copy very much, installed and reinstalled
    a large numbers of programas and tools that modify your system, maybe one
    quick solution is to backup all your files and reinstall the operating
    system.

    Last but not less, check if Windows is up to date. You can do this by
    visiting www.windowsupdate.com
    --
    Rodrigo F. Canas, Microsoft Certified Professional


    "Dissident" wrote:

    > I SOMETIMES have admin access problems on my computer. I installed a scanner
    > with no problems. I tried to install a DVD burner and it said I do not have
    > admin rights to complete that action. It's about 50/50 for all programs and
    > drivers that I try to install.
    >
    > Also, I have not been able to click on a link in my mail, ANY mail. I can
    > send myself a link in an email and when I click on it, it says I need to
    > contact the administrator because I don't have the rights to do that action.
    > I AM the administrator. I am the only user set up on my computer and I'm set
    > up as the admin. So what do I do?
    >
    > Can anyone help?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Dissident Guest

    RE: Admin Access Blocked on My Own Machine

    I haven't been able to access email links from the first day I installed
    Windows. And I have not done ANY changes other than install Adobe CS2 and
    some other graphic stuff I typically use. The e-mail problem was there
    before anything else had been installed.

    "Rodrigo Canas, MCP" wrote:

    > First: Check if your computer isnt affected by spyware or viruses, you can
    > try some tools like Windows Defender or Windows OneCare. After that, check if
    > someone hasn´t touched the Local Policy Settings, that can be very dangerous,
    > you can check Policy Settings by going to the start menú, choose RUN and type
    > gpedit.msc
    >
    > If you have modified your Windows copy very much, installed and reinstalled
    > a large numbers of programas and tools that modify your system, maybe one
    > quick solution is to backup all your files and reinstall the operating
    > system.
    >
    > Last but not less, check if Windows is up to date. You can do this by
    > visiting www.windowsupdate.com
    > --
    > Rodrigo F. Canas, Microsoft Certified Professional
    >
    >
    > "Dissident" wrote:
    >
    > > I SOMETIMES have admin access problems on my computer. I installed a scanner
    > > with no problems. I tried to install a DVD burner and it said I do not have
    > > admin rights to complete that action. It's about 50/50 for all programs and
    > > drivers that I try to install.
    > >
    > > Also, I have not been able to click on a link in my mail, ANY mail. I can
    > > send myself a link in an email and when I click on it, it says I need to
    > > contact the administrator because I don't have the rights to do that action.
    > > I AM the administrator. I am the only user set up on my computer and I'm set
    > > up as the admin. So what do I do?
    > >
    > > Can anyone help?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Dissident Guest

    RE: Admin Access Blocked on My Own Machine

    Thanks for the right click trick. I did not know that. Works great now.

    I changed my default browser from Firefox to IE and I can now click on links
    in Outlook now. I hope Microsoft fixes that. Not everyone uses IE.

    "Dissident" wrote:

    > I haven't been able to access email links from the first day I installed
    > Windows. And I have not done ANY changes other than install Adobe CS2 and
    > some other graphic stuff I typically use. The e-mail problem was there
    > before anything else had been installed.
    >
    > "Rodrigo Canas, MCP" wrote:
    >
    > > First: Check if your computer isnt affected by spyware or viruses, you can
    > > try some tools like Windows Defender or Windows OneCare. After that, check if
    > > someone hasn´t touched the Local Policy Settings, that can be very dangerous,
    > > you can check Policy Settings by going to the start menú, choose RUN and type
    > > gpedit.msc
    > >
    > > If you have modified your Windows copy very much, installed and reinstalled
    > > a large numbers of programas and tools that modify your system, maybe one
    > > quick solution is to backup all your files and reinstall the operating
    > > system.
    > >
    > > Last but not less, check if Windows is up to date. You can do this by
    > > visiting www.windowsupdate.com
    > > --
    > > Rodrigo F. Canas, Microsoft Certified Professional
    > >
    > >
    > > "Dissident" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I SOMETIMES have admin access problems on my computer. I installed a scanner
    > > > with no problems. I tried to install a DVD burner and it said I do not have
    > > > admin rights to complete that action. It's about 50/50 for all programs and
    > > > drivers that I try to install.
    > > >
    > > > Also, I have not been able to click on a link in my mail, ANY mail. I can
    > > > send myself a link in an email and when I click on it, it says I need to
    > > > contact the administrator because I don't have the rights to do that action.
    > > > I AM the administrator. I am the only user set up on my computer and I'm set
    > > > up as the admin. So what do I do?
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone help?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Dissident Guest

    RE: Admin Access Blocked on My Own Machine

    Sorry. I got the right click tip from another forum. But if anyone has
    issues with outlook, change the default browser in the start menu to IE and
    you should be fine. Everything is stable so far.

    "Dissident" wrote:

    > Thanks for the right click trick. I did not know that. Works great now.
    >
    > I changed my default browser from Firefox to IE and I can now click on links
    > in Outlook now. I hope Microsoft fixes that. Not everyone uses IE.
    >
    > "Dissident" wrote:
    >
    > > I haven't been able to access email links from the first day I installed
    > > Windows. And I have not done ANY changes other than install Adobe CS2 and
    > > some other graphic stuff I typically use. The e-mail problem was there
    > > before anything else had been installed.
    > >
    > > "Rodrigo Canas, MCP" wrote:
    > >
    > > > First: Check if your computer isnt affected by spyware or viruses, you can
    > > > try some tools like Windows Defender or Windows OneCare. After that, check if
    > > > someone hasn´t touched the Local Policy Settings, that can be very dangerous,
    > > > you can check Policy Settings by going to the start menú, choose RUN and type
    > > > gpedit.msc
    > > >
    > > > If you have modified your Windows copy very much, installed and reinstalled
    > > > a large numbers of programas and tools that modify your system, maybe one
    > > > quick solution is to backup all your files and reinstall the operating
    > > > system.
    > > >
    > > > Last but not less, check if Windows is up to date. You can do this by
    > > > visiting www.windowsupdate.com
    > > > --
    > > > Rodrigo F. Canas, Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "Dissident" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > I SOMETIMES have admin access problems on my computer. I installed a scanner
    > > > > with no problems. I tried to install a DVD burner and it said I do not have
    > > > > admin rights to complete that action. It's about 50/50 for all programs and
    > > > > drivers that I try to install.
    > > > >
    > > > > Also, I have not been able to click on a link in my mail, ANY mail. I can
    > > > > send myself a link in an email and when I click on it, it says I need to
    > > > > contact the administrator because I don't have the rights to do that action.
    > > > > I AM the administrator. I am the only user set up on my computer and I'm set
    > > > > up as the admin. So what do I do?
    > > > >
    > > > > Can anyone help?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Admin Access Blocked on My Own Machine

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
I am the admin of my machine but,...
... my machine says I need to permission to move a folder to another? It first says "I'll need to provide admin permission to move this folder", then...
General Discussion
Lost Admin And asking for .Net Machine Account!
Hello there, i use vista Ultimate, for some reason i am unable to gain my admin account back, and everytime i try to run certain tasks it asks me for...
General Discussion
CAN NOT ACCESS PASSWORDS admin blocked
I have a big problem, my Vista home premium, will not accept any of my passwords. i get an error message that says, "an unknown program is trying to...
Vista account administration
Admin access to Vista Registry Remote & locally in Admin Approval
On my Vista machine which has Admin Approval mode enabled for administrators, the Behavior of UAC prompt is set to Prompt for credentials. I'm using...
Vista security
Move WinMail Blocked Senders to New Vista Machine
My laptop w/ Vista has a great WinMail Blocked Sender list. I am getting a new system with Vista soon. How do I move my WinMail Blocked Sender...
Vista General
Program installation blocked, say's I don't have admin. rights, but I doooo.
When a program won't install because you get a message you need admin. rights, and you already have them, how do you get around it. thanks qq
Vista installation & setup
Re: Vista machine cause XP machine to lose inet access
posting the results of ipconfig /all on both computers may help. Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting...
Vista networking & sharing