Windows Vista Forums

How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?

  1. #1


    vanQ Guest

    How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?

    How can I clear/empty the "Searches"-folder's contents?
    -Recent Pictures and Videos
    -Recent Emails
    -Recent Files
    -Recent Music
    -Recently Changed

    Especially the last one. I know that user accounts and passwords can protect
    one's privacy, but I'm really really anxious to be able to "leave no trace"
    of my actions. I don't want anyone to see any documents that I've wrote or
    saved... This information is critical: Although user accounts are personal, I
    still wish that it wouldn't show the stuff that I've browsed/viewed/opened.

    PS. I already know how to clear the "recently opened" in the Start Menu and
    same with the programs list. No need to explain those.

    And btw... How can you make Windows Media Player not automatically search
    for playable content? The "Music"-folder can't be deleted from the list...
    why?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2
    Dzomlija's Avatar

    Resistance is Futile


    Join Date : Aug 2007
    South Africa
    Posts : 2,213
    Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
    Local Time: 01:33 PM
    south africa

     

    Re: How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?

    Quote Originally Posted by vanQ View Post
    How can I clear/empty the "Searches"-folder's contents?
    -Recent Pictures and Videos
    -Recent Emails
    -Recent Files
    -Recent Music
    -Recently Changed

    Especially the last one. I know that user accounts and passwords can protect one's privacy, but I'm really really anxious to be able to "leave no trace" of my actions. I don't want anyone to see any documents that I've wrote or saved... This information is critical: Although user accounts are personal, I still wish that it wouldn't show the stuff that I've browsed/viewed/opened.

    PS. I already know how to clear the "recently opened" in the Start Menu and same with the programs list. No need to explain those.
    Click the "Start Orb", then your user name. When your profile folder opens, double-click the "Searches" icon. From there, you can delete the saved searches just as you would any other file. These are only shortcuts that store the search criteria, so your original documents will be safe.

    Quote Originally Posted by vanQ View Post
    And btw... How can you make Windows Media Player not automatically search for playable content? The "Music"-folder can't be deleted from the list...
    why?
    When you go into the "Library->Add To Library" dialog of WMP, select the folder you want (it will be listed in grey, and will have "Automatically Added" written nextto it). Click the "Ignore" button.

    BTW, the "Ignore" button in WMP changes to "Remove" when you select a folder that you manually added.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    vanQ Guest

    Re: How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?



    "dzomlija" wrote:

    >
    > vanQ;520064 Wrote:

    > > How can I clear/empty the "Searches"-folder's contents?
    > > -Recent Pictures and Videos
    > > -Recent Emails
    > > -Recent Files
    > > -Recent Music
    > > -Recently Changed
    > >
    > > Especially the last one. I know that user accounts and passwords can
    > > protect one's privacy, but I'm really really anxious to be able to
    > > "leave no trace" of my actions. I don't want anyone to see any documents
    > > that I've wrote or saved... This information is critical: Although user
    > > accounts are personal, I still wish that it wouldn't show the stuff that
    > > I've browsed/viewed/opened.
    > >
    > > PS. I already know how to clear the "recently opened" in the Start Menu
    > > and same with the programs list. No need to explain those.
    >
    > Click the "Start Orb", then your user name. When your profile folder
    > opens, double-click the "Searches" icon. From there, you can delete the
    > saved searches just as you would any other file. These are only
    > shortcuts that store the search criteria, so your original documents
    > will be safe.
    >
    > vanQ;520064 Wrote:

    > > And btw... How can you make Windows Media Player not automatically
    > > search for playable content? The "Music"-folder can't be deleted from
    > > the list...
    > > why?
    >
    > When you go into the "Library->Add To Library" dialog of WMP, select
    > the folder you want (it will be listed in grey, and will have
    > "Automatically Added" written nextto it). Click the "Ignore" button.
    >
    > BTW, the "Ignore" button in WMP changes to "Remove" when you select a
    > folder that you manually added.
    >
    >
    > --
    > dzomlija
    >
    > ____________________________________
    > Peter Alexander Dzomlija
    > Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
    > you die, so shall I be Reborn-...
    >
    > - ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
    > - AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
    > - 4GB DDR400
    > - ASUS nVidia 6600
    > - Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
    > - 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
    > - Vista Ultimate x64
    > - CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)
    >
    I still can't get C:\Users\MyName\Music to be Ignored or removed... It only
    gives the options to "Add" or "Delete" and the "Delete" is grayed out... it
    can't be selected. I need to disable the automatic acquiring of files in the
    Music-folder. Are you sure about the shortcut thingy in the Searches? Some
    say that they ARE the original files... If you delete them, the corresponding
    file gets deleted as well.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4


    vanQ Guest

    Re: How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?



    "vanQ" wrote:

    >
    >
    > "dzomlija" wrote:
    >

    > >
    > > vanQ;520064 Wrote:

    > > > How can I clear/empty the "Searches"-folder's contents?
    > > > -Recent Pictures and Videos
    > > > -Recent Emails
    > > > -Recent Files
    > > > -Recent Music
    > > > -Recently Changed
    > > >
    > > > Especially the last one. I know that user accounts and passwords can
    > > > protect one's privacy, but I'm really really anxious to be able to
    > > > "leave no trace" of my actions. I don't want anyone to see any documents
    > > > that I've wrote or saved... This information is critical: Although user
    > > > accounts are personal, I still wish that it wouldn't show the stuff that
    > > > I've browsed/viewed/opened.
    > > >
    > > > PS. I already know how to clear the "recently opened" in the Start Menu
    > > > and same with the programs list. No need to explain those.
    > >
    > > Click the "Start Orb", then your user name. When your profile folder
    > > opens, double-click the "Searches" icon. From there, you can delete the
    > > saved searches just as you would any other file. These are only
    > > shortcuts that store the search criteria, so your original documents
    > > will be safe.
    > >
    > > vanQ;520064 Wrote:

    > > > And btw... How can you make Windows Media Player not automatically
    > > > search for playable content? The "Music"-folder can't be deleted from
    > > > the list...
    > > > why?
    > >
    > > When you go into the "Library->Add To Library" dialog of WMP, select
    > > the folder you want (it will be listed in grey, and will have
    > > "Automatically Added" written nextto it). Click the "Ignore" button.
    > >
    > > BTW, the "Ignore" button in WMP changes to "Remove" when you select a
    > > folder that you manually added.
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > dzomlija
    > >
    > > ____________________________________
    > > Peter Alexander Dzomlija
    > > Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
    > > you die, so shall I be Reborn-...
    > >
    > > - ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
    > > - AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
    > > - 4GB DDR400
    > > - ASUS nVidia 6600
    > > - Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
    > > - 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
    > > - Vista Ultimate x64
    > > - CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)
    > >
    >
    > I still can't get C:\Users\MyName\Music to be Ignored or removed... It only
    > gives the options to "Add" or "Delete" and the "Delete" is grayed out... it
    > can't be selected. I need to disable the automatic acquiring of files in the
    > Music-folder. Are you sure about the shortcut thingy in the Searches? Some
    > say that they ARE the original files... If you delete them, the corresponding
    > file gets deleted as well.
    Hey I tested out it ... the actual files get deleted if you try to delete
    the stuff in the "Searches" folder... I don't want to delete them, I just
    want them NOT TO SHOW UP AND LOG. I want the WMP to not include the "Music"
    Folder in automatic procedures.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5
    Dzomlija's Avatar

    Resistance is Futile


    Join Date : Aug 2007
    South Africa
    Posts : 2,213
    Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
    Local Time: 01:33 PM
    south africa

     

    Re: How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?

    Quote Originally Posted by vanQ View Post
    Hey I tested out it ... the actual files get deleted if you try to delete the stuff in the "Searches" folder... I don't want to delete them, I just want them NOT TO SHOW UP AND LOG. I want the WMP to not include the "Music" Folder in automatic procedures.

    The "Add To Library" dialog seen here clearly shows my "Music" folder (which I've redirected to "F:\Music". This should be similar to what you get. If you get a "Delete" option, then that means you have selcted a folder the you manually added.



    You say you delete the actual files when you delete a saved search? Have you initiated the search before you attempt to delete, or are you trying to delete the search icon itself? As seen in this screenshot, the icon for a search does not reference any files at all other than the type of search that must be performed...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6


    vanQ Guest

    Re: How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?


    > [image:
    > http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ToLibrary.jpg]
    > The "Add To Library" dialog seen here clearly shows my "Music" folder
    > (which I've redirected to "F:\Music". This should be similar to what you
    > get. If you get a "Delete" option, then that means you have selcted a
    > folder the you manually added.
    >
    >
    > [image:
    > http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e.../Searches.jpg]
    > You say you delete the actual files when you delete a saved search?
    > Have you initiated the search before you attempt to delete, or are you
    > trying to delete the search icon itself? As seen in this screenshot, the
    > icon for a search does not reference any files at all other than the
    > type of search that must be performed...
    >
    >
    > --
    > dzomlija
    >
    > ____________________________________
    > Peter Alexander Dzomlija
    > Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
    > you die, so shall I be Reborn-...
    >
    > - ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
    > - AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
    > - 4GB DDR400
    > - ASUS nVidia 6600
    > - Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
    > - 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
    > - Vista Ultimate x64
    > - CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)
    >
    http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9...temusicqc8.jpg
    Nope... That didn't help at all... see for yourself. Btw double-click is
    disabled, as is "delete"...

    http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/467/hidethesete2.jpg
    The searches-solution didn't work either...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7
    Dzomlija's Avatar

    Resistance is Futile


    Join Date : Aug 2007
    South Africa
    Posts : 2,213
    Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
    Local Time: 01:33 PM
    south africa

     

    Re: How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?

    Quote Originally Posted by vanQ View Post
    http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9...temusicqc8.jpg
    Nope... That didn't help at all... see for yourself. Btw double-click is
    disabled, as is "delete"...
    Now I'm seeing the bigger picture!

    The reason you cannot delete/ignore that folder item in WMP is because it's also your rip folder where new is is placed whenever you rip a CD.

    You cannot remove the rip folder from the list.

    Quote Originally Posted by vanQ View Post
    http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/467/hidethesete2.jpg
    The searches-solution didn't work either...
    You are deleting the actual files instead of the "Recently Changed" icon because once you've opened your user profile and opened the "Searches", you're again opening the "Recently Changed" icon.

    Do this:

    1. Click the "Start Orb".
    2. Click your username.
    3. Double-click the "Searches" icon.
    4. Use the arrow keys to select the "Recently Changed" icon.
    5. Press DELETE to remove that icon. This will remove the saved search for "Recently Changed", NOT the files themselves.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8


    vanQ Guest

    Re: How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?

    Thank you so much, dzomlija! I am so grateful to you! Both of the problems
    got solved and I can't thank you ever enough! Thank you!!! =)

    I really got a headache each evening after work trying to solve those^^ One
    can only blame my stupidity for not being able to solve the problem
    Btw... how can you re-create the "Recently Changed" and so on? I really
    don't need that, but just querious

    Thanks again! =)

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9
    Dzomlija's Avatar

    Resistance is Futile


    Join Date : Aug 2007
    South Africa
    Posts : 2,213
    Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
    Local Time: 01:33 PM
    south africa

     

    Re: How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?

    Quote Originally Posted by vanQ View Post
    Thank you so much, dzomlija! I am so grateful to you! Both of the problems got solved and I can't thank you ever enough! Thank you!!! =)

    I really got a headache each evening after work trying to solve those^^ One can only blame my stupidity for not being able to solve the problem Btw... how can you re-create the "Recently Changed" and so on? I really don't need that, but just querious
    The icons under "UserName\Searches" are nothing more than saved searches anyway, so re-creating the "Recently Changed" should be a simple matter of doing a search for files whose date is after a specified date, and then just save that search.

    Spread the word, vanQ. There are people on this NG who honestly want to help others. Any time you need assistance, you know where to find us!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10
    tommygun's Avatar

    Junior Member
    Join Date : Apr 2008
    Thailand
    Posts : 28
    Vista Ultimate x32 & Vista Home Premium x32
    Local Time: 06:33 PM
    thailand

     

    Re: How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?

    The icons under "UserName\Searches" are nothing more than saved searches anyway, so re-creating the "Recently Changed" should be a simple matter of doing a search for files whose date is after a specified date, and then just save that search.



    Hi.
    I've deleted 2 icons in the searches folder, the recently changed & recent documents like described in the thread above and it worked fine, the original files are still there.
    Thats now 2 days ago and I made a few searches and saved them as well but both the recently changed & recent documents icons won't come back.
    Instead after saving the search it creates an icon which is named after the file that I've searched for.
    Also went into the index options and rebuild defaults, still these 2 icons are missing.
    Please give me a hand here.

    Thanks in advance,

    Last edited by tommygun; 30 Apr 2008 at 01:57 AM.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


How to clear the "Searches"-folder's contents?
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Delete content or tracking in "searches" folder Vista file management
Delete content or tracking in "searches" folder Vista file management
Can I clean the folder "Searches" in "C:\Users\My name" Vista General
HELP! need help on removing "recent __" in the "searches" folder Vista General
HELP! need help on removing "recent __" in the "searches" folder Vista General