This afternoon I installed MS Office 2007 Ultimate (using a custom install,
so that several apps are installed on first opening, and Visio Viewer is not
installed). I haven't gotten around to installing SP1 yet today, and no
other Office hotfixes installed yet.
Until now I had been looking at DOCs with WordPad, so I opened the change
default programs window, and went to "Associate a File Type with a Specific
Program." Then I clicked DOC and then "Other Programs," to find Word from
the list. Here's what I got:
- Instead of MS Office 2007 Picture Manager, I had some kind of system check
icon (yellow triangle w/ exclamation point on a monitor, and a green
- Instead of Windows Calendar's icon, I had some kind of picture manager
icon -- maybe for Media Center.
- Instead of Media Center's icon, I had MS Word 2007's
- Instead of Word's icon, I had a power manager battery icon
- Instead of MS Paint's, I had Back Up & Restore's icon
What the heck? There was another icon below the scroll, but I couldn't
reproduce it after I changed the doc type to Word, so I don't know what it
I'm not concerned, since it no longer appears to be happening, but it was
I'm going to cross-post to both
microsoft.public.office.misc. Also sent to the public Vista GUI forum.