Windows Vista Forums

How to Bulk Unblock Files

  1. #1


    Sue & Bill Guest

    How to Bulk Unblock Files

    I think since XP SP2 days, a new security attribute was added to files
    such that files that came in by IM, email, or across the network were
    separately identified and blocked from being executed. To unblock,
    one need to go the Properties of the file and then click the Unblock
    button.

    XP was rather lax in enforcing blocking. But Vista appears to block
    everything, including html files inside a zip file.

    Each time I unzip the contents of a compressed file, I have to go and
    unblock each and every of its files. What is the method to Unblock
    more than one file at a time? The moment I select two files, the
    Unblock button cannot be seen anymore, even if both individually is
    blocked. What is the command line version or Windows Powershell
    cmdlet to unblock a file?

    Thanks for any help.

    S & B

    PS: I went to Windows Help and Support and enter "Unblock a file" as
    search words, but the first 30 results were not relevant to the
    subject.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2


    a.k.a. Guest

    RE: How to Bulk Unblock Files


    This reg file tweak may do the trick for you: It adds a "Take ownership"
    option to the right-click context menu when you select a file:
    http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-...text-menu.html

    It sometimes balks at adding the context menu tweak when you select a huge
    batch of files, but it tends to work just fine for something in excess of 10
    files at a time.

    a.k.a.

    "Sue & Bill" wrote:

    > I think since XP SP2 days, a new security attribute was added to files
    > such that files that came in by IM, email, or across the network were
    > separately identified and blocked from being executed. To unblock,
    > one need to go the Properties of the file and then click the Unblock
    > button.
    >
    > XP was rather lax in enforcing blocking. But Vista appears to block
    > everything, including html files inside a zip file.
    >
    > Each time I unzip the contents of a compressed file, I have to go and
    > unblock each and every of its files. What is the method to Unblock
    > more than one file at a time? The moment I select two files, the
    > Unblock button cannot be seen anymore, even if both individually is
    > blocked. What is the command line version or Windows Powershell
    > cmdlet to unblock a file?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > S & B
    >
    > PS: I went to Windows Help and Support and enter "Unblock a file" as
    > search words, but the first 30 results were not relevant to the
    > subject.
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    Bob Guest

    Re: How to Bulk Unblock Files

    That is one cool reg file tweak!!

    "a.k.a." <aka@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:0CB5A2DA-5688-4124-9344-580DAD0C6595@xxxxxx

    >
    > This reg file tweak may do the trick for you: It adds a "Take ownership"
    > option to the right-click context menu when you select a file:
    > http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-...text-menu.html
    >
    > It sometimes balks at adding the context menu tweak when you select a huge
    > batch of files, but it tends to work just fine for something in excess of
    > 10
    > files at a time.
    >
    > a.k.a.
    >
    > "Sue & Bill" wrote:
    >

    >> I think since XP SP2 days, a new security attribute was added to files
    >> such that files that came in by IM, email, or across the network were
    >> separately identified and blocked from being executed. To unblock,
    >> one need to go the Properties of the file and then click the Unblock
    >> button.
    >>
    >> XP was rather lax in enforcing blocking. But Vista appears to block
    >> everything, including html files inside a zip file.
    >>
    >> Each time I unzip the contents of a compressed file, I have to go and
    >> unblock each and every of its files. What is the method to Unblock
    >> more than one file at a time? The moment I select two files, the
    >> Unblock button cannot be seen anymore, even if both individually is
    >> blocked. What is the command line version or Windows Powershell
    >> cmdlet to unblock a file?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> S & B
    >>
    >> PS: I went to Windows Help and Support and enter "Unblock a file" as
    >> search words, but the first 30 results were not relevant to the
    >> subject.
    >>
    >>

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4


    Sue & Bill Guest

    Re: How to Bulk Unblock Files

    On Jan 11, 10:12*am, a.k.a. <a...@xxxxxx> wrote:

    > This reg file tweak may do the trick for you: It adds a "Take ownership"
    > option to the right-click context menu when you select a file:http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-...-take-ownershi...
    >
    > It sometimes balks at adding the context menu tweak when you select a huge
    > batch of files, but it tends to work just fine for something in excess of 10
    > files at a time.
    >
    > a.k.a.
    >
    Great! Does taking over ownership automatically unblock a file?

    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5


    a.k.a. Guest

    Re: How to Bulk Unblock Files


    Unless you actually mean something different than what I heard, it'll likely
    get the job done. There's a chance that ZIP files will add an unexpected
    wrinkle. Anway, this tweak was a godsend for me -- and Bill too, sounds like.
    a.k.a.

    "Sue & Bill" wrote:

    > On Jan 11, 10:12 am, a.k.a. <a...@xxxxxx> wrote:

    > > This reg file tweak may do the trick for you: It adds a "Take ownership"
    > > option to the right-click context menu when you select a file:http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-...-take-ownershi...
    > >
    > > It sometimes balks at adding the context menu tweak when you select a huge
    > > batch of files, but it tends to work just fine for something in excess of 10
    > > files at a time.
    > >
    > > a.k.a.
    > >
    > Great! Does taking over ownership automatically unblock a file?

    > >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6


    Sue & Bill Guest

    Re: How to Bulk Unblock Files

    On Jan 11, 9:48*pm, a.k.a. <a...@xxxxxx> wrote:

    > Unless you actually mean something different than what I heard, it'll likely
    > get the job done. There's a chance that ZIP files will add an unexpected
    > wrinkle. Anway, this tweak was a godsend for me -- and Bill too, sounds like.
    > a.k.a.
    >
    >
    Unfortunately it didn't work for me. When I drag a file file from a
    zipped folder onto a ordinary folder, the owner of that file is
    already myself. And the Unblock button is there because it was
    detected to be from the Internet. Taking over ownership didn't remove
    the Unblock button.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7


    Bob Guest

    Re: How to Bulk Unblock Files

    Right Click>Properties>Unblock

    "Sue & Bill" <sue.and.bill@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:e6f1b81d-a193-4bdf-8e9f-06ad13632e03@xxxxxx
    On Jan 11, 9:48 pm, a.k.a. <a...@xxxxxx> wrote:

    > Unless you actually mean something different than what I heard, it'll
    > likely
    > get the job done. There's a chance that ZIP files will add an unexpected
    > wrinkle. Anway, this tweak was a godsend for me -- and Bill too, sounds
    > like.
    > a.k.a.
    >
    >
    Unfortunately it didn't work for me. When I drag a file file from a
    zipped folder onto a ordinary folder, the owner of that file is
    already myself. And the Unblock button is there because it was
    detected to be from the Internet. Taking over ownership didn't remove
    the Unblock button.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8


    Sue & Bill Guest

    Re: How to Bulk Unblock Files

    If the Unblock thing is a file attribute, would ATTRIB work?
    ATTRIB /? gives R, A, S, H, and I. There doesn't seem to be one
    regarding dangerous files. Is it undocumented?

    Or is it an access control right? ICACLS /? doesn't seem to throw up
    a convincing one.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9


    Sue & Bill Guest

    Re: How to Bulk Unblock Files

    On Jan 11, 10:12*am, a.k.a. <a...@xxxxxx> wrote:

    > This reg file tweak may do the trick for you: It adds a "Take ownership"
    > option to the right-click context menu when you select a file:http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-...-take-ownershi...
    >
    > It sometimes balks at adding the context menu tweak when you select a huge
    > batch of files, but it tends to work just fine for something in excess of 10
    > files at a time.
    >
    > a.k.a.
    >
    Just discovered that Vista comes with TAKEOWN.EXE. Take ownership as
    its name suggests.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10


    Bob Guest

    Re: How to Bulk Unblock Files

    Where does this mysterious "TAKEOWN.EXE" reside?

    "Sue & Bill" <sue.and.bill@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:cf76ff53-e5f7-4714-8468-a246563c215b@xxxxxx
    On Jan 11, 10:12 am, a.k.a. <a...@xxxxxx> wrote:

    > This reg file tweak may do the trick for you: It adds a "Take ownership"
    > option to the right-click context menu when you select a
    > file:http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-...-take-ownershi...
    >
    > It sometimes balks at adding the context menu tweak when you select a huge
    > batch of files, but it tends to work just fine for something in excess of
    > 10
    > files at a time.
    >
    > a.k.a.
    >
    Just discovered that Vista comes with TAKEOWN.EXE. Take ownership as
    its name suggests.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to Bulk Unblock Files
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Bulk Unblock of Files PowerShell
Bulk Convert .TXT Files to Unicode VB Script
How to Bulk Unblock Files Vista General
unblock .chm files quickly Vista General
Windows Defender has blocked files from starting-should I unblock them? Have no idea what they are Vista General