OK. Have looked at problem reports. Between 2-28-07 and today (3-27-07),
there have been  Search Protocol Stopped Working reports. Most, not
all, have been sent to MS. Of interest, in that time, OL2007 has dumped 
Do i need to gather reports and send the whole bunch? Thanks for your help,
"Dave Wood [MS]" <email@example.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> Could you take a look in Control Panel -> System and Maintenance ->
> Problem Reports and Solutions and then go to View Problem History? Are
> there any problem listed there for "MS Search Protocol Host" or similar?
> If so we might be able to do some investigation ...
> Dave Wood
> "Mills Architect" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the advice and direction. The info I know right now...
>> PDF notes (tried to attache screen shots but file too big) of times and
>> 1.) Page 1 - copy screen at 11:58 pm - Control Panel>Indexing
>> Options>Modify - selected locations (MS Office Outlook (outlook.pst, Bus
>> Contact Mgr) and Offline Files (default locations) - note that INDEXING
>> IS COMPLETE at 144,335 items; I do not have the .pst files specified in
>> the Modify button.
>> 2.) Page 2 - copy screen at 12:16 am - open OL to get search options;
>> using default search settings from install.
>> 3.) Page 3 - copy screen at 12:18 am - note that "MS Search Protocol Host
>> has stopped working..." error message appeared.  minutes after opening
>> OL. Barely  minutes after indexing showed being complete.
>> 4.) Page 4 - copy screen at 12:22 am - note settings of OL com add-ins;
>> Windows Search e-mail indexer is checked (cannot turn off it seems).
>> Software install notes...
>> 1.) Vista Ultimate x86, Upgrade version - installed using method that
>> installs not activated, then formats C: drive, then "upgrade" to Vista
>> Ultimate x86. This is as clean as I could figure. I have WinXP Pro, have
>> installed and upgraded from that also. Just trying to get as clean an
>> install as possible.
>> 2.) MS Office 2007 Pro - Have downloaded from MS purchase on line. Doing
>> clean, full install, not upgrade.
>> By the way, I have installed a trial of OneNote2007 (OneNote) for a bit.
>> While OneNote is open, and Outlook2007 (OL) closed, the same Phenomenon
>> ("MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...") occurs.
>> So I don't think it is exclusively OL. The Phenomenon does not occur when
>> OneNote and/or OL are closed. It does not occur when any other
>> applications (i.e. Office (not including OL or OneNote) or any others)
>> are open.
>> I am not a programmer, however, I've dealt with "funny acting" programs
>> in the past (esp in beta testing). Anyway, the similarity between OL and
>> OneNote is that as long as they are open, the file size tends to be
>> dynamic, changing all the time. Is it that Search and Indexing want to
>> have files that are not continually changing in size, or character, or
>> whatever? If that's the case, surely there's a way to keep that phenom
>> from happening. Didn't happen in WinXP or Office2003 (that I'm aware of
>> anyway). Maybe this'll help. Again, I can't be the only one this happens
>> to. :=(
>> Sorry to be so wordy. Posting this also to the outlook.general group.
>> Thanks for any and all help.
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <email@example.com> wrote in message
>>> Since this appears to be an Outlook issue, you should also post in the
>>> outlook.general group. Several Instant Search issues are starting to
>>> appear there. Make sure you specify your settings for Instant Search and
>>> whether these were clean installs of Office and Vista or upgrades. Also
>>> post what you see in Outlook's Indexing Status... before you get the
>>> error message.
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> "Mills Architect" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote in message
>>>> Once the Indexing function of Vista is complete, I find that if I have
>>>> my Outlook2007 (OL) open for more than about 10-15 min, I get the
>>>> message "MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...". Once this
>>>> happens, my e-mails will usually not be available. Also, Calendar,
>>>> Contacts, etc. True, all you have to do is close out of OL and reopen.
>>>> But it will be short time then The Message shows again. Before Vista
>>>> and Office 2007, I did not have this problem. I'd like to mention that
>>>> when I do not have The Message, the search functions work really well
>>>> (i.e. OL, Explorer, etc).
>>>> Following is generally what I have system-wise...
>>>> - Vista Ultimate x86 - MS Office 2007 Pro - MS Office
>>>> Accounting - AutoCAD 2007 LT - Norton 360 - Live Messenger -
>>>> MS Streets - Adobe Acrobat v8 - Adobe Photoshop Elements v5 -
>>>> Family Treemaker 2006
>>>> - MachSpeed MoBo - AMD 64 +3700 CPU - 2GB DDR 400 RAM
>>>> I'm sure there are other specs I haven't mentioned. Hopefully the above
>>>> helps. To the best of my knowlege, I have all updates, patches, etc.
>>>> Also, when I install a new OS, I always reformat for a clean install.
>>>> HELP. I'd like to be able to have my OL on all the time as I used to.
>>>> Surely I'm not the only one with these symptoms. This is the only
>>>> fly-in-the-ointment I've run across with Vista and Office 2007. Would
>>>> love to get a fix for this too...