Windows Vista Forums

All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders

  1. #1


    Mike Guest

    All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders

    While moving files off one hard drive to the new Windows Ultimate install,
    somehow I have managed to duplicate all the folders under my user account
    (Michael) within the Pictures Folder. I also have second Pictures folder
    (plain looking yellow icon) that has just my pictures. I want to get the
    duplicates out of the Pictures Folder (i.e., Desktop or Documents, etc) so
    they only show up once under my User Account Name and get the pictures into
    the correct Pictures folder. I checked in the registry and under Current
    User, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Explorer, Shell Folders;
    all folders appear to be correct (C:\Users|Michael\Pictures, etc, except I
    have one Registry Key that says: !Do not use this registry key and under Data
    it says: Use the SHGetFolderPath or SHGetKnownFolderPath function instead.

    Are there any experts out there that can help me straighten this out?
    --
    Mike

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    David H Guest

    RE: All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders

    Mike i have the same problem if you find out how let me know. Also when I
    save a file in docutments it also saves in my user folder.

    "Mike" wrote:

    > While moving files off one hard drive to the new Windows Ultimate install,
    > somehow I have managed to duplicate all the folders under my user account
    > (Michael) within the Pictures Folder. I also have second Pictures folder
    > (plain looking yellow icon) that has just my pictMike ures. I want to get the
    > duplicates out of the Pictures Folder (i.e., Desktop or Documents, etc) so
    > they only show up once under my User Account Name and get the pictures into
    > the correct Pictures folder. I checked in the registry and under Current
    > User, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Explorer, Shell Folders;
    > all folders appear to be correct (C:\Users|Michael\Pictures, etc, except I
    > have one Registry Key that says: !Do not use this registry key and under Data
    > it says: Use the SHGetFolderPath or SHGetKnownFolderPath function instead.
    >
    > Are there any experts out there that can help me straighten this out?
    > --
    > Mike


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Maureen Guest

    RE: All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders



    "David H" wrote:

    > Mike i have the same problem if you find out how let me know. Also when I
    > save a file in docutments it also saves in my user folder.
    >
    > "Mike" wrote:
    >
    > > While moving files off one hard drive to the new Windows Ultimate install,
    > > somehow I have managed to duplicate all the folders under my user account
    > > (Michael) within the Pictures Folder. I also have second Pictures folder
    > > (plain looking yellow icon) that has just my pictMike ures. I want to get the
    > > duplicates out of the Pictures Folder (i.e., Desktop or Documents, etc) so
    > > they only show up once under my User Account Name and get the pictures into
    > > the correct Pictures folder. I checked in the registry and under Current
    > > User, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Explorer, Shell Folders;
    > > all folders appear to be correct (C:\Users|Michael\Pictures, etc, except I
    > > have one Registry Key that says: !Do not use this registry key and under Data
    > > it says: Use the SHGetFolderPath or SHGetKnownFolderPath function instead.
    > >
    > > Are there any experts out there that can help me straighten this out?
    > > --
    > > Mike


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Maureen Guest

    RE: All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders

    Dear Mike and David:
    Sorry about the earlier post, I am new to this and could not figure out
    how to reply to a post!
    I have the same problem as you two. Just transferred files from a XP
    machine to one running Vista with Easy Transfer over a network. Well, Easy
    Transfer hung up 3 times while in the middle or towards the end of the
    transfer. It said that my transfer would have to be restarted. Well, when I
    checked my Vista computer after restarting the transfers, I noticed my files
    have been duplicated and triplicated on my Vista machine.
    I need a quick fix to get rid of the duplicated files. I will deal
    with what was missed in the transfer later.



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Greg Lang Guest

    RE: All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders

    Same issue here. I had to restart Easty Transfer once half way through. It
    looks as if many of my files in the Pictures, Videos, and Music folders are
    duplicated. The duplicates have a "filename (1).jpg" naming format. I've
    downloaded a duplicate finding utility, and it didn't really solve the issue.
    I started deleting by hand, but then quickly realized the job was FAR too big
    to do manually. So... I'm going to wipe my new machine clean, and run Easy
    Tranfser again, hoping this time, no errors occur. Grrr....

    "Maureen" wrote:

    > Dear Mike and David:
    > Sorry about the earlier post, I am new to this and could not figure out
    > how to reply to a post!
    > I have the same problem as you two. Just transferred files from a XP
    > machine to one running Vista with Easy Transfer over a network. Well, Easy
    > Transfer hung up 3 times while in the middle or towards the end of the
    > transfer. It said that my transfer would have to be restarted. Well, when I
    > checked my Vista computer after restarting the transfers, I noticed my files
    > have been duplicated and triplicated on my Vista machine.
    > I need a quick fix to get rid of the duplicated files. I will deal
    > with what was missed in the transfer later.
    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Maureen Guest

    RE: All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders

    Greg, Mike and David:

    I only have two uses and only about 3,000 files a piece, so I went into
    windows explorer and did a search on "(1)", then "(2)", then "(3)" on each
    user. I deleted by hand all the duplicates. It took me hours. However, I
    know I still probably have some registry keys that are duplicated. Microsoft
    should be shot!!!! They should never have allowed annnnyyyy files to
    transfer unless the Easy Transfer completes. I have worked days on setting
    up other things on my Vista machine such as the router, networked my
    machines(this was not easy), the printer, the resolution for the TV. etc, etc
    and I really do not want to wipe everything clean and start from scratch.

    I even downloaded dupkiller, but it also gave me thousands of duplicate
    files and some I did not know whether it was safe to mess with, so I did not
    delete using dupkiller. By hand was probably the best way for me.


    >
    > >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Greg Lang Guest

    RE: All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders

    Luckily, I hadn't saved any new content to my new machine, so deleting
    everything and starting the transfer process again worked fine. My guess is
    that MOSTof the time, the easy transfer process works, we were just unlucky
    to encounter errors. I'm glad to report that after wiping everything, and
    re-transfering all images, videos and music files, all is well again, and I'm
    happy with my system now. But it did take more time that I expected due to
    the errors w/ easy transfer.

    Marueen, given all the mods you made to your system after the transfer,
    hand-deleting the dups was probably the right decision. I wish you luck!

    "Maureen" wrote:

    > Greg, Mike and David:
    >
    > I only have two uses and only about 3,000 files a piece, so I went into
    > windows explorer and did a search on "(1)", then "(2)", then "(3)" on each
    > user. I deleted by hand all the duplicates. It took me hours. However, I
    > know I still probably have some registry keys that are duplicated. Microsoft
    > should be shot!!!! They should never have allowed annnnyyyy files to
    > transfer unless the Easy Transfer completes. I have worked days on setting
    > up other things on my Vista machine such as the router, networked my
    > machines(this was not easy), the printer, the resolution for the TV. etc, etc
    > and I really do not want to wipe everything clean and start from scratch.
    >
    > I even downloaded dupkiller, but it also gave me thousands of duplicate
    > files and some I did not know whether it was safe to mess with, so I did not
    > delete using dupkiller. By hand was probably the best way for me.
    >
    >
    > >
    > > >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec


All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Start Menu folders no longer connected to corresponding user folders Vista General
Same message duplicated in folders Vista mail
user folders Vista account administration
Moving User Folders Corrupts Desktop, Favorites, Contacts and Documents Folders Vista General
new user folders Vista file management