Windows Vista Forums

Unable to Scroll Down in Windows

  1. #1


    BlueOval Guest

    Unable to Scroll Down in Windows

    I am unable to scroll down in any window while within the OS. While on the
    internet within my browser I'm fine; but as soon as try to explore my
    computer or read a document from Notepad or Wordpad or if I try to look at
    pictures I am unable to scroll down normally. I can force the application to
    scroll down, but as soon as I let go of the mouse button to get a look at a
    file further down the list, the window scrolls back up by itself to the top
    of the list. Extremely aggravating!! This is making it almost impossible to
    edit a document or move a file to another folder.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2
    Brink's Avatar

    Administrator


    Join Date : Apr 2007
    Texas, USA
    Posts : 31,222
    64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise (RTM)
    Local Time: 09:18 PM
    usa us texas

     

    Re: Unable to Scroll Down in Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueOval View Post
    I am unable to scroll down in any window while within the OS. While on the
    internet within my browser I'm fine; but as soon as try to explore my
    computer or read a document from Notepad or Wordpad or if I try to look at
    pictures I am unable to scroll down normally. I can force the application to
    scroll down, but as soon as I let go of the mouse button to get a look at a
    file further down the list, the window scrolls back up by itself to the top
    of the list. Extremely aggravating!! This is making it almost impossible to
    edit a document or move a file to another folder.
    Hi BlueOval,

    Have you tried restarting the computer to see if it will clear the problem? If it is just a quirk, this may do it.

    If you are not using a standard mouse, you might try reinstalling the drivers for it.

    Shawn

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] Guest

    Re: Unable to Scroll Down in Windows

    Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories and right-click
    on the Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator".
    Type in: SFC /SCANNOW and press your Enter key.

    This should replace/repair any corrupt files in the system.

    Have you installed any applications recently that might have triggered this?
    Video drivers updated?
    --
    Andre
    Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
    My Vista Quickstart Guide:
    http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog...3DB!9709.entry
    "BlueOval" <BlueOval@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:42AE33F0-3180-4371-8F98-71FD6D37B17C@xxxxxx

    >I am unable to scroll down in any window while within the OS. While on the
    > internet within my browser I'm fine; but as soon as try to explore my
    > computer or read a document from Notepad or Wordpad or if I try to look at
    > pictures I am unable to scroll down normally. I can force the application
    > to
    > scroll down, but as soon as I let go of the mouse button to get a look at
    > a
    > file further down the list, the window scrolls back up by itself to the
    > top
    > of the list. Extremely aggravating!! This is making it almost impossible
    > to
    > edit a document or move a file to another folder.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4


    BlueOval Guest

    Re: Unable to Scroll Down in Windows

    "Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" wrote:

    > Have you installed any applications recently that might have triggered this?
    > Video drivers updated?
    I ran SCANNOW and received this message:

    "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

    Of course, I am unable to view it via Windows Explorer since SCANNOW did not
    fix the scrolling issue; so I opened the log by searching for it explicitly.
    There is a great deal of information in the log - which of course I am unable
    to see all of it due to the scrolling issue.

    I have not updated video drivers since purchasing the machine in May or June
    of this year. The only thing I have been updating is the OS itself via
    Windows Update. As far as applications go, I am unsure what type of app would
    trigger this type of behavior; but I have very few apps installed as I am
    primarily a gamer. I can think of nothing that has been recently installed.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5
    Brink's Avatar

    Administrator


    Join Date : Apr 2007
    Texas, USA
    Posts : 31,222
    64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise (RTM)
    Local Time: 09:18 PM
    usa us texas

     

    Re: Unable to Scroll Down in Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueOval View Post
    I ran SCANNOW and received this message:

    "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

    Of course, I am unable to view it via Windows Explorer since SCANNOW did not
    fix the scrolling issue; so I opened the log by searching for it explicitly.
    There is a great deal of information in the log - which of course I am unable
    to see all of it due to the scrolling issue.

    I have not updated video drivers since purchasing the machine in May or June
    of this year. The only thing I have been updating is the OS itself via
    Windows Update. As far as applications go, I am unsure what type of app would
    trigger this type of behavior; but I have very few apps installed as I am
    primarily a gamer. I can think of nothing that has been recently installed.
    BlueOval,

    I would do a Repair Install. This will allow you to repair your Vista installation without loosing your files, settings, and programs.

    Repair Install For Vista

    Shawn

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6


    BlueOval Guest

    Re: Unable to Scroll Down in Windows

    "brink" wrote:

    >
    > BlueOval,
    >
    > I would do a Repair Install. This will allow you to repair your Vista
    > installation without loosing your files, settings, and programs.
    >
    > Repair Install For Vista
    >
    > Shawn
    Thanks, but this is on a laptop which came with a "Recovery CD" as opposed
    to a retail boxed version of the OS. So I would have to essentially wipe my
    drive and start fresh. This would ordinarily be an unacceptable solution;
    however I'm just about to build myself a desktop which will become my primary
    gaming machine, so I'll probably go ahead and start fresh on my laptop.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7


    Andrew Rossmann Guest

    Re: Unable to Scroll Down in Windows

    In article <42AE33F0-3180-4371-8F98-71FD6D37B17C@xxxxxx>,
    BlueOval@xxxxxx says...

    > I am unable to scroll down in any window while within the OS. While on the
    > internet within my browser I'm fine; but as soon as try to explore my
    > computer or read a document from Notepad or Wordpad or if I try to look at
    > pictures I am unable to scroll down normally. I can force the application to
    > scroll down, but as soon as I let go of the mouse button to get a look at a
    > file further down the list, the window scrolls back up by itself to the top
    > of the list. Extremely aggravating!! This is making it almost impossible to
    > edit a document or move a file to another folder.
    Do you have any manufacturer specific mouse drivers installed? If so,
    have you tried uninstalling them so Vista uses stock drivers? Or maybe
    there is some odd setting you changed. Also, since it's a laptop (as
    mentioned in a later post), maybe it's a broken or malfunctioning
    touchpad or pointing stick? Sometimes you can disable them and use a
    normal mouse to see if that helps.

    In text, can you use the arrow keys to scroll the cursor? When you say
    'force the scroll', how do you force it?

    --
    If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
    All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8


    BlueOval Guest

    Re: Unable to Scroll Down in Windows

    I normally use a Logitech G7 which is a cordless laser mouse. I have had the
    drivers for it installed ever since purchase of the laptop. I rarely use the
    touchpad, but have tried using that instead of the mouse since this problem
    began with no change.

    I said I was fine within the browser, but since posting I've noticed that if
    I come across an online form with multiple choices within a box which
    requires you to press an arrow key to see all the choices, that the dropdown
    menu simply blinks rapidly not allowing me to make a choice or even to read
    what choices there are. In this case I have been able to use the arrow keys
    to scroll up or down within the box to see what the choices are.

    By forcing the scroll I mean that I hold down my left mouse button on either
    the down arrow or the scroll bar itself on the side of the window and drag
    the mouse down the slider. When doing this the text blinks rapidly not really
    allowing me to see what is below although the slider itself does move down
    the page. Once I let go of the left mouse button, I can see where I am in the
    document; but then the slider rises to the top of the scroll bar all by
    itself.

    The only setting I've changed in the OS is to disable the UAC. Other than
    that I have not messed with the OS at all. I really don't have many apps
    installed either since virtually nothing was available for Vista at the time
    I bought it and, as I've said, I'm primarily a gamer so I don't have any
    pressing need for apps.

    Other than games the only programs I've installed are ZoneAlarm, AVG,
    WinRAR, iTunes, Abexo (which is a Registry cleaner for Vista), A-squared,
    CCleaner, DivX, IObit SmartDefrag (a defragger for Vista), OpenOffice,
    QuickTime, and Winamp.

    Other than the mouse, I don't connect any devices such as digital cameras or
    webcams to this computer - for that I use my old laptop which has XP Pro on
    it. I'm about to build myself a gaming desktop for which I bought XP Pro - so
    far Vista sucks a$$.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9


    BlueOval Guest

    Re: Unable to Scroll Down in Windows

    A friend of mine suggested that it might be a keyboard problem and I had
    noticed recently that several keys were sticking; so I installed a USB
    keyboard that I had lying around and drivers for it, but I'm still
    experiencing the same problem.

    I also updated drivers for sound, display and wi-fi via my manufacturer's
    site and flashed to the latest BIOS. No joy. In fact, I'm now seeing the
    problem crop up in my browser in Manage Bookmarks.

    Can anyone think of something else to try short of formatting and
    reinstalling the OS? Because that's essentially what my Recovery CD will do...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


Unable to Scroll Down in Windows
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
scroll bar in windows mail Vista mail
Scroll bar in pop up windows not working Vista General
Scroll wheel on mouse doesnt scroll page Vista installation & setup
Scroll bar in Windows Mail Vista mail
Windows Explorer Scroll Bar Vista file management