Windows Vista Forums

Access to recycle bin with Windows has stopped working error

  1. #1


    john Guest

    Access to recycle bin with Windows has stopped working error

    Hi all:
    I sent some files to the recycle bin that I would like to restore. I also
    sent some suspect files which I were causing a "Windows has stopped working"
    error when I clicked them. Now when I try to look at the files in RB to
    restore them, I get the same error plus a "windows host process run dll32 has
    stopped working" and cannot access files in rb. System restore does not help
    the problem.
    Any way I can get my files back and dispose of the suspect files?
    Thanks
    --
    john

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    SKM Guest

    RE: Access to recycle bin with Windows has stopped working error

    John,
    I dont know what the dll32 stop is all about. Assuming that it is not a
    major problem, I suggest the following two alternatives to try to recover the
    file.
    1) Search for the file from START -> SEARCH --> <type your filename in
    box>, or
    2) Search for the file from START -> SEARCH --> "Recent" -- this may give
    you a link to the file that will let you open it (long shot) and you can then
    save the file.

    Then, do a thorough cleanup and defragment with the following.
    1) Go to email and delete all things in Junk Email, Spam Killer, whatever
    you can delete from "Draft Items" and then in "Deleted Items".
    2) Search for TEMP and delete all TEMP directory Contents
    3) Search for Recent and delete all Recent items
    4) Open Google --> Tools --> Delete Browsing History --> (Either Delete all
    Browsing History, or click on the first three boxes)
    5) Start -> Computer -> [right click on clomputer] You are on the "General"
    tab ->Disk Cleanup -> Files from All Users on this Computer -> Go to "More
    Options" tab - here, you may want to delete old Systems Restore and Shadow
    Copies - Go back to "Disk Cleanup" tab - select everything you want to delete
    (I check everything ususally) and click OK
    6) Now you are back at Computer Properties. Go to the "Tools" tab and click
    on "Defragment Now" and click on "Defragment Now"

    This whole process, especially step 5 and more so step 6, may take a while
    to complete, but should help rid of unwanted stuff. It is worth the effort..
    I also have scheduled to defragment every day and have a *MUCH* healthier
    faster computer as a result.

    "john" wrote:

    > Hi all:
    > I sent some files to the recycle bin that I would like to restore. I also
    > sent some suspect files which I were causing a "Windows has stopped working"
    > error when I clicked them. Now when I try to look at the files in RB to
    > restore them, I get the same error plus a "windows host process run dll32 has
    > stopped working" and cannot access files in rb. System restore does not help
    > the problem.
    > Any way I can get my files back and dispose of the suspect files?
    > Thanks
    > --
    > john

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    john Guest

    RE: Access to recycle bin with Windows has stopped working error

    Thanks for your response.
    I was able to isolate then delete the offensive file by some very fast
    mouse clicks
    before the error messages denied me access to the recycle bin.
    Low tech I know but it worked.

    Thanks again
    --
    john


    "SKM" wrote:

    > John,
    > I dont know what the dll32 stop is all about. Assuming that it is not a
    > major problem, I suggest the following two alternatives to try to recover the
    > file.
    > 1) Search for the file from START -> SEARCH --> <type your filename in
    > box>, or
    > 2) Search for the file from START -> SEARCH --> "Recent" -- this may give
    > you a link to the file that will let you open it (long shot) and you can then
    > save the file.
    >
    > Then, do a thorough cleanup and defragment with the following.
    > 1) Go to email and delete all things in Junk Email, Spam Killer, whatever
    > you can delete from "Draft Items" and then in "Deleted Items".
    > 2) Search for TEMP and delete all TEMP directory Contents
    > 3) Search for Recent and delete all Recent items
    > 4) Open Google --> Tools --> Delete Browsing History --> (Either Delete all
    > Browsing History, or click on the first three boxes)
    > 5) Start -> Computer -> [right click on clomputer] You are on the "General"
    > tab ->Disk Cleanup -> Files from All Users on this Computer -> Go to "More
    > Options" tab - here, you may want to delete old Systems Restore and Shadow
    > Copies - Go back to "Disk Cleanup" tab - select everything you want to delete
    > (I check everything ususally) and click OK
    > 6) Now you are back at Computer Properties. Go to the "Tools" tab and click
    > on "Defragment Now" and click on "Defragment Now"
    >
    > This whole process, especially step 5 and more so step 6, may take a while
    > to complete, but should help rid of unwanted stuff. It is worth the effort..
    > I also have scheduled to defragment every day and have a *MUCH* healthier
    > faster computer as a result.
    >
    > "john" wrote:
    >

    > > Hi all:
    > > I sent some files to the recycle bin that I would like to restore. I also
    > > sent some suspect files which I were causing a "Windows has stopped working"
    > > error when I clicked them. Now when I try to look at the files in RB to
    > > restore them, I get the same error plus a "windows host process run dll32 has
    > > stopped working" and cannot access files in rb. System restore does not help
    > > the problem.
    > > Any way I can get my files back and dispose of the suspect files?
    > > Thanks
    > > --
    > > john

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    SKM Guest

    RE: Access to recycle bin with Windows has stopped working error

    John,
    Now that the offensive file is gone, you still need to ensure that it has
    not snuck in bad stuff into your computer. I recommend doing steps 1 through
    6 as well the following.
    7) Search for RECENT and then delete items within the directory RECENT
    8) Search for TEMP and then delete items within the directory TEMP
    9) Search for Cookie*.* and then delete items you did not save yourself
    (like certificates)


    "john" wrote:

    > Thanks for your response.
    > I was able to isolate then delete the offensive file by some very fast
    > mouse clicks
    > before the error messages denied me access to the recycle bin.
    > Low tech I know but it worked.
    >
    > Thanks again
    > --
    > john
    >
    >
    > "SKM" wrote:
    >

    > > John,
    > > I dont know what the dll32 stop is all about. Assuming that it is not a
    > > major problem, I suggest the following two alternatives to try to recover the
    > > file.
    > > 1) Search for the file from START -> SEARCH --> <type your filename in
    > > box>, or
    > > 2) Search for the file from START -> SEARCH --> "Recent" -- this may give
    > > you a link to the file that will let you open it (long shot) and you can then
    > > save the file.
    > >
    > > Then, do a thorough cleanup and defragment with the following.
    > > 1) Go to email and delete all things in Junk Email, Spam Killer, whatever
    > > you can delete from "Draft Items" and then in "Deleted Items".
    > > 2) Search for TEMP and delete all TEMP directory Contents
    > > 3) Search for Recent and delete all Recent items
    > > 4) Open Google --> Tools --> Delete Browsing History --> (Either Delete all
    > > Browsing History, or click on the first three boxes)
    > > 5) Start -> Computer -> [right click on clomputer] You are on the "General"
    > > tab ->Disk Cleanup -> Files from All Users on this Computer -> Go to "More
    > > Options" tab - here, you may want to delete old Systems Restore and Shadow
    > > Copies - Go back to "Disk Cleanup" tab - select everything you want to delete
    > > (I check everything ususally) and click OK
    > > 6) Now you are back at Computer Properties. Go to the "Tools" tab and click
    > > on "Defragment Now" and click on "Defragment Now"
    > >
    > > This whole process, especially step 5 and more so step 6, may take a while
    > > to complete, but should help rid of unwanted stuff. It is worth the effort..
    > > I also have scheduled to defragment every day and have a *MUCH* healthier
    > > faster computer as a result.
    > >
    > > "john" wrote:
    > >

    > > > Hi all:
    > > > I sent some files to the recycle bin that I would like to restore. I also
    > > > sent some suspect files which I were causing a "Windows has stopped working"
    > > > error when I clicked them. Now when I try to look at the files in RB to
    > > > restore them, I get the same error plus a "windows host process run dll32 has
    > > > stopped working" and cannot access files in rb. System restore does not help
    > > > the problem.
    > > > Any way I can get my files back and dispose of the suspect files?
    > > > Thanks
    > > > --
    > > > john

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Access to recycle bin with Windows has stopped working error

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Ms access and excel has stopped working
Hi When I try to open MS Access and Excel, I get a message which says ' MS Access has stpped working', I get the same message even on Excel. ...
Software
Microsoft Access has stopped working - close program
After installing a new program (Access based) when I open it starts checking for updates on a website and then says checking for updates, then...
Vista General
windows mail stopped working with error number 0x800CCC69 please h
as above, thanks a lot, Greg
Vista mail
Error Windows Mail has stopped working
I am receiving the message "Windows Mail has stopped working" when I try to close my windows mail. Then it informs me that it is starting windows...
Vista mail
error: windows explorer has stopped working, when right-click on desktop
error: windows explorer has stopped working, when right-click on desktop Any ideas on how to stop this. It happens everytime.
Vista General
Error: Windows host process (rundll32) has stopped working....
So, on certain mpg files, i get this error when it tries to bring up a thumb image. Same thing when i encode an file to a dvd mpg2 file, i get this...
Vista performance & maintenance
Windows System Assessment Tool Has stopped working Error?
Hi, I am a tech, this is my first time installing Vista Home Basic, The Windows System Assessment Tool, will NOT finish, it ERRORS out at randome...
Vista General