Windows Vista Forums

vista problems with update

  1. #1


    Justin Guest

    vista problems with update

    After posting my original thread and noting probs with start up repair, my
    local computer man has said he has had a few people with problems with their
    computers and that he can fix if if i bring it in - this will not involve
    losing all my data either. So as I know how good he is i will be taking it
    in for repair. Check out your local repair centres for help. He also
    advised me never to accept any updates from vista!!

    How come Microsoft have not even acknowledged there is a problem with these
    updates yet? Where is their moral responsibility?



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2


    Bob J Guest

    RE: vista problems with update

    I think you should clarify his advice - there is nothing wrong with
    downloading OS updates from MS - I think what he meant or said was not to
    accept MS updates for devices or other products installed on your computer.
    In the 2 yrs that I have had Vista installed on my computers, OS upgrades
    have all installed OK and that includes SP1.
    I have only had one (1) OS update ( it was an optional upgrade which I
    thought I may require) that caused a bit of a problem.
    Suggest that you set your MS upgrade to advise you that upgrades are
    available and you decide if and when to install them.
    Critical & recommended update I accept, Optional updates I now consider if
    they are really required. If you are unsure about updates do a KB search of
    MS and check out what the update is about.
    --
    Regards
    Bob J
    If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
    another source,post back & let us know.
    Then we all benefit.



    "Justin" wrote:

    > After posting my original thread and noting probs with start up repair, my
    > local computer man has said he has had a few people with problems with their
    > computers and that he can fix if if i bring it in - this will not involve
    > losing all my data either. So as I know how good he is i will be taking it
    > in for repair. Check out your local repair centres for help. He also
    > advised me never to accept any updates from vista!!
    >
    > How come Microsoft have not even acknowledged there is a problem with these
    > updates yet? Where is their moral responsibility?
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    Mick Murphy Guest

    RE: vista problems with update

    The computer man would have been talking about Hardware Driver updates, NOT
    MS updates in general!
    Change the Auto update settings to Notify you when updates are ready to be
    downloaded and installed.
    Then you can see what you want, and don't want!
    --
    Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


    "Justin" wrote:

    > After posting my original thread and noting probs with start up repair, my
    > local computer man has said he has had a few people with problems with their
    > computers and that he can fix if if i bring it in - this will not involve
    > losing all my data either. So as I know how good he is i will be taking it
    > in for repair. Check out your local repair centres for help. He also
    > advised me never to accept any updates from vista!!
    >
    > How come Microsoft have not even acknowledged there is a problem with these
    > updates yet? Where is their moral responsibility?
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4
    wizardcia's Avatar

    Member
    Join Date : May 2008
    Greece
    Posts : 52
    Vista Ultimate x86
    Local Time: 09:01 AM
    greece

     

    Re: vista problems with update

    Well i had driver problems with my printer and after downloading updates i got it solved so updates are vital for pc sometimes.
    And updates are better to be installed on time. I have auto-updates on, but if something goes wrong i would simply uninstall it and return my pc condition back to normal (IF NEEDED)

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5


    Justin Guest

    Re: vista problems with update

    This is all well and good if you can get back into your computer to undo the
    damage. Unfortunately after the update I could not even get past the Start
    up repair. It would not even restore to an earlier date. I understand that
    updates are quite important, but unfortunately do not understand all of them.
    I will turn off the auto update and study them more carefully in future.

    "wizardcia" wrote:

    >
    > Well i had driver problems with my printer and after downloading updates
    > i got it solved so updates are vital for pc sometimes.
    > And updates are better to be installed on time. I have auto-updates on,
    > but if something goes wrong i would simply uninstall it and return my pc
    > condition back to normal (IF NEEDED)
    >
    >
    > --
    > wizardcia
    >
    > Dont hate the HACKER, Hate the CODE
    > 'HERE'
    > (http://mikrosmc.hi5.com/friend/photo...erId=168337056)
    > are my sketches, please take a look.
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6


    Justin Guest

    RE: vista problems with update



    "Bob J" wrote:

    > I think you should clarify his advice - there is nothing wrong with
    > downloading OS updates from MS - I think what he meant or said was not to
    > accept MS updates for devices or other products installed on your computer.
    > In the 2 yrs that I have had Vista installed on my computers, OS upgrades
    > have all installed OK and that includes SP1.
    > I have only had one (1) OS update ( it was an optional upgrade which I
    > thought I may require) that caused a bit of a problem.
    > Suggest that you set your MS upgrade to advise you that upgrades are
    > available and you decide if and when to install them.
    > Critical & recommended update I accept, Optional updates I now consider if
    > they are really required. If you are unsure about updates do a KB search of
    > MS and check out what the update is about.
    > --
    > Regards
    > Bob J
    > If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
    > another source,post back & let us know.
    > Then we all benefit.
    >
    >
    >
    > "Justin" wrote:
    >

    > > After posting my original thread and noting probs with start up repair, my
    > > local computer man has said he has had a few people with problems with their
    > > computers and that he can fix if if i bring it in - this will not involve
    > > losing all my data either. So as I know how good he is i will be taking it
    > > in for repair. Check out your local repair centres for help. He also
    > > advised me never to accept any updates from vista!!
    > >
    > > How come Microsoft have not even acknowledged there is a problem with these
    > > updates yet? Where is their moral responsibility?
    > >
    > > Hey Bob,
    Not sure what updates were installed, it was the ones upon shut down that
    says Updates are available install on shutdown! Anyway, my computer man just
    commented that he had a few computers in last week doing the same as mine
    after installing the updates, and there seems to be a prob with this last
    update. Someone at work has had the same prob and all running Vista. He is
    going to repair it working externally from the machine (whatever that means)
    and restore the OS. If i understand what he tells me the prob was, I'll post
    it here so you can all read it.......don't hold you breath though (about me
    understanding it that is!!)

    Thanks for you help and advice though, it is appreciated and I will turn off
    Auto install for updates and be a bit more selective on what I install.

    Here hoping!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7


    Justin Guest

    RE: vista problems with update

    Thanks Mick, will do! Didn't know they did hardware updates - just assumed
    they were software updates.
    Hopefully it will be ok after repair.

    "Mick Murphy" wrote:

    > The computer man would have been talking about Hardware Driver updates, NOT
    > MS updates in general!
    > Change the Auto update settings to Notify you when updates are ready to be
    > downloaded and installed.
    > Then you can see what you want, and don't want!
    > --
    > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
    >
    >
    > "Justin" wrote:
    >

    > > After posting my original thread and noting probs with start up repair, my
    > > local computer man has said he has had a few people with problems with their
    > > computers and that he can fix if if i bring it in - this will not involve
    > > losing all my data either. So as I know how good he is i will be taking it
    > > in for repair. Check out your local repair centres for help. He also
    > > advised me never to accept any updates from vista!!
    > >
    > > How come Microsoft have not even acknowledged there is a problem with these
    > > updates yet? Where is their moral responsibility?
    > >
    > >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8


    Milt Guest

    Re: vista problems with update

    Justin wrote:

    > After posting my original thread and noting probs with start up repair, my
    > local computer man has said he has had a few people with problems with their
    > computers and that he can fix if if i bring it in - this will not involve
    > losing all my data either. So as I know how good he is i will be taking it
    > in for repair. Check out your local repair centres for help. He also
    > advised me never to accept any updates from vista!!
    >
    > How come Microsoft have not even acknowledged there is a problem with these
    > updates yet? Where is their moral responsibility?
    >
    >
    I would never trust a "local computer man" that says not to trust any
    updates from MS for Vista. I would have to question if he actually knows
    what he is talking about or just CLAIMS to know. I've known many
    people that "claim" to be computer experts but didn't know a damn thing.

    Also, MS has no "moral responsibility" when it comes to updates. Fact
    is, with the numerous software/hardware combos out there. Problems are
    bound to occur, but its no one's "fault". MS is not doing it on purpose,
    nor are they idiots, etc... just its impossible to test every
    hardware/software combo existing.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9


    Justin Guest

    Re: vista problems with update



    "Milt" wrote:

    > Justin wrote:

    > > After posting my original thread and noting probs with start up repair, my
    > > local computer man has said he has had a few people with problems with their
    > > computers and that he can fix if if i bring it in - this will not involve
    > > losing all my data either. So as I know how good he is i will be taking it
    > > in for repair. Check out your local repair centres for help. He also
    > > advised me never to accept any updates from vista!!
    > >
    > > How come Microsoft have not even acknowledged there is a problem with these
    > > updates yet? Where is their moral responsibility?
    > >
    > >
    >
    > I would never trust a "local computer man" that says not to trust any
    > updates from MS for Vista. I would have to question if he actually knows
    > what he is talking about or just CLAIMS to know. I've known many
    > people that "claim" to be computer experts but didn't know a damn thing.
    >
    > Also, MS has no "moral responsibility" when it comes to updates. Fact
    > is, with the numerous software/hardware combos out there. Problems are
    > bound to occur, but its no one's "fault". MS is not doing it on purpose,
    > nor are they idiots, etc... just its impossible to test every
    > hardware/software combo existing.
    Thanks for your comments - I trust this man completely as he has helped me
    out numerous times. This is my 18yr old sons laptop, and even though I am
    quite computer savvy, even I could not figure out this problem. My CM is
    always on hand with advice on the phone and in person and only ever charges
    me about 20 bucks to fix issues I have had with computers in the past, so I
    know I am not getting ripped off. I understand that MS are not doing this on
    purpose but I would suggest if they are getting lots of probs with peoples
    computers then maybe they should at least warn or advice people of how to
    deal with this issue. Just my opinion and not a vendetta against MS.

    Thanks anyway.

    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10


    Justin Guest

    vista problems with update

    A lot of people buy computers that have little or no knowledge of how they
    work but get buy but when things like this happen, they end up going to
    expensive computer shops to get them sorted - it's a shame!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


vista problems with update
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Vista Update Problems Windows Updates
vista update problems Windows Updates
Severe problems after Vista update Vista General
Vista failing to update; other problems Vista performance & maintenance
Vista Update Problems Vista General