I had the problem that some of my .chm help files didn't work and the viewer
displayed a error like "This program cannot display the webpage"
(german:"Dieses Programm kann die Webseite nicht anzeigen.")
Strangely enough some other files worked fine.
I tried some solutions I found, but they all did not work. Anyway here is
what i did:
1. delete C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\HTML Help\hh.dat
2. clearing %tmp%
I also adapted the path for
which seems to be the new folder.
5. set user rights to full file access
Finally I found out the it is depending on the path the .chm file is placed.
It did not work if the path to the file includes a # char anywhere in the
If you have the chm file open and right click on the help file in the task
bar there is a menu item "Jump to URL..." (German: "Zur URL springen...")
which displays the current URL. Here you can see what went wrong:
Some function placed a / in the path, i guess to escape the first #
To avoid the problem you can copy the help file to another directory and it
works just fine:
I guess the problem is that the # char is allowed in directory paths but not
--- Used Versions
HTML Help Control Version 6.0
Vista SP1 (32bit)
Have a nice day.