Windows Vista Forums

What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

  1. #1


    Brad Feldstein Guest

    What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

    I upgraded from Windows XP MCE to Windows Vista Home Premium. Now my cursor
    jumps all over the place. I downloaded compatible drivers, but still
    doesn't help. Any suggestions as to a fix? Thanks.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Mark \(MCP\) Guest

    Re: What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

    If using a wireless mouse, check the batteries. I use a Microsoft USB
    wireless mouse and when the batteries run low, this causes the mouse pointer
    to act erratic.

    "Brad Feldstein" <netter@infionline.net> wrote in message
    news:0D58F133-15D5-440E-A749-D68C178794CB@microsoft.com...
    >I upgraded from Windows XP MCE to Windows Vista Home Premium. Now my
    >cursor jumps all over the place. I downloaded compatible drivers, but
    >still doesn't help. Any suggestions as to a fix? Thanks.




      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    DevilsPGD Guest

    Re: What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

    In message <0D58F133-15D5-440E-A749-D68C178794CB@microsoft.com> "Brad
    Feldstein" <netter@infionline.net> wrote:

    >I upgraded from Windows XP MCE to Windows Vista Home Premium. Now my cursor
    >jumps all over the place. I downloaded compatible drivers, but still
    >doesn't help. Any suggestions as to a fix? Thanks.


    Stupid question, but is it jumping to "OK" buttons on dialogs when
    dialogs open?
    --
    Insert something clever here.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Richard in AZ Guest

    Re: What makes the cursor jump all over the place?


    "DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
    news:luejt295hdljr7dur7dcda8m2f3paai8lo@4ax.com...
    > In message <0D58F133-15D5-440E-A749-D68C178794CB@microsoft.com> "Brad
    > Feldstein" <netter@infionline.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I upgraded from Windows XP MCE to Windows Vista Home Premium. Now my cursor
    >>jumps all over the place. I downloaded compatible drivers, but still
    >>doesn't help. Any suggestions as to a fix? Thanks.

    >
    > Stupid question, but is it jumping to "OK" buttons on dialogs when
    > dialogs open?
    > --
    > Insert something clever here.


    Go to the mouse control in the Control Panel.
    Uncheck the options to "automatically move pointer to default button"



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    mads_bs Guest

    Re: What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

    I bought a new laptop with Vista (32) on it. No matter if I use the build-in
    touchpad or a USB-mouse (non-wireless), I get the same problem as Brad when
    working with Office 2007, Windows Mail and even with html-forms like this
    one. The cursor will arbitrarily jump to another place in the sentence, and
    sometimes to another form field too.

    This is ver yannoying, so I'd appriciate any helpful comments too.

    "DevilsPGD" wrote:

    > In message <0D58F133-15D5-440E-A749-D68C178794CB@microsoft.com> "Brad
    > Feldstein" <netter@infionline.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I upgraded from Windows XP MCE to Windows Vista Home Premium. Now my cursor
    > >jumps all over the place. I downloaded compatible drivers, but still
    > >doesn't help. Any suggestions as to a fix? Thanks.

    >
    > Stupid question, but is it jumping to "OK" buttons on dialogs when
    > dialogs open?
    > --
    > Insert something clever here.
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    DevilsPGD Guest

    Re: What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

    In message <04E6FC93-A694-4322-8448-2646F087CF80@microsoft.com> mads_bs
    <mads_bs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I bought a new laptop with Vista (32) on it. No matter if I use the build-in
    >touchpad or a USB-mouse (non-wireless), I get the same problem as Brad when
    >working with Office 2007, Windows Mail and even with html-forms like this
    >one. The cursor will arbitrarily jump to another place in the sentence, and
    >sometimes to another form field too.
    >
    >This is ver yannoying, so I'd appriciate any helpful comments too.


    Could you be bumping your touchpad? One of my laptops is *extremely*
    sensitive by default -- In the factory installed XP, it used the
    Synaptics drivers' "PalmCheck" feature to tone down the sensitivity
    somewhat.
    --
    Insert something clever here.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    mads_bs Guest

    Re: What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

    Nope - the problem persists, even when I make all efforts to avoid the
    touchpad. But I'll definately try out an updated Synaptics driver, since I
    cannot find a dedicated driver for the touchpad - seems to work on the PS/2
    mouse driver (how can this be true?)

    "DevilsPGD" wrote:

    > In message <04E6FC93-A694-4322-8448-2646F087CF80@microsoft.com> mads_bs
    > <mads_bs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I bought a new laptop with Vista (32) on it. No matter if I use the build-in
    > >touchpad or a USB-mouse (non-wireless), I get the same problem as Brad when
    > >working with Office 2007, Windows Mail and even with html-forms like this
    > >one. The cursor will arbitrarily jump to another place in the sentence, and
    > >sometimes to another form field too.
    > >
    > >This is ver yannoying, so I'd appriciate any helpful comments too.

    >
    > Could you be bumping your touchpad? One of my laptops is *extremely*
    > sensitive by default -- In the factory installed XP, it used the
    > Synaptics drivers' "PalmCheck" feature to tone down the sensitivity
    > somewhat.
    > --
    > Insert something clever here.
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    DevilsPGD Guest

    Re: What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

    In message <31E2F66A-3834-41D7-869D-8EA3A0B43A68@microsoft.com> mads_bs
    <madsbs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Nope - the problem persists, even when I make all efforts to avoid the
    >touchpad. But I'll definately try out an updated Synaptics driver, since I
    >cannot find a dedicated driver for the touchpad - seems to work on the PS/2
    >mouse driver (how can this be true?)


    It's easier to wire the touchpad to the chipset's existing PS/2 ports
    then to sacrifice one of the external USB ports and/or add an additional
    USB chip or hub.
    --
    Insert something clever here.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    mars373 Guest

    Re: What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

    I figured out what is making the mouse cursor jump so much. If you brush the
    touchpad in two different spots in close succession (timewise) the cursor
    leaps from one point to another following the vector between the first and
    second point, so the trick is to guard against this. Hope this helps you out
    there who posted jumpy cursor issues.


    "mads_bs" wrote:

    > Nope - the problem persists, even when I make all efforts to avoid the
    > touchpad. But I'll definately try out an updated Synaptics driver, since I
    > cannot find a dedicated driver for the touchpad - seems to work on the PS/2
    > mouse driver (how can this be true?)
    >
    > "DevilsPGD" wrote:
    >
    > > In message <04E6FC93-A694-4322-8448-2646F087CF80@microsoft.com> mads_bs
    > > <mads_bs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I bought a new laptop with Vista (32) on it. No matter if I use the build-in
    > > >touchpad or a USB-mouse (non-wireless), I get the same problem as Brad when
    > > >working with Office 2007, Windows Mail and even with html-forms like this
    > > >one. The cursor will arbitrarily jump to another place in the sentence, and
    > > >sometimes to another form field too.
    > > >
    > > >This is ver yannoying, so I'd appriciate any helpful comments too.

    > >
    > > Could you be bumping your touchpad? One of my laptops is *extremely*
    > > sensitive by default -- In the factory installed XP, it used the
    > > Synaptics drivers' "PalmCheck" feature to tone down the sensitivity
    > > somewhat.
    > > --
    > > Insert something clever here.
    > >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Warkworth Guest

    Re: What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

    not using wireless...any other suggestions...much worse today...tried
    everything...just try to catch the mouse in the control panel....not
    possible! Problem only occurs when cursor on internet page or email. Pointer
    off the page...not a problem. Help!
    --
    Judy


    "Mark (MCP)" wrote:

    > If using a wireless mouse, check the batteries. I use a Microsoft USB
    > wireless mouse and when the batteries run low, this causes the mouse pointer
    > to act erratic.
    >
    > "Brad Feldstein" <netter@infionline.net> wrote in message
    > news:0D58F133-15D5-440E-A749-D68C178794CB@microsoft.com...
    > >I upgraded from Windows XP MCE to Windows Vista Home Premium. Now my
    > >cursor jumps all over the place. I downloaded compatible drivers, but
    > >still doesn't help. Any suggestions as to a fix? Thanks.

    >
    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
What makes the cursor jump all over the place?

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing
i can be typing along and all of a sudden a new window pops up or my cursor jumps to another spot in the page. Basically it jumps to wherever I...
Vista hardware & devices
cursor jump
when I am typing an email message the cursor will junp to a previous line or a few spaces back, making sending email a real task. any info?
Vista mail
shifted cursor in Vista makes navigation difficult
Ok, here's a problem I haven't seen anyone ask about: when I bought a new machine with Vista on it, I immediately noticed that I was having trouble...
Vista General
Shift Key - How to turn off cursor jump function
I have a new Acer Laptop with an extremely large and sensitive shift key. If you just barely graze the key it will jump to cursor to a new location...
Vista General
Putting a certificate in the proper place after accidentally puttingit in the wrong place
We have a network printer and I have enabled security on it. Therefore, when I use the web interface or use software (that came with the printer)...
Vista security
Can't place cursor or tab into "password" fields
I'm trying to help my mother-in-law configure her new HP computer with Vista. Unfortunately, I'm 3,000 miles away, am using XP myself, and have to...
Vista General
For every 1 dollar MS makes the rest of the world makes 18...
I wont comment on the following.. http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=36422 Vista Boosts Tech IndustryPosted by Daniel Fleshbourne on...
Vista General