Windows Vista Forums

Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings

  1. #1


    sgk00 Guest

    Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings

    I use an external monitor with my laptop for a dual monitor extended desktop.
    I want the external monitor to be the primary. This is easily setup via my
    video driver software, windows display settings, or third party SW like
    UltrMon. The problem is at logon Windows Vista resets the display settings
    to make the Laptop screen the primary display, and changes the "layout" of
    the monitor locations, and sometimes the refresh rate of the external
    monitor. This happens at any logon whether from system restart or a simple
    logon from locking the system.

    I experimented with UltraMon to see if simply forcing the display settings I
    want via the StartUp menu would work. It appears the change Vista causes
    happens after the services and StartUp programs load. This seems consistent
    with the fact that a simple unlock logon causes the same problem.

    Note: the reset occurs at the end of the logon sequence. The logon screen
    itself is always positioned correctly, and the desktop is redrawn properly on
    both monitors until the end of the sequence when the display is changed.

    System Info: Dell XPS M1212 Laptop, NVidia Ge Force Go 7400 Adapter, Dell
    2007WFP external Monitor, Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade, all latest
    drivers from Dell and MS, clean system (only OEM as delivered software with a
    by the book upgrade to Vista), software passed vista compatibility checks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2


    sgk00 Guest

    RE: Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings

    I think I solved my own problem. After a second pass at selectively enabling
    each service, I found that disabling "Windows Event Log" solved the
    problem... at least for now.

    Right click the Computer Icon, select Manage, open Services and
    Applications, open the Services snap in, find "Windows Event Log", right
    click "Windows Event Log", select Properties, in the dialog select Disable.
    The restart.

    Hope this helps others

    "sgk00" wrote:

    > I use an external monitor with my laptop for a dual monitor extended desktop.
    > I want the external monitor to be the primary. This is easily setup via my
    > video driver software, windows display settings, or third party SW like
    > UltrMon. The problem is at logon Windows Vista resets the display settings
    > to make the Laptop screen the primary display, and changes the "layout" of
    > the monitor locations, and sometimes the refresh rate of the external
    > monitor. This happens at any logon whether from system restart or a simple
    > logon from locking the system.
    >
    > I experimented with UltraMon to see if simply forcing the display settings I
    > want via the StartUp menu would work. It appears the change Vista causes
    > happens after the services and StartUp programs load. This seems consistent
    > with the fact that a simple unlock logon causes the same problem.
    >
    > Note: the reset occurs at the end of the logon sequence. The logon screen
    > itself is always positioned correctly, and the desktop is redrawn properly on
    > both monitors until the end of the sequence when the display is changed.
    >
    > System Info: Dell XPS M1212 Laptop, NVidia Ge Force Go 7400 Adapter, Dell
    > 2007WFP external Monitor, Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade, all latest
    > drivers from Dell and MS, clean system (only OEM as delivered software with a
    > by the book upgrade to Vista), software passed vista compatibility checks.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    yerfttam@gmail.com Guest

    Re: Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings

    On Mar 22, 1:53 am, sgk00 <s...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > I think I solved my own problem. After a second pass at selectively enabling
    > each service, I found that disabling "Windows Event Log" solved the
    > problem... at least for now.
    >
    > Right click the Computer Icon, select Manage, open Services and
    > Applications, open the Services snap in, find "Windows Event Log", right
    > click "Windows Event Log", select Properties, in the dialog select Disable.
    > The restart.
    >
    > Hope this helps others
    >
    >
    >
    > "sgk00" wrote:
    > > I use an externalmonitorwith my laptop for adualmonitorextended desktop.
    > > I want the externalmonitorto be the primary. This is easily setup via my
    > > video driver software, windows display settings, or third party SW like
    > > UltrMon. The problem is at logon WindowsVistaresets the display settings
    > > to make the Laptop screen the primary display, and changes the "layout" of
    > > themonitorlocations, and sometimes the refresh rate of the external
    > >monitor. This happens at any logon whether from system restart or a simple
    > > logon from locking the system.

    >
    > > I experimented with UltraMon to see if simply forcing the display settings I
    > > want via the StartUp menu would work. It appears the changeVistacauses
    > > happens after the services and StartUp programs load. This seems consistent
    > > with the fact that a simple unlock logon causes the same problem.

    >
    > > Note: the reset occurs at the end of the logon sequence. The logon screen
    > > itself is always positioned correctly, and the desktop is redrawn properly on
    > > both monitors until the end of the sequence when the display is changed.

    >
    > > System Info: Dell XPS M1212 Laptop, NVidia Ge Force Go 7400 Adapter, Dell
    > > 2007WFP externalMonitor, WindowsVistaHome Premium Upgrade, all latest
    > > drivers from Dell and MS, clean system (only OEM as delivered software with a
    > > by the book upgrade toVista), software passedvistacompatibility checks.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Found a different solution that I wanted to pass on. For me, Nvidia
    has a control panel that allows you to change the monitor
    configuration. It appears that Windows and NVidia were fighting over
    control, and Nvidia was winning. So, I stopped changing the dual
    monitor settings in Windows -- starting changing them in Nvidia, and
    my problems went away.

    HTH!


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4


    Thomas51 Guest

    Re: Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings


    I too was having the same problem with my laptop and an external
    monitor. Whenever I logged in, my display settings would get all get
    reset.

    I tried disabling the Windows event log as suggested and that corrected
    the monitor issue, but had some other unintended consequences. By
    disabling the event log, the Windows Task Scheduler also becomes
    disabled, thus any applications dependent on the Task Scheduler won't
    run.

    After further research I found the root cause of the dual monitor
    problem. There is a task in the task scheduler called TMM (Microsoft
    Transient Multi-Monitor Manager). I disabled this task, and all seems
    to work fine now.

    Hope this helps others.

    Thomas


    --
    Thomas51
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thomas51's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24828
    View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=708148

    http://forums.techarena.in


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5


    Josh Guest

    Re: Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings

    Disabling TMM worked for me too, thanks a million!

    But when TMM was off, it wouldn't detect if I had one plugged in when I
    logged in or came out of sleep, which was helpful. So I came up with a few
    modified settings of the TMM task. Basically, it tells TMM to run at log-on
    and when coming out of sleep, but to turn off after a minute so it won't be
    active during lock or unlocks. I still have to rearange every morning though.
    Here it is.

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
    <Task version="1.2"
    xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
    <RegistrationInfo>
    <Source>MobilePC Display Handling</Source>
    <Author>Microsoft Corporation</Author>
    <Description>Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager</Description>
    <URI>Microsoft\Windows\MobilePC\TMM</URI>

    <SecurityDescriptor>DA;;FA;;;BA)(A;;FA;;;SY)(A;;FR;;;AU)</SecurityDescriptor>
    </RegistrationInfo>
    <Triggers>
    <LogonTrigger id="0023ede2-0e7c-42ce-ac3a-9872e974d53f">
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT1M</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Delay>PT2S</Delay>
    </LogonTrigger>
    <EventTrigger id="b79242a8-a65d-434d-a58a-da06a95fa5d1">
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT1M</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Subscription><QueryList><Query Id="0" Path="System"><Select
    Path="System">*[System[Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter'] and EventID=1]]</Select></Query></QueryList></Subscription>
    <Delay>PT2S</Delay>
    </EventTrigger>
    </Triggers>
    <Principals>
    <Principal id="Users">
    <GroupId>Authenticated Users</GroupId>
    <RunLevel>LeastPrivilege</RunLevel>
    </Principal>
    </Principals>
    <Settings>
    <IdleSettings>
    <Duration>PT10M</Duration>
    <WaitTimeout>PT1H</WaitTimeout>
    <StopOnIdleEnd>false</StopOnIdleEnd>
    <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>Parallel</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>false</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>true</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>false</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT1M</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>7</Priority>
    </Settings>
    <Actions Context="Users">
    <ComHandler>
    <ClassId>{35EF4182-F900-4632-B072-8639E4478A61}</ClassId>
    </ComHandler>
    </Actions>
    </Task>

    "Thomas51" wrote:

    >
    > I too was having the same problem with my laptop and an external
    > monitor. Whenever I logged in, my display settings would get all get
    > reset.
    >
    > I tried disabling the Windows event log as suggested and that corrected
    > the monitor issue, but had some other unintended consequences. By
    > disabling the event log, the Windows Task Scheduler also becomes
    > disabled, thus any applications dependent on the Task Scheduler won't
    > run.
    >
    > After further research I found the root cause of the dual monitor
    > problem. There is a task in the task scheduler called TMM (Microsoft
    > Transient Multi-Monitor Manager). I disabled this task, and all seems
    > to work fine now.
    >
    > Hope this helps others.
    >
    > Thomas
    >
    >
    > --
    > Thomas51
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Thomas51's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24828
    > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=708148
    >
    > http://forums.techarena.in
    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6


    Sparkle Guest

    RE: Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings

    The layout problem was annoying me too, my external monitor kept defualting
    to the right. I have a DELL FP1905 Monitor and noticed that the monitor
    driver was defaulting to the Generic PnP driver, then realized I never
    installed the driver for this monitor. Once I installed the Dell driver for
    the FP1905 display (including restart, and updating the monitor layout
    settings once more) it seems to work flawlessly now. Vista must save layout
    settings per driver type and only resets the settings associated with the
    generic driver.

    "sgk00" wrote:

    > I use an external monitor with my laptop for a dual monitor extended desktop.
    > I want the external monitor to be the primary. This is easily setup via my
    > video driver software, windows display settings, or third party SW like
    > UltrMon. The problem is at logon Windows Vista resets the display settings
    > to make the Laptop screen the primary display, and changes the "layout" of
    > the monitor locations, and sometimes the refresh rate of the external
    > monitor. This happens at any logon whether from system restart or a simple
    > logon from locking the system.
    >
    > I experimented with UltraMon to see if simply forcing the display settings I
    > want via the StartUp menu would work. It appears the change Vista causes
    > happens after the services and StartUp programs load. This seems consistent
    > with the fact that a simple unlock logon causes the same problem.
    >
    > Note: the reset occurs at the end of the logon sequence. The logon screen
    > itself is always positioned correctly, and the desktop is redrawn properly on
    > both monitors until the end of the sequence when the display is changed.
    >
    > System Info: Dell XPS M1212 Laptop, NVidia Ge Force Go 7400 Adapter, Dell
    > 2007WFP external Monitor, Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade, all latest
    > drivers from Dell and MS, clean system (only OEM as delivered software with a
    > by the book upgrade to Vista), software passed vista compatibility checks.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7


    Nuegen Guest

    RE: Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings

    So I have removed Windows Event Log with vlite. But I still have this problem.

    I can't remove TMM (Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager) because
    Windows Task Scheduler is disabled, thus disabling all task schedules.

    And I can't install a driver for my CT-934D monitor because they came with
    no drivers. Searching didn't help.

    So I ask, when is this going to be fixed?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8


    _Tux_ Guest

    RE: Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings

    I found this problem to be caused by a registry setting created by the nvidia
    drivers I installed.

    It created a DWORD registry value in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\TMM called
    UseIViewHelper and set it to 1. I renamed this key to "UseIViewHelper old",
    rebooted and the problem is now gone.

    When I login, the external monitor resolution stays as it should and if I
    unplug it, Vista detects this and switches the laptop monitor back to be the
    main desktop.

    great!

    "sgk00" wrote:

    > I use an external monitor with my laptop for a dual monitor extended desktop.
    > I want the external monitor to be the primary. This is easily setup via my
    > video driver software, windows display settings, or third party SW like
    > UltrMon. The problem is at logon Windows Vista resets the display settings
    > to make the Laptop screen the primary display, and changes the "layout" of
    > the monitor locations, and sometimes the refresh rate of the external
    > monitor. This happens at any logon whether from system restart or a simple
    > logon from locking the system.
    >
    > I experimented with UltraMon to see if simply forcing the display settings I
    > want via the StartUp menu would work. It appears the change Vista causes
    > happens after the services and StartUp programs load. This seems consistent
    > with the fact that a simple unlock logon causes the same problem.
    >
    > Note: the reset occurs at the end of the logon sequence. The logon screen
    > itself is always positioned correctly, and the desktop is redrawn properly on
    > both monitors until the end of the sequence when the display is changed.
    >
    > System Info: Dell XPS M1212 Laptop, NVidia Ge Force Go 7400 Adapter, Dell
    > 2007WFP external Monitor, Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade, all latest
    > drivers from Dell and MS, clean system (only OEM as delivered software with a
    > by the book upgrade to Vista), software passed vista compatibility checks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9


    -kds Guest

    RE: Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings

    Do you have any idea how to do a fix for non nvidia? I have a dell w/ intel
    integrated 965 and am getting truly annoyed...

    Thanks!

    "_Tux_" wrote:

    > I found this problem to be caused by a registry setting created by the nvidia
    > drivers I installed.
    >
    > It created a DWORD registry value in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\TMM called
    > UseIViewHelper and set it to 1. I renamed this key to "UseIViewHelper old",
    > rebooted and the problem is now gone.
    >
    > When I login, the external monitor resolution stays as it should and if I
    > unplug it, Vista detects this and switches the laptop monitor back to be the
    > main desktop.
    >
    > great!
    >
    > "sgk00" wrote:
    >

    > > I use an external monitor with my laptop for a dual monitor extended desktop.
    > > I want the external monitor to be the primary. This is easily setup via my
    > > video driver software, windows display settings, or third party SW like
    > > UltrMon. The problem is at logon Windows Vista resets the display settings
    > > to make the Laptop screen the primary display, and changes the "layout" of
    > > the monitor locations, and sometimes the refresh rate of the external
    > > monitor. This happens at any logon whether from system restart or a simple
    > > logon from locking the system.
    > >
    > > I experimented with UltraMon to see if simply forcing the display settings I
    > > want via the StartUp menu would work. It appears the change Vista causes
    > > happens after the services and StartUp programs load. This seems consistent
    > > with the fact that a simple unlock logon causes the same problem.
    > >
    > > Note: the reset occurs at the end of the logon sequence. The logon screen
    > > itself is always positioned correctly, and the desktop is redrawn properly on
    > > both monitors until the end of the sequence when the display is changed.
    > >
    > > System Info: Dell XPS M1212 Laptop, NVidia Ge Force Go 7400 Adapter, Dell
    > > 2007WFP external Monitor, Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade, all latest
    > > drivers from Dell and MS, clean system (only OEM as delivered software with a
    > > by the book upgrade to Vista), software passed vista compatibility checks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10


    MICHAEL Guest

    Re: Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings

    Have a look at this thread;
    http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=708148

    Particularly this post;
    <quote>
    I too was having the same problem with my laptop and an external monitor. Whenever I logged in,
    my display settings would get all get reset.

    I tried disabling the Windows event log as suggested and that corrected the monitor issue, but
    had some other unintended consequences. By disabling the event log, the Windows Task Scheduler
    also becomes disabled, thus any applications dependent on the Task Scheduler won't run.

    After further research I found the root cause of the dual monitor problem. There is a task in
    the task scheduler called TMM (Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager). I disabled this
    task, and all seems to work fine now.
    </quote>

    Do not disable the Event Log, but try going into Task Scheduler and
    disabling TMM (Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager).
    That seems to have worked for me, too.

    This has been just another very annoying Vista bug.


    -Michael

    * _Tux_:

    > I found this problem to be caused by a registry setting created by the nvidia
    > drivers I installed.
    >
    > It created a DWORD registry value in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\TMM called
    > UseIViewHelper and set it to 1. I renamed this key to "UseIViewHelper old",
    > rebooted and the problem is now gone.
    >
    > When I login, the external monitor resolution stays as it should and if I
    > unplug it, Vista detects this and switches the laptop monitor back to be the
    > main desktop.
    >
    > great!
    >
    > "sgk00" wrote:
    >

    >> I use an external monitor with my laptop for a dual monitor extended desktop.
    >> I want the external monitor to be the primary. This is easily setup via my
    >> video driver software, windows display settings, or third party SW like
    >> UltrMon. The problem is at logon Windows Vista resets the display settings
    >> to make the Laptop screen the primary display, and changes the "layout" of
    >> the monitor locations, and sometimes the refresh rate of the external
    >> monitor. This happens at any logon whether from system restart or a simple
    >> logon from locking the system.
    >>
    >> I experimented with UltraMon to see if simply forcing the display settings I
    >> want via the StartUp menu would work. It appears the change Vista causes
    >> happens after the services and StartUp programs load. This seems consistent
    >> with the fact that a simple unlock logon causes the same problem.
    >>
    >> Note: the reset occurs at the end of the logon sequence. The logon screen
    >> itself is always positioned correctly, and the desktop is redrawn properly on
    >> both monitors until the end of the sequence when the display is changed.
    >>
    >> System Info: Dell XPS M1212 Laptop, NVidia Ge Force Go 7400 Adapter, Dell
    >> 2007WFP external Monitor, Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade, all latest
    >> drivers from Dell and MS, clean system (only OEM as delivered software with a
    >> by the book upgrade to Vista), software passed vista compatibility checks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vista logon changes Dual monitor display settings
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Vista keeps losing my dual monitor settings Graphic cards
Dual monitor display settings revert on startup Vista General
which monitor to use under display settings? Vista General
Monitor Not In Selection List in Display Settings in Vista Ultimate Vista hardware & devices
Display Settings Window appears everytime I logon Vista installation & setup