Windows Vista Forums

How can i back up the whole operating system?

  1. #1


    OBAFGKM_RNS@yahoo.com Guest

    How can i back up the whole operating system?

    Sorry if this is a dumb question but... what if say, my computer
    crashes or the hard drive goes bad? How do i reinstall all of my
    software that came with my computer, including Windows Vista itself?
    I'm using Vista Home Premium Edition.

    The reason i ask is because the backup utility states repeatedly that
    it will not back up system files or program files etc (only files such
    as photos and music and documents etc. No disks of any kind came with
    the computer. How is it possible to reinstall the software that came
    with my computer if I cant back it up???


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2


    Julian Guest

    Re: How can i back up the whole operating system?



    <OBAFGKM_RNS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:1184034541.847680.17630@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    > Sorry if this is a dumb question but... what if say, my computer
    > crashes or the hard drive goes bad? How do i reinstall all of my
    > software that came with my computer, including Windows Vista itself?
    > I'm using Vista Home Premium Edition.
    >
    > The reason i ask is because the backup utility states repeatedly that
    > it will not back up system files or program files etc (only files such
    > as photos and music and documents etc. No disks of any kind came with
    > the computer. How is it possible to reinstall the software that came
    > with my computer if I cant back it up???
    >


    http://www.backup-software-reviews.com/backup-faq.htm


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    Dave Guest

    Re: How can i back up the whole operating system?

    You need software to make an image (snapshot) of the entire partition, like

    http://www.acronis.com/promo/ATI/true-image-017.html?source=google&ad=disk+imaging&s_scid=disk%20image%20software|726748997&gclid=CIWyluL5m40CFSUagQodSFvO1w

    http://terabyteunlimited.com/imagew....eAdWordsSearch




    <OBAFGKM_RNS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:1184034541.847680.17630@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    > Sorry if this is a dumb question but... what if say, my computer
    > crashes or the hard drive goes bad? How do i reinstall all of my
    > software that came with my computer, including Windows Vista itself?
    > I'm using Vista Home Premium Edition.
    >
    > The reason i ask is because the backup utility states repeatedly that
    > it will not back up system files or program files etc (only files such
    > as photos and music and documents etc. No disks of any kind came with
    > the computer. How is it possible to reinstall the software that came
    > with my computer if I cant back it up???
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4


    peter Guest

    Re: How can i back up the whole operating system?

    With your computer came a manual that specifically states how to backup the
    system.All manufacturers provide some means of backup.Most of them not
    adequate.
    I found that Using Acronis True Image and an External HD works extremely
    well.I image the HD inside the computer to the External HD every week.
    Do a Google for the program and read what it can do.
    peter
    <OBAFGKM_RNS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:1184034541.847680.17630@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    > Sorry if this is a dumb question but... what if say, my computer
    > crashes or the hard drive goes bad? How do i reinstall all of my
    > software that came with my computer, including Windows Vista itself?
    > I'm using Vista Home Premium Edition.
    >
    > The reason i ask is because the backup utility states repeatedly that
    > it will not back up system files or program files etc (only files such
    > as photos and music and documents etc. No disks of any kind came with
    > the computer. How is it possible to reinstall the software that came
    > with my computer if I cant back it up???
    >
    >




      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5


    Jimmy Brush Guest

    Re: How can i back up the whole operating system?

    OBAFGKM_RNS@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Sorry if this is a dumb question but... what if say, my computer
    > crashes or the hard drive goes bad? How do i reinstall all of my
    > software that came with my computer, including Windows Vista itself?
    > I'm using Vista Home Premium Edition.
    >
    > The reason i ask is because the backup utility states repeatedly that
    > it will not back up system files or program files etc (only files such
    > as photos and music and documents etc. No disks of any kind came with
    > the computer. How is it possible to reinstall the software that came
    > with my computer if I cant back it up???
    >


    Hello,

    You can use Windows Complete PC Backup.

    - Click start
    - Type: backup
    - click backup and restore center when it appears
    - click "back up computer"
    - follow the instructions

    --
    -JB
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6
    The Sand's Avatar

    Member
    Join Date : Jul 2007
    Dana Point, California
    Posts : 60
    Vista
    Local Time: 09:13 AM


     

    Re: How can i back up the whole operating system?

    What you are talking about actually happened to me and I had "my files" (music, pictures, etc.) all backed up but I didn't have the operating system backed up. Since it was the operating system that got all currupted Microsoft told me to contact the manufacturer of my computer and request a copy of the operating system from them - so if I ever have a problem again in the future I can use the disc. I've e-mailed the manufacturer and am currently waiting to hear from them...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7


    Adam Albright Guest

    Re: How can i back up the whole operating system?

    On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 22:02:49 -0500, The Sand
    <The.Sand.2thjfs@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

    >
    >What you are talking about actually happened to me and I had "my files"
    >(music, pictures, etc.) all backed up but I didn't have the operating
    >system backed up. Since it was the operating system that got all
    >currupted Microsoft told me to contact the manufacturer of my computer
    >and request a copy of the operating system from them - so if I ever have
    >a problem again in the future I can use the disc. I've e-mailed the
    >manufacturer and am currently waiting to hear from them...


    While you should have a DVD of the OS that isn't the same thing as
    making a image file. If you have nothing but a copy of the Vista DVD
    and your system crashes, then you'll be forced to go back to square
    one which means you'll need to reinstall Windows and all your
    applications. If you make a regular image of your root partition if
    something goes wrong that will restore your system to the state it was
    in as of when you made the image file. Which would you rather do?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8
    The Sand's Avatar

    Member
    Join Date : Jul 2007
    Dana Point, California
    Posts : 60
    Vista
    Local Time: 09:13 AM


     

    Re: How can i back up the whole operating system?

    Well I'd rather do the "right thing" but I'm not sure what that is. You say, "If you make a regular image of your root partition if something goes wrong that will restore your system to the state it was in as of when you made the image file." Okay... If you do that then you wouldn't need the operating sytem cd would you??? Don't get all mean I'm just trying to understand. Since a crash did recenlty happen to me I'm also trying to figure out back up myself.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9


    OBAFGKM_RNS@yahoo.com Guest

    Re: How can i back up the whole operating system?

    Thank you all for the help. I will look into some 3rd party backup
    programs. Jimmy Brush mentioned using Windows Complete PC Backup, but
    I read that it was only available on "Professional" versions of Vista,
    and not the "Home editions". I looked for it, but could only find
    options to use a basic backup of documents, and not the operating
    system and software. The HP computer that I bought came with 0 disks,
    and Best Buy told me that their "Geek Squad" creates backup disks for
    Vista... for a fee. Amazing that they couldn't make my life easier,
    and just throw in the disks, for a computer that cost me over $1,000.

    On Jul 9, 10:40 pm, Jimmy Brush <j...@mvps.org> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > You can use Windows Complete PC Backup.
    >
    > - Click start
    > - Type: backup
    > - click backup and restore center when it appears
    > - click "back up computer"
    > - follow the instructions
    >
    > --
    > -JB
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Windows Vista Support FAQ -http://www.jimmah.com/vista/




      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10


    Jimmy Brush Guest

    Re: How can i back up the whole operating system?

    OBAFGKM_RNS@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Thank you all for the help. I will look into some 3rd party backup
    > programs. Jimmy Brush mentioned using Windows Complete PC Backup, but
    > I read that it was only available on "Professional" versions of Vista,
    > and not the "Home editions". I looked for it, but could only find
    > options to use a basic backup of documents, and not the operating
    > system and software. The HP computer that I bought came with 0 disks,
    > and Best Buy told me that their "Geek Squad" creates backup disks for
    > Vista... for a fee. Amazing that they couldn't make my life easier,
    > and just throw in the disks, for a computer that cost me over $1,000.
    >
    > On Jul 9, 10:40 pm, Jimmy Brush <j...@mvps.org> wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> You can use Windows Complete PC Backup.
    >>
    >> - Click start
    >> - Type: backup
    >> - click backup and restore center when it appears
    >> - click "back up computer"
    >> - follow the instructions
    >>
    >> --
    >> -JB
    >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Windows Vista Support FAQ -http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

    >
    >


    Sorry, I didn't realize that it wasn't included in the home editions.

    Are you sure there is not a repair partition on your computer? Some
    computers allow you to press a certain key sequence while they start
    that will allow you to "reset" your computer to the way it was when you
    first got it. If so, then you would just need to backup your documents
    and settings.

    I would be really be shocked if a new computer purchase didn't come with
    a restore disk or anything.

    --
    -JB
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How can i back up the whole operating system?
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Keep One Operating System General Discussion
No operating system on system recovery vista Vista General
Operating System Virtual PC
When the operating system Vista General
operating system Vista installation & setup