It sounds as if the Themes service is not started. To verify this and enable
the Themes service if required:
1. Hold down the Windows Flag key on your keyboard and tap the "R" key, this
will display the Run dialog.
2. Type "services.msc" into the Run dialog and click on OK or press Enter.
3. If User Account Control prompts you for consent, click on Continue or
provide the appropriate credentials.
4. In the services list, scroll down until you see Themes.
5. Double click on the Themes service. Ensure that the startup type is
"Automatic"; if it is not, change it to "Automatic". Then click on the
"Start" button in the "Themes Properties (Local Computer)" dialog.
6. Click on OK.
Now navigate back to Appearance and Personalization and try to re-enable the
Windows Aero theme.
Hope this helps, let me know.
Kristan M. Kenney
Microsoft MVP [Windows - Shell/User]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> I just installed Vista and had the taskbar and sidebar look just fine. After
> about 6 hours the taskbar changed to something like the windows 98 toolbar,
> and the sidebar dissapeared. I went to apperience and personalization and
> looked for the vista theme and it wasn't there, the only thing there was My
> Current Theme and Windows Classic. If anyone could help me get this back, it
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you, Joe