Windows Vista Forums

Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?

  1. #1


    Larry Guest

    Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?

    Per the Epson website, the drivers for many Epson printers including my R200
    are 'in the box' and Epson does not offer a separate Vista driver.

    My R220 does operate correctly with the Vista driver, but when it is
    accessed through printer properties it does not offer the ink monitor that
    the XP driver did. I do get something in the notification area saying that
    the ink is low when I print however. Is there a way to access an ink monitor
    in Vista without having to print?

    In addition, I really miss the ability to save printer settings for
    different types of print jobs as I could with the old XP driver. Any
    solutions?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Lancorp Guest

    RE: Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?

    You can find a VISTA driver for the R-series at Epson's Austrailia web site,
    version 6.50. The ink monitor works fine with it and Vista!!! Paper sizes
    default to metric, but are also shown in "US" sizes.

    "Larry" wrote:

    > Per the Epson website, the drivers for many Epson printers including my R200
    > are 'in the box' and Epson does not offer a separate Vista driver.
    >
    > My R220 does operate correctly with the Vista driver, but when it is
    > accessed through printer properties it does not offer the ink monitor that
    > the XP driver did. I do get something in the notification area saying that
    > the ink is low when I print however. Is there a way to access an ink monitor
    > in Vista without having to print?
    >
    > In addition, I really miss the ability to save printer settings for
    > different types of print jobs as I could with the old XP driver. Any
    > solutions?
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Larry Guest

    RE: Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?



    "Lancorp" wrote:

    > You can find a VISTA driver for the R-series at Epson's Austrailia web site,
    > version 6.50.
    >

    Thanks so much for the suggestion. I've checked the Au site and do not find
    a Vista driver for the R200 (sold here) or R210 (which I think is essentially
    the same printer??). Instead there is a note indicating that the drivers are
    included in Visat. There is a Vista driver on the Au site for the next model
    up however.

    From checking the Epson NA site, the file downloads are different for the
    different models; do I understand correctly that you have used an R series
    Vista driver for another model sucessfully on an R200 - R210? Not sure I want
    to try unless I know it would work!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Lancorp Guest

    RE: Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?

    I have the R1800...I assumed the R-series were all the same. I just checked
    the .inf file for the R1800 driver, and it is only for the R1800. I think I
    misled you--sorry! I guess you'll just have to buy an R1800!

    "Larry" wrote:

    >
    >
    > "Lancorp" wrote:
    >
    > > You can find a VISTA driver for the R-series at Epson's Austrailia web site,
    > > version 6.50.
    > >

    > Thanks so much for the suggestion. I've checked the Au site and do not find
    > a Vista driver for the R200 (sold here) or R210 (which I think is essentially
    > the same printer??). Instead there is a note indicating that the drivers are
    > included in Visat. There is a Vista driver on the Au site for the next model
    > up however.
    >
    > From checking the Epson NA site, the file downloads are different for the
    > different models; do I understand correctly that you have used an R series
    > Vista driver for another model sucessfully on an R200 - R210? Not sure I want
    > to try unless I know it would work!


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    StarWalker13 Guest

    RE: Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?

    Did you check the printing preference? Thats where the ink level indicator
    for the C88 is

    "Lancorp" wrote:

    > I have the R1800...I assumed the R-series were all the same. I just checked
    > the .inf file for the R1800 driver, and it is only for the R1800. I think I
    > misled you--sorry! I guess you'll just have to buy an R1800!
    >
    > "Larry" wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > "Lancorp" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You can find a VISTA driver for the R-series at Epson's Austrailia web site,
    > > > version 6.50.
    > > >

    > > Thanks so much for the suggestion. I've checked the Au site and do not find
    > > a Vista driver for the R200 (sold here) or R210 (which I think is essentially
    > > the same printer??). Instead there is a note indicating that the drivers are
    > > included in Visat. There is a Vista driver on the Au site for the next model
    > > up however.
    > >
    > > From checking the Epson NA site, the file downloads are different for the
    > > different models; do I understand correctly that you have used an R series
    > > Vista driver for another model sucessfully on an R200 - R210? Not sure I want
    > > to try unless I know it would work!


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Larry Guest

    RE: Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?



    "StarWalker13" wrote:

    > Did you check the printing preference? Thats where the ink level indicator
    > for the C88 is
    >


    Thanks for the tip; problem solved. At least one of them anyway. I always
    use the advanced view of the printing preferences, and had not really
    explored the basic option. Sure enough, in the basic view I find the ink
    monitor, which even works correctly! Next problem is to find a way to save my
    dozen or so special settings for different media.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Donald McDaniel Guest

    Re: Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?

    "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:C89E380A-DECE-45BA-B663-FD86C485884C@microsoft.com...
    >
    >
    > "StarWalker13" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you check the printing preference? Thats where the ink level indicator
    >> for the C88 is
    >>

    >
    > Thanks for the tip; problem solved. At least one of them anyway. I always
    > use the advanced view of the printing preferences, and had not really
    > explored the basic option. Sure enough, in the basic view I find the ink
    > monitor, which even works correctly! Next problem is to find a way to save
    > my
    > dozen or so special settings for different media.



    The driver for the Epson Stylus Photo R200, while it did install (eventually)
    evidently is not FULLY-compatible with Vista. All works EXCEPT the Ink status
    part.

    At least I was able to use my last-gen printer.

    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
    ------------------------------------------------------




      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Bill Guest

    RE: Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?

    Really? This works?? I have an Epson R220 and, like you, can't get the
    Status Monitor to work. I didn't know that there is a "basic view" for
    printer preferences.

    I called Epson Support and was told that the Vista-supplied R220 driver
    doesn't include the Status Monitor. They are "working on" a new driver that
    will (yeah, right).

    I, too, saw some traffic about an updated driver but it's for the R260. I
    also saw some postings of the "new" Status Monitor SW, downloaded it, but it
    requires an R1800 to install.

    So, if all I have to do is change to "basic view", then that's great!! How
    do you do that?

    "Larry" wrote:

    >
    >
    > "StarWalker13" wrote:
    >
    > > Did you check the printing preference? Thats where the ink level indicator
    > > for the C88 is
    > >

    >
    > Thanks for the tip; problem solved. At least one of them anyway. I always
    > use the advanced view of the printing preferences, and had not really
    > explored the basic option. Sure enough, in the basic view I find the ink
    > monitor, which even works correctly! Next problem is to find a way to save my
    > dozen or so special settings for different media.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Michael Guest

    Re: Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?

    I also have an Epson R220, have been checking the Epson site for Vista
    drivers for it but so far they haven't shown up. Where did you get Vista
    drivers for your R220?

    Thanks,
    Michael

    "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:8ABB2223-D548-47AF-A1DD-76C964A03AAA@microsoft.com...
    > Really? This works?? I have an Epson R220 and, like you, can't get the
    > Status Monitor to work. I didn't know that there is a "basic view" for
    > printer preferences.
    >
    > I called Epson Support and was told that the Vista-supplied R220 driver
    > doesn't include the Status Monitor. They are "working on" a new driver
    > that
    > will (yeah, right).
    >
    > I, too, saw some traffic about an updated driver but it's for the R260. I
    > also saw some postings of the "new" Status Monitor SW, downloaded it, but
    > it
    > requires an R1800 to install.
    >
    > So, if all I have to do is change to "basic view", then that's great!!
    > How
    > do you do that?
    >
    > "Larry" wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> "StarWalker13" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Did you check the printing preference? Thats where the ink level
    >> > indicator
    >> > for the C88 is
    >> >

    >>
    >> Thanks for the tip; problem solved. At least one of them anyway. I always
    >> use the advanced view of the printing preferences, and had not really
    >> explored the basic option. Sure enough, in the basic view I find the ink
    >> monitor, which even works correctly! Next problem is to find a way to
    >> save my
    >> dozen or so special settings for different media.



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Bill Guest

    Re: Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?

    I actually tried two things and don't know which actually worked. I tried
    installing the XP drivers (from the Epson site first), and that failed during
    install. I then used Add a Printer to add the R220 as a local printer, using
    the Virtual USB Printer port. After a reboot, the Unknown Device was gone,
    the R220 was listed in the Printers page, and I could print to it.

    Good news is that the printer does work, even prints CDs and DVDs. Bad news
    is that the ink monitor does NOT work. If you look at the Printer
    Preferences, Tools tab, the Status Monitor is greyed out. There is
    apparently no way to actually check the ink levels until the ink light
    flashes on the printer. Then, you can only find out which cartridge needs to
    be replaced.

    "Michael" wrote:

    > I also have an Epson R220, have been checking the Epson site for Vista
    > drivers for it but so far they haven't shown up. Where did you get Vista
    > drivers for your R220?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Michael
    >
    > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:8ABB2223-D548-47AF-A1DD-76C964A03AAA@microsoft.com...
    > > Really? This works?? I have an Epson R220 and, like you, can't get the
    > > Status Monitor to work. I didn't know that there is a "basic view" for
    > > printer preferences.
    > >
    > > I called Epson Support and was told that the Vista-supplied R220 driver
    > > doesn't include the Status Monitor. They are "working on" a new driver
    > > that
    > > will (yeah, right).
    > >
    > > I, too, saw some traffic about an updated driver but it's for the R260. I
    > > also saw some postings of the "new" Status Monitor SW, downloaded it, but
    > > it
    > > requires an R1800 to install.
    > >
    > > So, if all I have to do is change to "basic view", then that's great!!
    > > How
    > > do you do that?
    > >
    > > "Larry" wrote:
    > >
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> "StarWalker13" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> > Did you check the printing preference? Thats where the ink level
    > >> > indicator
    > >> > for the C88 is
    > >> >
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for the tip; problem solved. At least one of them anyway. I always
    > >> use the advanced view of the printing preferences, and had not really
    > >> explored the basic option. Sure enough, in the basic view I find the ink
    > >> monitor, which even works correctly! Next problem is to find a way to
    > >> save my
    > >> dozen or so special settings for different media.

    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Epson Ink Monitor in Vista?
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Ink Levels Indicator and Epson Status Monitor Disabled General Discussion
Epson status monitor Vista print fax & scan
Epson Ink Monitor Vista General
Epson status monitor problems Vista General
Epson status monitor Vista print fax & scan