Windows Vista Forums

Vista SP1 Will Not Install

  1. #1


    Mr Taf Guest

    Vista SP1 Will Not Install

    I've tried numerous times to Install Vista Sp1, but without success. The
    install appers to go well, reaching 100% at stage 3, but then the screen
    reports the SP did not successfully install, and proceeds to roll back. On
    Checking the message in Windows Update, the install failed with error
    80004005.

    I've raised the issue directly with MS, but the advice to install the SP in
    Safe mode has not helped. I've also trawled various forums and cannot find
    any reference to the specific error code.

    I own a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ1. A number of forums seem to suggest it might be a
    hardware issue, and I have tried disabling / uninstalling various devices to
    see if this helps, but this also has not got me any further.

    Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this error code
    means? Is there a way to force the SP to install despite this error code (it
    does get to 100% at stage 3 after all, so maybe it does install, but one of
    the packages check routines is picking up an error which doesn't really
    exist???)

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Carey Frisch [MVP] Guest

    Re: Vista SP1 Will Not Install

    You might try installing the standalone version of SP1.

    Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx

    Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone (KB936330)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

    Free SP1 technical support from Microsoft:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...4&gprid=500921


    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience -
    Windows System & Performance

    ---------------------------------------------------------------

    "Mr Taf" wrote:

    I've tried numerous times to Install Vista Sp1, but without success. The
    install appers to go well, reaching 100% at stage 3, but then the screen
    reports the SP did not successfully install, and proceeds to roll back. On
    Checking the message in Windows Update, the install failed with error
    80004005.

    I've raised the issue directly with MS, but the advice to install the SP in
    Safe mode has not helped. I've also trawled various forums and cannot find
    any reference to the specific error code.

    I own a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ1. A number of forums seem to suggest it might be a
    hardware issue, and I have tried disabling / uninstalling various devices to
    see if this helps, but this also has not got me any further.

    Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this error code
    means? Is there a way to force the SP to install despite this error code (it
    does get to 100% at stage 3 after all, so maybe it does install, but one of
    the packages check routines is picking up an error which doesn't really
    exist???)

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Darrell Gorter[MSFT] Guest

    RE: Vista SP1 Will Not Install

    Hello,

    Open in notepad, the cbs.log file, search for the error code: 80004005
    post 10 lines prior and 10 lines after the error code.

    CBS.log is located at c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    --------------------
    | >Thread-Topic: Vista SP1 Will Not Install
    | >thread-index: AcinD4J38DanatyjTCijiiXIT77aUg==
    | >X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 207.46.19.168
    | >From: =?Utf-8?B?TXIgVGFm?= <Mr Taf@xxxxxx>
    | >Subject: Vista SP1 Will Not Install
    | >Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:04:03 -0700
    | >Lines: 19
    | >Message-ID: <39856363-1020-41A6-8BA6-EEDDD8878909@xxxxxx>
    | >MIME-Version: 1.0
    | >Content-Type: text/plain;
    | > charset="Utf-8"
    | >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    | >X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
    | >Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
    | >Importance: normal
    | >Priority: normal
    | >X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.2992
    | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
    | >Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
    | >Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup:39013
    | >NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftsbfm01.phx.gbl 10.40.244.148
    | >X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
    | >
    | >I've tried numerous times to Install Vista Sp1, but without success.
    The
    | >install appers to go well, reaching 100% at stage 3, but then the screen
    | >reports the SP did not successfully install, and proceeds to roll back.
    On
    | >Checking the message in Windows Update, the install failed with error
    | >80004005.
    | >
    | >I've raised the issue directly with MS, but the advice to install the SP
    in
    | >Safe mode has not helped. I've also trawled various forums and cannot
    find
    | >any reference to the specific error code.
    | >
    | >I own a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ1. A number of forums seem to suggest it might
    be a
    | >hardware issue, and I have tried disabling / uninstalling various
    devices to
    | >see if this helps, but this also has not got me any further.
    | >
    | >Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this error code
    | >means? Is there a way to force the SP to install despite this error
    code (it
    | >does get to 100% at stage 3 after all, so maybe it does install, but one
    of
    | >the packages check routines is picking up an error which doesn't really
    | >exist???)
    | >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    philo Guest

    Re: Vista SP1 Will Not Install


    "Mr Taf" <Mr Taf@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:39856363-1020-41A6-8BA6-EEDDD8878909@xxxxxx

    > I've tried numerous times to Install Vista Sp1, but without success. The
    > install appers to go well, reaching 100% at stage 3, but then the screen
    > reports the SP did not successfully install, and proceeds to roll back.
    > On
    > Checking the message in Windows Update, the install failed with error
    > 80004005.
    >
    > I've raised the issue directly with MS, but the advice to install the SP
    > in
    > Safe mode has not helped. I've also trawled various forums and cannot
    > find
    > any reference to the specific error code.
    >
    > I own a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ1. A number of forums seem to suggest it might be
    > a
    > hardware issue, and I have tried disabling / uninstalling various devices
    > to
    > see if this helps, but this also has not got me any further.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this error code
    > means? Is there a way to force the SP to install despite this error code
    > (it
    > does get to 100% at stage 3 after all, so maybe it does install, but one
    > of
    > the packages check routines is picking up an error which doesn't really
    > exist???)

    I had the same problem
    and after a lot of trial and error, got SP1 to install by opting to install
    in the quiet mode /q

    Does not make sense but for me , it worked



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Mr Taf Guest

    RE: Vista SP1 Will Not Install

    Hi Darrell

    This is the extract from CBS.LOG from my latest attempt. the errors near
    the end of the extract go on for a lot longer...

    2008-04-25 20:15:26, Info CSI 000000a1 Begin executing
    advanced installer phase 22 (0x00000016) index 669 (0x0000029d) (sequence 692)
    Old component: Microsoft-Windows-NetworkTopology-Inf, Version =
    6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral,
    VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type
    neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral
    New component: Microsoft-Windows-NetworkTopology-Inf, Version =
    6.0.6001.18000, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral,
    VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type
    neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral
    Install mode: uninstall
    Installer ID: {c145fd5d-1b9b-4738-9961-64034a3da28f}
    Installer name: [27]"Generic Command (uninstall)"
    2008-04-25 20:15:26, Info CSI 000000a2 Performing 1
    operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
    LockComponentPath (10): flags: 0 comp: {l:16
    b:328405b808a7c801e8000000e8044405} pathid: {l:16
    b:328405b808a7c801e9000000e8044405} path:
    [l:228{114}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-networktopology-inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_3821e712a6535c57"
    pid: 4e8 starttime: 128536244827437272 (0x01c8a7089db3b8d8)
    2008-04-25 20:15:26, Info CSI 000000a3 Performing 1
    operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
    LockComponentPath (10): flags: 0 comp: {l:16
    b:f2460ab808a7c801ea000000e8044405} pathid: {l:16
    b:f2460ab808a7c801eb000000e8044405} path:
    [l:228{114}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-networktopology-inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_3a58a90ea33e6d2b"
    pid: 4e8 starttime: 128536244827437272 (0x01c8a7089db3b8d8)
    2008-04-25 20:15:26, Info CSI
    000000a4@xxxxxx/4/25:19:15:26.931 CSI Advanced installer perf trace:
    CSIPERF:AIDONE;{c145fd5d-1b9b-4738-9961-64034a3da28f};Microsoft-Windows-NetworkTopology-Inf,
    Version = 6.0.6001.18000, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture
    neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35},
    Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral;65341
    2008-04-25 20:15:26, Info CSI 000000a5 End executing
    advanced installer (sequence 692)
    Completion status: S_OK

    2008-04-25 20:15:26, Info CSI 000000a6 Begin executing
    advanced installer phase 22 (0x00000016) index 670 (0x0000029e) (sequence 693)
    Old component: Networking-MPSSVC-Rules-FPS, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA
    = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS,
    PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral,
    PublicKey neutral
    New component: Networking-MPSSVC-Rules-FPS, Version = 6.0.6001.18000, pA
    = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS,
    PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral,
    PublicKey neutral
    Install mode: uninstall
    Installer ID: {68ce8d69-26ae-4f9f-bea7-50613e7ab5c1}
    Installer name: [13]"Firewall Rule"
    2008-04-25 20:15:26, Info CSI 000000a7 Performing 1
    operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
    LockComponentPath (10): flags: 0 comp: {l:16
    b:72cc13b808a7c801ec000000e8044405} pathid: {l:16
    b:72cc13b808a7c801ed000000e8044405} path:
    [l:208{104}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_networking-mpssvc-rules-fps_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_618150ff6009cf62"
    pid: 4e8 starttime: 128536244827437272 (0x01c8a7089db3b8d8)
    2008-04-25 20:15:27, Info CSI 000000a8 Performing 1
    operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
    LockComponentPath (10): flags: 0 comp: {l:16
    b:d22d16b808a7c801ee000000e8044405} pathid: {l:16
    b:d22d16b808a7c801ef000000e8044405} path:
    [l:208{104}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_networking-mpssvc-rules-fps_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_63b812fb5cf4e036"
    pid: 4e8 starttime: 128536244827437272 (0x01c8a7089db3b8d8)
    2008-04-25 20:15:27, Info CSI 000000a9 Performing 1
    operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
    LockComponentPath (10): flags: 0 comp: {l:16
    b:328f18b808a7c801f0000000e8044405} pathid: {l:16
    b:328f18b808a7c801f1000000e8044405} path:
    [l:234{117}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-f..allconfig-installer_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_17292e3efec80e43"
    pid: 4e8 starttime: 128536244827437272 (0x01c8a7089db3b8d8)
    2008-04-25 20:15:27, Error CSI 00000022 (F) Logged
    @2008/4/25:19:15:27.290 :
    [ml:148{74},l:146{73}]"FirewallConfigInstaller:AddRemoveFirewallConfig()
    installation type is 4."
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-04-25 20:15:27, Error CSI 00000023 (F) Logged
    @2008/4/25:19:15:27.290 :
    [ml:132{66},l:130{65}]"FirewallConfigInstaller:AddRemoveFirewallConfig()
    SERVICING is 1."
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-04-25 20:15:27, Error CSI 00000024 (F) Logged
    @2008/4/25:19:15:27.290 :
    [ml:710{355},l:708{354}]"FirewallConfigInstaller:AddRemoveFirewallConfig()
    installing <firewallRule xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"
    Action="Allow" Active="FALSE" Binary="System" Desc="@FirewallAPI.dll,-28506"
    Dir="In" LPort="139" Name="@FirewallAPI.dll,-28503" Profile="Domain"
    Protocol="6" group="@FirewallAPI.dll,-28502"
    internalName="FPS-NB_Session-In-TCP-NoScope" />"
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-04-25 20:15:27, Error CSI 00000025 (F) Logged
    @2008/4/25:19:15:27.290 :
    [ml:146{73},l:144{72}]"FirewallConfigInstaller:AddRemoveFirewallConfig()
    Uninstalling a rule..."
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-04-25 20:15:27, Error CSI 00000026 (F) Logged
    @2008/4/25:19:15:27.290 :
    [ml:238{119},l:236{118}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule
    (FPS-NB_Session-In-TCP-NoScope / @FirewallAPI.dll,-28503, 1) from DEFAULTS"
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-04-25 20:15:27, Error CSI 00000027 (F) Logged
    @2008/4/25:19:15:27.306 :
    [ml:258{129},l:256{128}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::MatchRules() did not
    matched rules @FirewallAPI.dll,-28546 and @FirewallAPI.dll,-28503 because of
    name."
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-04-25 20:15:27, Error CSI 00000028 (F) Logged
    @2008/4/25:19:15:27.306 :
    [ml:258{129},l:256{128}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::MatchRules() did not
    matched rules @FirewallAPI.dll,-28545 and @FirewallAPI.dll,-28503 because of
    name."
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-04-25 20:15:27, Error CSI 00000029 (F) Logged
    @2008/4/25:19:15:27.306 :
    [ml:258{129},l:256{128}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::MatchRules() did not
    matched rules @FirewallAPI.dll,-28544 and @FirewallAPI.dll,-28503 because of
    name."
    [gle=0x80004005]


    ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Open in notepad, the cbs.log file, search for the error code: 80004005
    > post 10 lines prior and 10 lines after the error code.
    >
    > CBS.log is located at c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    >
    > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    > --------------------
    > | >Thread-Topic: Vista SP1 Will Not Install
    > | >thread-index: AcinD4J38DanatyjTCijiiXIT77aUg==
    > | >X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 207.46.19.168
    > | >From: =?Utf-8?B?TXIgVGFm?= <Mr Taf@xxxxxx>
    > | >Subject: Vista SP1 Will Not Install
    > | >Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:04:03 -0700
    > | >Lines: 19
    > | >Message-ID: <39856363-1020-41A6-8BA6-EEDDD8878909@xxxxxx>
    > | >MIME-Version: 1.0
    > | >Content-Type: text/plain;
    > | > charset="Utf-8"
    > | >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    > | >X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
    > | >Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
    > | >Importance: normal
    > | >Priority: normal
    > | >X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.2992
    > | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
    > | >Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
    > | >Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup:39013
    > | >NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftsbfm01.phx.gbl 10.40.244.148
    > | >X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
    > | >
    > | >I've tried numerous times to Install Vista Sp1, but without success.
    > The
    > | >install appers to go well, reaching 100% at stage 3, but then the screen
    > | >reports the SP did not successfully install, and proceeds to roll back.
    > On
    > | >Checking the message in Windows Update, the install failed with error
    > | >80004005.
    > | >
    > | >I've raised the issue directly with MS, but the advice to install the SP
    > in
    > | >Safe mode has not helped. I've also trawled various forums and cannot
    > find
    > | >any reference to the specific error code.
    > | >
    > | >I own a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ1. A number of forums seem to suggest it might
    > be a
    > | >hardware issue, and I have tried disabling / uninstalling various
    > devices to
    > | >see if this helps, but this also has not got me any further.
    > | >
    > | >Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this error code
    > | >means? Is there a way to force the SP to install despite this error
    > code (it
    > | >does get to 100% at stage 3 after all, so maybe it does install, but one
    > of
    > | >the packages check routines is picking up an error which doesn't really
    > | >exist???)
    > | >
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Mr Taf Guest

    Re: Vista SP1 Will Not Install

    Thanks for response Carey. I've tried the standalone version as well as the
    one via automatic update and get the same error in both cases..

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > You might try installing the standalone version of SP1.
    >
    > Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
    >
    > Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone (KB936330)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    >
    > Free SP1 technical support from Microsoft:
    > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...4&gprid=500921
    >
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Desktop Experience -
    > Windows System & Performance
    >
    > ---------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "Mr Taf" wrote:
    >
    > I've tried numerous times to Install Vista Sp1, but without success. The
    > install appers to go well, reaching 100% at stage 3, but then the screen
    > reports the SP did not successfully install, and proceeds to roll back. On
    > Checking the message in Windows Update, the install failed with error
    > 80004005.
    >
    > I've raised the issue directly with MS, but the advice to install the SP in
    > Safe mode has not helped. I've also trawled various forums and cannot find
    > any reference to the specific error code.
    >
    > I own a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ1. A number of forums seem to suggest it might be a
    > hardware issue, and I have tried disabling / uninstalling various devices to
    > see if this helps, but this also has not got me any further.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this error code
    > means? Is there a way to force the SP to install despite this error code (it
    > does get to 100% at stage 3 after all, so maybe it does install, but one of
    > the packages check routines is picking up an error which doesn't really
    > exist???)
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Mr Taf Guest

    Re: Vista SP1 Will Not Install

    Philo - Does sound stange, but i'll give it a go. You never know...

    "philo" wrote:

    >
    > "Mr Taf" <Mr Taf@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    > news:39856363-1020-41A6-8BA6-EEDDD8878909@xxxxxx

    > > I've tried numerous times to Install Vista Sp1, but without success. The
    > > install appers to go well, reaching 100% at stage 3, but then the screen
    > > reports the SP did not successfully install, and proceeds to roll back.
    > > On
    > > Checking the message in Windows Update, the install failed with error
    > > 80004005.
    > >
    > > I've raised the issue directly with MS, but the advice to install the SP
    > > in
    > > Safe mode has not helped. I've also trawled various forums and cannot
    > > find
    > > any reference to the specific error code.
    > >
    > > I own a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ1. A number of forums seem to suggest it might be
    > > a
    > > hardware issue, and I have tried disabling / uninstalling various devices
    > > to
    > > see if this helps, but this also has not got me any further.
    > >
    > > Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this error code
    > > means? Is there a way to force the SP to install despite this error code
    > > (it
    > > does get to 100% at stage 3 after all, so maybe it does install, but one
    > > of
    > > the packages check routines is picking up an error which doesn't really
    > > exist???)
    >
    >
    > I had the same problem
    > and after a lot of trial and error, got SP1 to install by opting to install
    > in the quiet mode /q
    >
    > Does not make sense but for me , it worked
    >
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    philo Guest

    Re: Vista SP1 Will Not Install


    "Mr Taf" <MrTaf@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:13966257-D825-48E9-B560-AB26BAD0E67E@xxxxxx

    > Philo - Does sound stange, but i'll give it a go. You never know...
    >

    It won't hurt anything to try...
    please post back with results.

    I suspect it was just some odd fluke


    > "philo" wrote:
    >

    >>
    >> "Mr Taf" <Mr Taf@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    >> news:39856363-1020-41A6-8BA6-EEDDD8878909@xxxxxx

    >> > I've tried numerous times to Install Vista Sp1, but without success.
    >> > The
    >> > install appers to go well, reaching 100% at stage 3, but then the
    >> > screen
    >> > reports the SP did not successfully install, and proceeds to roll back.
    >> > On
    >> > Checking the message in Windows Update, the install failed with error
    >> > 80004005.
    >> >
    >> > I've raised the issue directly with MS, but the advice to install the
    >> > SP
    >> > in
    >> > Safe mode has not helped. I've also trawled various forums and cannot
    >> > find
    >> > any reference to the specific error code.
    >> >
    >> > I own a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ1. A number of forums seem to suggest it might
    >> > be
    >> > a
    >> > hardware issue, and I have tried disabling / uninstalling various
    >> > devices
    >> > to
    >> > see if this helps, but this also has not got me any further.
    >> >
    >> > Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this error
    >> > code
    >> > means? Is there a way to force the SP to install despite this error
    >> > code
    >> > (it
    >> > does get to 100% at stage 3 after all, so maybe it does install, but
    >> > one
    >> > of
    >> > the packages check routines is picking up an error which doesn't really
    >> > exist???)
    >>
    >>
    >> I had the same problem
    >> and after a lot of trial and error, got SP1 to install by opting to
    >> install
    >> in the quiet mode /q
    >>
    >> Does not make sense but for me , it worked
    >>
    >>
    >>


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Mr Taf Guest

    Re: Vista SP1 Will Not Install

    Sounds like it was a fluke. It has failed with the same error. The errors
    in CBS.LOG (in Darrells answer) all point around an issue with Windows
    Firewall, so I've even tried turning the firewall off, but this also has not
    helped.

    So no luck yet, but thanks for the post, it was definitely worth a go.

    "philo" wrote:

    >
    > "Mr Taf" <MrTaf@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    > news:13966257-D825-48E9-B560-AB26BAD0E67E@xxxxxx

    > > Philo - Does sound stange, but i'll give it a go. You never know...
    > >
    >
    >
    > It won't hurt anything to try...
    > please post back with results.
    >
    > I suspect it was just some odd fluke
    >
    >

    > > "philo" wrote:
    > >

    > >>
    > >> "Mr Taf" <Mr Taf@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    > >> news:39856363-1020-41A6-8BA6-EEDDD8878909@xxxxxx
    > >> > I've tried numerous times to Install Vista Sp1, but without success.
    > >> > The
    > >> > install appers to go well, reaching 100% at stage 3, but then the
    > >> > screen
    > >> > reports the SP did not successfully install, and proceeds to roll back.
    > >> > On
    > >> > Checking the message in Windows Update, the install failed with error
    > >> > 80004005.
    > >> >
    > >> > I've raised the issue directly with MS, but the advice to install the
    > >> > SP
    > >> > in
    > >> > Safe mode has not helped. I've also trawled various forums and cannot
    > >> > find
    > >> > any reference to the specific error code.
    > >> >
    > >> > I own a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ1. A number of forums seem to suggest it might
    > >> > be
    > >> > a
    > >> > hardware issue, and I have tried disabling / uninstalling various
    > >> > devices
    > >> > to
    > >> > see if this helps, but this also has not got me any further.
    > >> >
    > >> > Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this error
    > >> > code
    > >> > means? Is there a way to force the SP to install despite this error
    > >> > code
    > >> > (it
    > >> > does get to 100% at stage 3 after all, so maybe it does install, but
    > >> > one
    > >> > of
    > >> > the packages check routines is picking up an error which doesn't really
    > >> > exist???)
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> I had the same problem
    > >> and after a lot of trial and error, got SP1 to install by opting to
    > >> install
    > >> in the quiet mode /q
    > >>
    > >> Does not make sense but for me , it worked
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    >
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    philo Guest

    Re: Vista SP1 Will Not Install


    "Mr Taf" <MrTaf@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:E85DB551-5EA6-4368-AE8C-0C24D1F93C30@xxxxxx

    > Sounds like it was a fluke. It has failed with the same error. The
    > errors
    > in CBS.LOG (in Darrells answer) all point around an issue with Windows
    > Firewall, so I've even tried turning the firewall off, but this also has
    > not
    > helped.
    >
    > So no luck yet, but thanks for the post, it was definitely worth a go.
    >

    Thanks for posting back...
    I still don't know why that did the trick on my system



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vista SP1 Will Not Install
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Re: Vista Home Premium Install Hangs At Completing. (Clean Install) Vista installation & setup
Vista SP2 will not Install(error 0x80070002),In Place Upgrade Repair Install General Discussion
RE: Remote control applet wont install or even prompt to install-vista Virtual Server
Can't Install Vista Home premium upgrade - "can't install a file and quits Vista installation & setup
Promise FastTrak S150 TXplus Install Vista B2 install success!(do Vista General