Thanks for the suggstions. here is what I have found:
1. XP computer management reports - Vista NTFS Healthy(Unknown Partition) -
2. Ran Vista repair few times - first time boot sector code for system disk
partition corrupt - and corrected.
3. system now shows boot menu for dual boot
) BUT when Vista is choosen it
starts to boot (initial (c) Microsoft Corp) screen then reboots.
4. I still cannot see my Vista drive when using XP windows explorer
5. partition Magic still shows drive with Vista as "bad"
Any other ideas?