Windows Vista Forums

Why doesn't Product Key work?

  1. #1


    Terranaut Guest

    Why doesn't Product Key work?

    I have just downloaded Vista via the links provided by the email sent to my
    from service@microsoft.com.

    Unfortunately, when it comes to entering them into the installer, I get
    "Setup cannot validate your product key .....", I have double checked the
    digits, copied and pasted them from the email, but I still get the error.

    I have even obtained another product key, via my secondary hotmail account.
    But that doesn't work also.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] Guest

    Re: Why doesn't Product Key work?

    Have you tried alternative methods to see if it will accept the key, such as
    launching setup using Virtual Drive software such as Daemon Tools or NERO
    Image Drive. Or extract the contents of the ISO to a folder and launch setup
    from there?
    --
    --
    Andre
    Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    "Terranaut" <Terranaut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:05B2EDAF-C83D-446F-8DB9-0EE22B59E756@microsoft.com...
    >I have just downloaded Vista via the links provided by the email sent to my
    > from service@microsoft.com.
    >
    > Unfortunately, when it comes to entering them into the installer, I get
    > "Setup cannot validate your product key .....", I have double checked the
    > digits, copied and pasted them from the email, but I still get the error.
    >
    > I have even obtained another product key, via my secondary hotmail
    > account.
    > But that doesn't work also.




      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Terranaut Guest

    Re: Why doesn't Product Key work?

    Sorry if this is a double post, it has been nearly a hour since I have posted
    my response but it hasn't shown on the web viewer yet, so I am presuming that
    the error was true this time.

    I have tried PowerISO, Daemon Tools 4.03, Alcohol 120%, & Nero Image Drive,
    but they can only read the ISO part containing the README, not UDF partition
    containing the rest of the disk.

    The installer will recognized the keys if I boot my PC (HP Laptop running XP
    MCE) using the DVD, but it won't if I running the installer from XP (which I
    would like to do in order to perform an upgrade install)

    "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

    > Have you tried alternative methods to see if it will accept the key, such as
    > launching setup using Virtual Drive software such as Daemon Tools or NERO
    > Image Drive. Or extract the contents of the ISO to a folder and launch setup
    > from there?
    > --
    > --
    > Andre
    > Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    >
    > "Terranaut" <Terranaut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:05B2EDAF-C83D-446F-8DB9-0EE22B59E756@microsoft.com...
    > >I have just downloaded Vista via the links provided by the email sent to my
    > > from service@microsoft.com.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, when it comes to entering them into the installer, I get
    > > "Setup cannot validate your product key .....", I have double checked the
    > > digits, copied and pasted them from the email, but I still get the error.
    > >
    > > I have even obtained another product key, via my secondary hotmail
    > > account.
    > > But that doesn't work also.

    >
    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Donald L McDaniel Guest

    Re: Why doesn't Product Key work?

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:09:02 -0700, Terranaut
    <Terranaut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Sorry if this is a double post, it has been nearly a hour since I have posted
    >my response but it hasn't shown on the web viewer yet, so I am presuming that
    >the error was true this time.
    >
    >I have tried PowerISO, Daemon Tools 4.03, Alcohol 120%, & Nero Image Drive,
    >but they can only read the ISO part containing the README, not UDF partition
    >containing the rest of the disk.
    >
    >The installer will recognized the keys if I boot my PC (HP Laptop running XP
    >MCE) using the DVD, but it won't if I running the installer from XP (which I
    >would like to do in order to perform an upgrade install)



    There should be an option to do an upgrade when booting from the DVD,
    as well as on option to do a "clean" install, since it is the complete
    installer. Perhaps you are misunderstanding the Setup options.


    ==

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup.
    =====================================================

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Terranaut Guest

    Re: Why doesn't Product Key work?

    The option to perform an upgrade install of CPP Windows Vista Beta 2 is
    greyed out when the PC is booted from the DVD, that option page also has text
    along the lines of: To perform an upgrade install, please boot the disc from
    Windows.

    "Donald L McDaniel" wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:09:02 -0700, Terranaut
    > <Terranaut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Sorry if this is a double post, it has been nearly a hour since I have posted
    > >my response but it hasn't shown on the web viewer yet, so I am presuming that
    > >the error was true this time.
    > >
    > >I have tried PowerISO, Daemon Tools 4.03, Alcohol 120%, & Nero Image Drive,
    > >but they can only read the ISO part containing the README, not UDF partition
    > >containing the rest of the disk.
    > >
    > >The installer will recognized the keys if I boot my PC (HP Laptop running XP
    > >MCE) using the DVD, but it won't if I running the installer from XP (which I
    > >would like to do in order to perform an upgrade install)

    >
    >
    > There should be an option to do an upgrade when booting from the DVD,
    > as well as on option to do a "clean" install, since it is the complete
    > installer. Perhaps you are misunderstanding the Setup options.
    >
    >
    > ==
    >
    > Donald L McDaniel
    > Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup.
    > =====================================================
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Rick Guest

    Re: Why doesn't Product Key work?

    Microsoft neither recommends nor supports any
    kind of a "update" with Beta and/or Pre-Release
    software - application or operating system.


    Terranaut wrote:
    > The option to perform an upgrade install of CPP Windows Vista Beta 2 is
    > greyed out when the PC is booted from the DVD, that option page also has text
    > along the lines of: To perform an upgrade install, please boot the disc from
    > Windows.
    >
    > "Donald L McDaniel" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:09:02 -0700, Terranaut
    >> <Terranaut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sorry if this is a double post, it has been nearly a hour since I have posted
    >>> my response but it hasn't shown on the web viewer yet, so I am presuming that
    >>> the error was true this time.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried PowerISO, Daemon Tools 4.03, Alcohol 120%, & Nero Image Drive,
    >>> but they can only read the ISO part containing the README, not UDF partition
    >>> containing the rest of the disk.
    >>>
    >>> The installer will recognized the keys if I boot my PC (HP Laptop running XP
    >>> MCE) using the DVD, but it won't if I running the installer from XP (which I
    >>> would like to do in order to perform an upgrade install)

    >>
    >> There should be an option to do an upgrade when booting from the DVD,
    >> as well as on option to do a "clean" install, since it is the complete
    >> installer. Perhaps you are misunderstanding the Setup options.
    >>
    >>
    >> ==
    >>
    >> Donald L McDaniel
    >> Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup.
    >> =====================================================
    >>


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Why doesn't Product Key work?

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Vista doesn't boot and startup repair doesn't work
Hi Vista isn't booting on a friends laptop. I'm trying to fix it but have tried everything I can think of. See below - Startup Repair cannot...
Vista General
MS support doesn't recognize my Vista Product ID number
I recently purchased a HP PC with Vista Home Premium. I obtained the Product ID # and submitted that to MS Support. The response came back that...
Vista account administration
Windows Product Key doesn't work
I bought my laptop with Vista Home Premium about a month ago. I tried to get help from Microsoft about a problem I have with Vista using the...
Vista account administration
Product Key doesn't work
I'm trying to download my windows vista but the installation wizard ask me for my product key number (25 Digits) and then when I input my number the...
Vista installation & setup
if you product key does not work
Enter it again. 3 installs (beta, pre and rc1) they all gave a message to say that product key is already in use when trying to activate. Typed...
Vista General
Why doesn't Product Key work?
I have just downloaded Vista via the links provided by the email sent to my from service@microsoft.com. Unfortunately, when it comes to entering...
Vista installation & setup
Why doesn't Product Key work?
I have just downloaded Vista via the links provided by the email sent to my from service@microsoft.com. Unfortunately, when it comes to entering...
Vista installation & setup