Windows Vista Forums

file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

  1. #1


    Bob Milner Guest

    file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

    My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I want
    to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
    method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
    can't boot the machine?

    thanks

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2


    Dustin Harper Guest

    Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard


    Put the old hard drive in the new PC as a slave and transfer files that way.

    --
    Dustin Harper
    dharper@vistarip.com
    http://www.vistarip.com

    --
    "Bob Milner" <Bob Milner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:168AAEA5-46C3-4549-9462-D1C74E0074F3@microsoft.com...
    > My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I
    > want
    > to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
    > method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
    > can't boot the machine?
    >
    > thanks



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    Bob Milner Guest

    Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

    If I do this, how do I tell the file transfer wizard where to find the files
    on the slave?

    Thanks for your help.

    "Dustin Harper" wrote:

    >
    > Put the old hard drive in the new PC as a slave and transfer files that way.
    >
    > --
    > Dustin Harper
    > dharper@vistarip.com
    > http://www.vistarip.com
    >
    > --
    > "Bob Milner" <Bob Milner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:168AAEA5-46C3-4549-9462-D1C74E0074F3@microsoft.com...
    > > My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I
    > > want
    > > to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
    > > method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
    > > can't boot the machine?
    > >
    > > thanks

    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4


    Rock Guest

    Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

    "Bob Milner" <Bob Milner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I
    > want
    > to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
    > method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
    > can't boot the machine?


    Use Windows Easy Transfer and a USB cable.

    How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one
    Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us

    --
    Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5


    lbossom@comcast.net Guest

    Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

    On Feb 15, 12:37 pm, "Rock" <R...@nospam.net> wrote:
    > "Bob Milner" <Bob Mil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote


    I am faced with the same challenge right now. I have a hard drive
    that was in an XP Home system with data that I want transferred to my
    new Vista laptop. I have a hard drive enclosure and can connect the
    hard drive to the new pc, but Windows Easy Transfer only works if you
    can load and use it on TWO pcs with a user interface. The question I
    believe many of us would like to have an answer to is - is there a way
    to transfer the data (not just move files, but transfer things like IE
    settings, mail settings, and calendar settings) with only one user
    interface? Thanks!


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6


    Kent_H Guest

    RE: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard


    Here's another vote for the ability to transfer the files from a second hard
    drive on the Vista machine!

    Kent

    "Bob Milner" wrote:

    > My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I want
    > to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
    > method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
    > can't boot the machine?
    >
    > thanks


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7


    Vik Guest

    Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

    Windows Easy Transfer does not support the migration of Application and OS
    Settings off-line. It can do so only when in the currently running OS.

    Thanks.

    "lbossom@comcast.net" wrote:

    > On Feb 15, 12:37 pm, "Rock" <R...@nospam.net> wrote:
    > > "Bob Milner" <Bob Mil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    >
    > I am faced with the same challenge right now. I have a hard drive
    > that was in an XP Home system with data that I want transferred to my
    > new Vista laptop. I have a hard drive enclosure and can connect the
    > hard drive to the new pc, but Windows Easy Transfer only works if you
    > can load and use it on TWO pcs with a user interface. The question I
    > believe many of us would like to have an answer to is - is there a way
    > to transfer the data (not just move files, but transfer things like IE
    > settings, mail settings, and calendar settings) with only one user
    > interface? Thanks!
    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8


    Gary VanderMolen Guest

    Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

    Data files are easy to transfer, but there is no way to transfer
    the OS settings and program settings from a disk whose OS
    can't be booted.
    To transfer the data files, install the old drive as a temporary
    second drive in the new PC.

    Gary VanderMolen


    "Kent_H" <Kent_H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F150C8C8-75FD-4AC3-9DCC-7F09EA2E24FC@microsoft.com...
    >
    > Here's another vote for the ability to transfer the files from a second hard
    > drive on the Vista machine!
    >
    > Kent
    >
    > "Bob Milner" wrote:
    >
    >> My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I want
    >> to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
    >> method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
    >> can't boot the machine?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9


    Boulderperson Guest

    Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

    I tried to do that, however the old drives folder structure shows up (under
    disk management new drive shows up as healthy and partitioned) but the files
    do not.
    Any suggestions?

    "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

    > Data files are easy to transfer, but there is no way to transfer
    > the OS settings and program settings from a disk whose OS
    > can't be booted.
    > To transfer the data files, install the old drive as a temporary
    > second drive in the new PC.
    >
    > Gary VanderMolen
    >
    >
    > "Kent_H" <Kent_H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F150C8C8-75FD-4AC3-9DCC-7F09EA2E24FC@microsoft.com...
    > >
    > > Here's another vote for the ability to transfer the files from a second hard
    > > drive on the Vista machine!
    > >
    > > Kent
    > >
    > > "Bob Milner" wrote:
    > >
    > >> My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I want
    > >> to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
    > >> method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
    > >> can't boot the machine?

    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10


    Carl Guest

    RE: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard



    "Kent_H" wrote:

    >
    > Here's another vote for the ability to transfer the files from a second hard
    > drive on the Vista machine!
    >
    > Kent
    >
    > "Bob Milner" wrote:
    >
    > > My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I want
    > > to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
    > > method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
    > > can't boot the machine?
    > >
    > > thanks

    Here is another vote for being able to transfer Programs, profile settings,
    email from XP to Vista from slave drive. Another wringle that needs to be
    worked out to convince me to migrate from XP pro to Vista.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Transfer Vista to new Motherboard: Vista General
Is the BTX motherboard Dead ? Vista hardware & devices
Motherboard Dead? Vista hardware & devices
WMP 11 File Transfer to a New Computer Vista music pictures video
Transfer MS Mail data file from one Windows Vista computer to anot Vista mail