Windows Vista Forums

Vista activation

  1. #1


    Aaron Guest

    Vista activation

    I recently added a new hard drive to my computer because the old one died,
    and I had to place Vista on a different hard drive. Now my old activation
    key is not valid, but for all other purposes my computer is exactly the same
    except for the new HD, although it probably appears to the program that it is
    a different computer.

    Does this mean every time a new component is added, a person has to pay $60
    for a new key? I can understand if Windows is put on an entirely new
    computer, but not when a new component is added. You shouldn't have to buy
    the product again when you already paid for it in the first place.

    Thanks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Ian Guest

    RE: Vista activation

    No, it shouldn't.

    For an OEM copy the only thing you are not allowed to change is the type of
    mobo.

    For a retail copy you can change anything, but may have to re-activate. The
    key should still be valid though.

    Mind you, I'm sill running the same PC I bought as a 286 in 1990. It's a
    great computer, the best ever made. In all that time it has only needed five
    new mobos, seven processsors, nine disks, four CDs, three cases....

    > I recently added a new hard drive to my computer because the old one died,
    > and I had to place Vista on a different hard drive. Now my old activation
    > key is not valid, but for all other purposes my computer is exactly the same
    > except for the new HD, although it probably appears to the program that it is
    > a different computer.
    >
    > Does this mean every time a new component is added, a person has to pay $60
    > for a new key? I can understand if Windows is put on an entirely new
    > computer, but not when a new component is added. You shouldn't have to buy
    > the product again when you already paid for it in the first place.
    >
    > Thanks.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    DurWrathi Guest

    RE: Vista activation

    I'm having a similar issue. Just built my new rig a month ago and the hard
    drive went bad. I swapped it for another hard drive and installed vista on
    that. Now, when I try to activate the copy of vista on the new hard drive, it
    tells me that my key is already in use. I'm using the OEM version of Vista
    Home Premium. Any ideas on this? Do I need to call Microsoft to get it sorted
    out?


    "Ian" wrote:

    > No, it shouldn't.
    >
    > For an OEM copy the only thing you are not allowed to change is the type of
    > mobo.
    >
    > For a retail copy you can change anything, but may have to re-activate. The
    > key should still be valid though.
    >
    > Mind you, I'm sill running the same PC I bought as a 286 in 1990. It's a
    > great computer, the best ever made. In all that time it has only needed five
    > new mobos, seven processsors, nine disks, four CDs, three cases....
    >
    > > I recently added a new hard drive to my computer because the old one died,
    > > and I had to place Vista on a different hard drive. Now my old activation
    > > key is not valid, but for all other purposes my computer is exactly the same
    > > except for the new HD, although it probably appears to the program that it is
    > > a different computer.
    > >
    > > Does this mean every time a new component is added, a person has to pay $60
    > > for a new key? I can understand if Windows is put on an entirely new
    > > computer, but not when a new component is added. You shouldn't have to buy
    > > the product again when you already paid for it in the first place.
    > >
    > > Thanks.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Brett I. Holcomb Guest

    Re: Vista activation

    Call MS and tell them what happened. If you try and activate it you
    should get a phone number to call. If not run the command slui.exe 4 in
    your start->run box.


    DurWrathi wrote:
    > I'm having a similar issue. Just built my new rig a month ago and the hard
    > drive went bad. I swapped it for another hard drive and installed vista on
    > that. Now, when I try to activate the copy of vista on the new hard drive, it
    > tells me that my key is already in use. I'm using the OEM version of Vista
    > Home Premium. Any ideas on this? Do I need to call Microsoft to get it sorted
    > out?
    >
    >
    > "Ian" wrote:
    >
    >> No, it shouldn't.
    >>
    >> For an OEM copy the only thing you are not allowed to change is the type of
    >> mobo.
    >>
    >> For a retail copy you can change anything, but may have to re-activate. The
    >> key should still be valid though.
    >>
    >> Mind you, I'm sill running the same PC I bought as a 286 in 1990. It's a
    >> great computer, the best ever made. In all that time it has only needed five
    >> new mobos, seven processsors, nine disks, four CDs, three cases....
    >>
    >>> I recently added a new hard drive to my computer because the old one died,
    >>> and I had to place Vista on a different hard drive. Now my old activation
    >>> key is not valid, but for all other purposes my computer is exactly the same
    >>> except for the new HD, although it probably appears to the program that it is
    >>> a different computer.
    >>>
    >>> Does this mean every time a new component is added, a person has to pay $60
    >>> for a new key? I can understand if Windows is put on an entirely new
    >>> computer, but not when a new component is added. You shouldn't have to buy
    >>> the product again when you already paid for it in the first place.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Dave Guest

    Re: Vista activation

    I just went through the same problem when i upgraded my new Hard drive (see
    Below) all you have to do is call the activation number and an agent will
    generate a new code for you.
    Hope it helps...

    "Brett I. Holcomb" wrote:

    > Call MS and tell them what happened. If you try and activate it you
    > should get a phone number to call. If not run the command slui.exe 4 in
    > your start->run box.
    >
    >
    > DurWrathi wrote:
    > > I'm having a similar issue. Just built my new rig a month ago and the hard
    > > drive went bad. I swapped it for another hard drive and installed vista on
    > > that. Now, when I try to activate the copy of vista on the new hard drive, it
    > > tells me that my key is already in use. I'm using the OEM version of Vista
    > > Home Premium. Any ideas on this? Do I need to call Microsoft to get it sorted
    > > out?
    > >
    > >
    > > "Ian" wrote:
    > >
    > >> No, it shouldn't.
    > >>
    > >> For an OEM copy the only thing you are not allowed to change is the type of
    > >> mobo.
    > >>
    > >> For a retail copy you can change anything, but may have to re-activate. The
    > >> key should still be valid though.
    > >>
    > >> Mind you, I'm sill running the same PC I bought as a 286 in 1990. It's a
    > >> great computer, the best ever made. In all that time it has only needed five
    > >> new mobos, seven processsors, nine disks, four CDs, three cases....
    > >>
    > >>> I recently added a new hard drive to my computer because the old one died,
    > >>> and I had to place Vista on a different hard drive. Now my old activation
    > >>> key is not valid, but for all other purposes my computer is exactly the same
    > >>> except for the new HD, although it probably appears to the program that it is
    > >>> a different computer.
    > >>>
    > >>> Does this mean every time a new component is added, a person has to pay $60
    > >>> for a new key? I can understand if Windows is put on an entirely new
    > >>> computer, but not when a new component is added. You shouldn't have to buy
    > >>> the product again when you already paid for it in the first place.
    > >>>
    > >>> Thanks.

    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Vista activation

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activation?
I purchased Vista U, and installed on my HP zv6000, however after installing I kept getting contious crashes, but unfortunately I had already...
Vista installation & setup
Vista sp2 activation
Microsoft TechNet says that "No activation will be required for beta installs". I have installed Vista SP2 over non-activated Vista Ultimate and...
Vista General
Activation of Vista
I bought 2 copies for 2 computers of Vista. I put the same license key for both, by mistake, and they both registered, how do I go back in and...
Vista account administration
Vista activation help.
I recently swapped a laptop out with a desktop through craigs list. We agreed to reformat each others computer and use our own copies of windows. So...
Vista General
activation failure, specific question re: activation work-around
In april when I was struggling, an Elevated MS tech who suggested I reformat my hard drive described the "In Place" clean install using my purchased...
Vista installation & setup
Vista Activation
Hi, I have a question about Vista activation. If I install, for example, the OEM version of Vista which entitles me to run it only on...
Vista General
Vista RC1 activation dvd
When I load into Vista RC1, after I 've activated, Vista asks me to insert the installation DVD to complete activation. I insert the DVD and nothing...
Vista installation & setup