1. Follow the directions on this Website: http://support.microsoft.com/default...=2578&sid=1108
....ALTHOUUGH THE DIRECTIONS START OUT FOR OUTLOOK EXPRESS, DO NOT WORRY,
FOLLOW THEM, I WILL SHOW YOU WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU REACH (STEP 2, DIRECTION
#5)...do this and it will work fine(it worked for me!!).
Step 1: Add the AOL e-mail account
To add an AOL e-mail account in Outlook Express, follow these steps:1. Sign
on to AOL.
2. Start Outlook Express. If Outlook Express is not your default e-mail
client, you may be prompted to specify if you want to use Outlook Express as
your default e-mail client. To select Outlook Express as your default e-mail
client, click OK.
3. If you are prompted to type your name in the Display name box, click
Cancel, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
The new Internet account has not been created yet. Are you sure you want to
exit the wizard?
4. In Outlook Express, click Accounts on the Tools menu.
5. Click Add, and then click Mail.
6. In the Display name box, type your name as you want it to appear on your
outgoing e-mail messages, and then click Next.
7. In the E-mail address box, type your AOL e-mail alias. For example, type firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Click Next.
9. In the My incoming mail server is a list, click IMAP.
10. In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server box, type
11. In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server box, type smtp.aol.com, and then
12. In the Account name box, type your AOL account name.
13. In the Password box, type your AOL account password.
14. If you want Outlook Express to save your password, leave the Remember
password check box selected.
15. Click Next, and then click Finish.
Step 2: Configure the AOL e-mail account
After you add the AOL e-mail account, you must configure this account in
Outlook Express. To do this, follow these steps:1. When you return to the
Internet Accounts dialog box after you complete the steps from the "Step 1:
Add the AOL e-mail account" section, click the Mail tab.
Note If the Internet Accounts dialog box is not open, click Accounts on the
2. On the Mail tab, click the AOL account that you added, and then click
3. Click the Servers tab, and then click to select the My server requires
authentication check box.
4. Click Apply, and then click the Advanced tab.
5. In the Outgoing mail (SMTP box), leave the default SMTP port number as
25, DO NOT CHANGE IT TO 587. (for me, it did not matter weather I checked the
Note By default, the SMTP port number is 25.
6. Click Apply, and then click the IMAP tab.
7. Click to clear the Store special folders on IMAP server check box, click
Apply, and then click OK.
8. Click Apply, and then click OK.
9. Click Close. If you receive the following message, click Yes: