Windows Vista Forums

help! Problem with backup and restore

  1. #1


    Kiro Guest

    help! Problem with backup and restore

    I purchased a WD 500 GB external, and used windows backup. It worked
    fine. I was planing to return my laptop for repairs because it was
    making funny sounds, so i deleted all my documents/music/pictures and
    so on. When i went to restore everything, I got a pretty nasty
    problem.

    everything was restored, but stored on the F: drive, which is the
    external. when ever i would start up the computer, without the
    external plugged in, it would give me an error saying that the desktop
    wasn't found and that it was in different folder.
    there was also a problem with Microsoft office, which when ever i
    would open Word 2007 it would say "the office open xml file
    Normal.dotm cannot be opened because there are problems with the
    contents." then it would give me a second error message "Word cannot
    open the existing file. (normal)
    i would also get this same error when opening up any existing word
    file. when i would write things up and then go to save it, it says
    that "word has insufficient memory. do you want to save document one
    as rescued document 2?"
    i have a similar problem with itunes

    what do i do?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Posts : 1
    Vista Home Premium
    Local Time: 06:06


     

    Re: help! Problem with backup and restore

    I am facing exactly the same problem - both desktop and Word.

    Could anybody guide pls?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Ray Luca Guest

    Re: help! Problem with backup and restore

    S20 <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote:

    >
    >I am facing exactly the same problem - both desktop and Word.
    >
    >Could anybody guide pls?
    "help! Problem with backup and restore" isn't enough info to go on,
    idiot.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Richard Urban Guest

    Re: help! Problem with backup and restore

    It would seem that your problem is that you can not type your question when
    it would be helpful (to you) to do so!

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience



    "S20" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
    news:b5e21435159dda37553080c51e96f176@xxxxxx-gateway.com...

    >
    > I am facing exactly the same problem - both desktop and Word.
    >
    > Could anybody guide pls?
    >
    >
    > --
    > S20

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Dave T. Guest

    Re: help! Problem with backup and restore

    Richard Urban wrote:

    > It would seem that your problem is that you can not type your question
    > when it would be helpful (to you) to do so!
    >
    You guys are aware that the OP is more than a year old, aren't you?

    Dave

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Ray Luca Guest

    Re: help! Problem with backup and restore

    "Dave T." <davey@xxxxxx> wrote:

    >Richard Urban wrote:

    >> It would seem that your problem is that you can not type your question
    >> when it would be helpful (to you) to do so!
    >>
    >You guys are aware that the OP is more than a year old, aren't you?
    >
    >Dave
    Ummm... Dave, "OP" is used to refer to the Original POSTER, not the
    original post.

    And yeah, I knew that the thread had died - actually, couldn't even
    find it on Google Groups when I first replied.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Dave T. Guest

    Re: help! Problem with backup and restore

    Ray Luca wrote:

    > "Dave T." <davey@xxxxxx> wrote:
    >

    >> Richard Urban wrote:

    >>> It would seem that your problem is that you can not type your question
    >>> when it would be helpful (to you) to do so!
    >>>
    >> You guys are aware that the OP is more than a year old, aren't you?
    >>
    >> Dave
    >
    > Ummm... Dave, "OP" is used to refer to the Original POSTER, not the
    > original post.
    >
    > And yeah, I knew that the thread had died - actually, couldn't even
    > find it on Google Groups when I first replied.
    Yeah Ray, that's what I said... The OP is more than a year old! <G>

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

help! Problem with backup and restore

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Restore/Backup problem
I backed my drive up to a large external drive prior to doing a (second) clean install. I changed the name of my system when I performed the clean...
General Discussion
Backup/Restore Problem - Please help
Hello all, I recently suffered a had disk failure and therefore used the vista baskup utility to backup my complete hard drive. This morning,...
General Discussion
problem with backup and restore
not sure exactly where this would go, but I just recently got a new motherboard processor etc, and so i had to reinstall vista, well, i decided...
General Discussion
backup and restore problem
At the advice of a MS tech, I reinstalled Vista to correct some serious corruption problems. I had to do a clean install, and ran a complete backup...
Vista General
Backup and Restore Problem
I had been automatically backingup my windows vista files using the Backup and Restore Center in windows Vista. I did a reinstall this morning and...
Vista General
Vista Backup & Restore - Restore problem (08x10000e4)
I had to re-install my entire Vista system on my PC yesterday back to how it was set up when it left the factory. Prior to that I'd been doing...
Vista performance & maintenance
Backup/Restore Problem
Before doing a clean install of 5536, I backed up my important files using Vistas' backup utility. When I tried to Restore after the install, I got...
Vista General