Windows Vista Forums

computer restarting

  1. #1


    jennyjen Guest

    computer restarting

    Hi everyone,

    Im a little lost on where i go next with this issue. I got a computer about
    1.5 years ago now with Vista Premium on it. Everything was great up until a
    few months ago. My computer started restarting randomly. I thought it might
    be a virus so i did the normal scaning and found nothing, just to be safe i
    reformatted it with a clean windows install. But its still happening. I
    didnt change any hardware, its in a properly ventilated area, and nothing in
    perticular seems to trigger it. Sometimes it can go 2 days without
    restarting once, some times it can do it twice in half an hour. I dont get a
    blue screen and i havnt been able to find anything in the event logs.

    Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on? Next steps to take now
    that im sure its not a software issue?

    thanks,

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Malke Guest

    Re: computer restarting

    jennyjen wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Im a little lost on where i go next with this issue. I got a computer
    > about
    > 1.5 years ago now with Vista Premium on it. Everything was great up until
    > a
    > few months ago. My computer started restarting randomly. I thought it
    > might be a virus so i did the normal scaning and found nothing, just to be
    > safe i
    > reformatted it with a clean windows install. But its still happening. I
    > didnt change any hardware, its in a properly ventilated area, and nothing
    > in
    > perticular seems to trigger it. Sometimes it can go 2 days without
    > restarting once, some times it can do it twice in half an hour. I dont
    > get a blue screen and i havnt been able to find anything in the event
    > logs.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on? Next steps to take
    > now that im sure its not a software issue?
    You can disable the automatic restart on reboot so you'll get a Stop Error
    (blue screen). That way you can research the Stop Error here:

    http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    Start Orb>Control Panel

    Or Start Orb>Search box>type: System
    Click on System that appears in the list of results.

    In Control Panel Vista-style - click on System and Maintenance.
    In Control Panel Classic View - double-click the System applet.

    In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.
    Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

    In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to
    Automatically restart. OK your way out.

    And here are some general hardware troubleshooting steps:

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Don't Panic!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Mark H Guest

    Re: computer restarting

    This might help:

    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/57410/



    "jennyjen" <jennyjen@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:50705326-6345-4958-977C-E2E98ACAB858@xxxxxx

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Im a little lost on where i go next with this issue. I got a computer
    about

    > 1.5 years ago now with Vista Premium on it. Everything was great up until
    a

    > few months ago. My computer started restarting randomly. I thought it
    might

    > be a virus so i did the normal scaning and found nothing, just to be safe
    i

    > reformatted it with a clean windows install. But its still happening. I
    > didnt change any hardware, its in a properly ventilated area, and nothing
    in

    > perticular seems to trigger it. Sometimes it can go 2 days without
    > restarting once, some times it can do it twice in half an hour. I dont
    get a

    > blue screen and i havnt been able to find anything in the event logs.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on? Next steps to take
    now

    > that im sure its not a software issue?
    >
    > thanks,


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    jennyjen Guest

    Re: computer restarting

    Thanks for all the help guys..i will give the suggestions a try when i get
    home. Oh i wanted to ask, the link given in the first responce asked me to
    make boot floppys for some hardware testing programs. The computer im having
    issues with doesnt have a floppy..is there something else i can use instead?

    "Mark H" wrote:

    > This might help:
    >
    > http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/57410/
    >
    >
    >
    > "jennyjen" <jennyjen@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    > news:50705326-6345-4958-977C-E2E98ACAB858@xxxxxx

    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > Im a little lost on where i go next with this issue. I got a computer
    > about

    > > 1.5 years ago now with Vista Premium on it. Everything was great up until
    > a

    > > few months ago. My computer started restarting randomly. I thought it
    > might

    > > be a virus so i did the normal scaning and found nothing, just to be safe
    > i

    > > reformatted it with a clean windows install. But its still happening. I
    > > didnt change any hardware, its in a properly ventilated area, and nothing
    > in

    > > perticular seems to trigger it. Sometimes it can go 2 days without
    > > restarting once, some times it can do it twice in half an hour. I dont
    > get a

    > > blue screen and i havnt been able to find anything in the event logs.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on? Next steps to take
    > now

    > > that im sure its not a software issue?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    >
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Malke Guest

    Re: computer restarting

    jennyjen wrote:

    > Thanks for all the help guys..i will give the suggestions a try when i get
    > home. Oh i wanted to ask, the link given in the first responce asked me
    > to
    > make boot floppys for some hardware testing programs. The computer im
    > having issues with doesnt have a floppy..is there something else i can use
    > instead?
    Most of the diagnostic programs now offer an .iso so you can make a bootable
    CD. Download that instead and use third-party burning software to burn
    the .iso.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Don't Panic!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Tim S. Guest

    Re: computer restarting


    "jennyjen" <jennyjen@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:50705326-6345-4958-977C-E2E98ACAB858@xxxxxx

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Im a little lost on where i go next with this issue. I got a computer
    > about
    > 1.5 years ago now with Vista Premium on it. Everything was great up until
    > a
    > few months ago. My computer started restarting randomly. I thought it
    > might
    > be a virus so i did the normal scaning and found nothing, just to be safe
    > i
    > reformatted it with a clean windows install. But its still happening. I
    > didnt change any hardware, its in a properly ventilated area, and nothing
    > in
    > perticular seems to trigger it. Sometimes it can go 2 days without
    > restarting once, some times it can do it twice in half an hour. I dont
    > get a
    > blue screen and i havnt been able to find anything in the event logs.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on? Next steps to take
    > now
    > that im sure its not a software issue?
    >
    > thanks,
    You should probably open the case and look for dust build-up and use
    compressed air in a can and blow all filters and heat sinks off to make sure
    you have good ventilation and airflow next.

    Tim


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    jennyjen Guest

    Re: computer restarting

    Hi Everyone,

    I went home lastnight and went through some of the tests suggested on the
    link you both posted. Turns out it was a RAM issue. Now im going through
    the process of elimination of is it the ram or the slot. Thanks so much for
    your help!

    cheers,

    "Malke" wrote:

    > jennyjen wrote:
    >

    > > Thanks for all the help guys..i will give the suggestions a try when i get
    > > home. Oh i wanted to ask, the link given in the first responce asked me
    > > to
    > > make boot floppys for some hardware testing programs. The computer im
    > > having issues with doesnt have a floppy..is there something else i can use
    > > instead?
    >
    > Most of the diagnostic programs now offer an .iso so you can make a bootable
    > CD. Download that instead and use third-party burning software to burn
    > the .iso.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > Don't Panic!
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Malke Guest

    Re: computer restarting

    jennyjen wrote:

    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I went home lastnight and went through some of the tests suggested on the
    > link you both posted. Turns out it was a RAM issue. Now im going through
    > the process of elimination of is it the ram or the slot. Thanks so much
    > for your help!
    Great job troubleshooting! Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Hope
    it's only the RAM. :-)

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Don't Panic!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    jennyjen Guest

    Re: computer restarting

    So it turns out that the ram wasnt the problem..i just jumped the gun a
    little there. I went further with the testing after it continued to reboot
    and i think i have it down to the power supply now. right now i have the
    cd/dvd writer unplugged and it hasnt rebooted in a week. When i plugged it
    back in it rebooted almost imediately. You think that means its the power
    supply..or the drive? If it is the power supply, does that mean i need a more
    powerful one? I havent added anything to the computer since it was purchased
    so i think its weird that it just stopped being enough power..or does this
    mean that it is failing?

    let me know what you think..

    "Malke" wrote:

    > jennyjen wrote:
    >

    > > Hi Everyone,
    > >
    > > I went home lastnight and went through some of the tests suggested on the
    > > link you both posted. Turns out it was a RAM issue. Now im going through
    > > the process of elimination of is it the ram or the slot. Thanks so much
    > > for your help!
    >
    > Great job troubleshooting! Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Hope
    > it's only the RAM. :-)
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > Don't Panic!
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Malke Guest

    Re: computer restarting

    jennyjen wrote:

    > So it turns out that the ram wasnt the problem..i just jumped the gun a
    > little there. I went further with the testing after it continued to
    > reboot
    > and i think i have it down to the power supply now. right now i have the
    > cd/dvd writer unplugged and it hasnt rebooted in a week. When i plugged
    > it
    > back in it rebooted almost imediately. You think that means its the power
    > supply..or the drive? If it is the power supply, does that mean i need a
    > more
    > powerful one? I havent added anything to the computer since it was
    > purchased so i think its weird that it just stopped being enough power..or
    > does this mean that it is failing?
    I'd start by swapping out the power supply for a known-working one. They
    don't last forever. I don't have the entire thread any more since your
    first post was a while ago and I don't remember how elderly your computer
    is. It could be:

    1. The power supply
    2. The optical drive (check cable, too)
    3. The motherboard

    So you want to start with the easy, cheap bits that can be reused if it
    winds up being the motherboard - the power supply, the optical drive and
    its cable.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ


      My System SpecsSystem Spec


computer restarting
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
computer restarting on its own, please help General Discussion
computer keeps restarting Vista General
Computer restarting Vista performance & maintenance
Computer keeps restarting Vista installation & setup
Computer restarting Vista General