Windows Vista Forums

Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

  1. #1


    swattig Guest

    Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

    I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the chkdsk
    utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this is my
    second issue.

    S

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2


    Rick Rogers Guest

    Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

    Hi,

    Right click the drive in Windows Explorer, choose properties. On the tools
    tab, you will find error checking. This is the tool you need to run.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

    "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:E6289722-14A1-4BD5-A617-E50878F636C4@microsoft.com...
    >I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the chkdsk
    > utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this is
    > my
    > second issue.
    >
    > S



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    swattig Guest

    Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

    Thanks for the reply. Where do I find Windows Explorer? I tried the "e" but
    no luck.
    S

    "Rick Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Right click the drive in Windows Explorer, choose properties. On the tools
    > tab, you will find error checking. This is the tool you need to run.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
    >
    > "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:E6289722-14A1-4BD5-A617-E50878F636C4@microsoft.com...
    > >I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the chkdsk
    > > utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this is
    > > my
    > > second issue.
    > >
    > > S

    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4


    Engel Guest

    Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

    Hello Rick.

    Check your hard disk for errors

    You can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of
    your computer by making sure that your hard disk has no errors.

    Click to open Computer.

    Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click
    Properties.

    Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. If
    you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the
    password or provide confirmation.

    To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan
    detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk
    check will simply report problems but not fix them.

    To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of
    bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the
    hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

    To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically
    fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

    Click Start.

    Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes.
    For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it's
    checking for errors.

    Note
    If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is in use
    (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted you to
    reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer.


    Good luck
    --





    "swattig" wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. Where do I find Windows Explorer? I tried the "e" but
    > no luck.
    > S
    >
    > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Right click the drive in Windows Explorer, choose properties. On the tools
    > > tab, you will find error checking. This is the tool you need to run.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,
    > >
    > > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
    > >
    > > "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:E6289722-14A1-4BD5-A617-E50878F636C4@microsoft.com...
    > > >I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the chkdsk
    > > > utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this is
    > > > my
    > > > second issue.
    > > >
    > > > S

    > >
    > >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5


    Rick Rogers Guest

    Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

    Windows Key+E is the simplest way. Type it into the start/search prompt for
    another.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

    "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:6B3A43B9-3732-4A77-860D-872C81B3B8B3@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for the reply. Where do I find Windows Explorer? I tried the "e"
    > but
    > no luck.
    > S
    >
    > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Right click the drive in Windows Explorer, choose properties. On the
    >> tools
    >> tab, you will find error checking. This is the tool you need to run.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,
    >>
    >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
    >>
    >> "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:E6289722-14A1-4BD5-A617-E50878F636C4@microsoft.com...
    >> >I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the
    >> >chkdsk
    >> > utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this
    >> > is
    >> > my
    >> > second issue.
    >> >
    >> > S

    >>
    >>



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6



    Newbie
    Join Date : Oct 2007
    Posts : 1
    Vista
    Local Time: 12:03 PM


     

    Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

    I had the same problem. The message kept telling me to do a chkdsk, but It would not work.
    I was told to do a reinstall with the Vista OS CD, but one of the options on the way to the reinstall was to do a Vista Upgrade which I did.

    It goes through a fairly long process on its own for about an hour. Then it states that their are corrupt files, so I clicked OK on all of them and let it proceed.

    All of the sudden it did it's own chkdsk and cleaned all the corrupt files. No files were lost and I am back to normal.

    I believe this all was caused when I did a hard crash because I left the computer on while it was using the batteries(I went to cut the grass). The battery ran out and hard crashed the computer.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7



    Newbie
    Join Date : Jan 2008
    Posts : 1
    VISTA X64
    Local Time: 01:03 PM


     

    Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

    Hi,

    I also do not know much about computers.

    When I try to run the check for the C drive it says it can't because the C drive is running. So it tells me it can do it when it restarts and it doesn't. I am completly lost, can anyknow please reply back about this?

    Thank you.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8



    Newbie
    Join Date : Jan 2008
    Posts : 1
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Local Time: 02:33 PM


     

    Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

    The windows explorer on my computer keeps coming up blank. i can't access the files directly the only way is by using nero. Can anyone help??? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9
    Brink's Avatar

    Administrator


    Join Date : Apr 2007
    Texas, USA
    Posts : 31,288
    64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise (RTM)
    Local Time: 01:03 PM
    usa us oklahoma

     

    Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

    Quote Originally Posted by wassx057 View Post
    Hi,

    I also do not know much about computers.

    When I try to run the check for the C drive it says it can't because the C drive is running. So it tells me it can do it when it restarts and it doesn't. I am completly lost, can anyknow please reply back about this?

    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Stud View Post
    The windows explorer on my computer keeps coming up blank. i can't access the files directly the only way is by using nero. Can anyone help??? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
    You might see if using one of these methods will allow you to run Check Disk or chkdsk at startup.

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-checkdisk.html

    Shawn

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10



    Newbie
    Join Date : Jan 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Posts : 2
    Vista Business 32-bit
    Local Time: 01:03 PM
    usa us pennsylvania

     

    Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

    You could also try running sfc /scannow at the command prompt.

    1. Find your command prompt in the start menu, usually under Accessories.
    2. Right click it and select "Run as Administrator."
    3. At the command prompt type:
    sfc /scannow

    Press enter and let it do its job.

    Hope that helps!

    -kirk

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Corrupt files - chkdsk utility
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
chkdsk isn't fixing corrupt files General Discussion
Corrupt File, please run Chkdsk Utility popup Vista performance & maintenance
Chkdsk utility and disk cleanup utility Vista performance & maintenance
chkdsk files corrupt.... Vista installation & setup
Chkdsk Utility Vista performance & maintenance