Windows Vista Forums

Vista won't shut down

  1. #1


    Barrie Guest

    Vista won't shut down

    My Vista installation, which has been behaving very well, has begun a new
    behavior pattern. When I click on Shut Down from the Start Menu, it does so
    and then, after a few minutes it starts up again. Does anyone have any
    suggestions as to what to check?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2


    dl63 Guest

    RE: Vista won't shut down

    Did you connect a new USB device to the computer? That may be the culprit.
    It sounds as if you've connected something to the computer to cause it to
    start up. For example, when I move my mouse, the computer will start up
    because that's how I configured the motherboard. My motherboard has jumper
    settings that allow connected USB devices to wake the computer; it also has a
    jumper setting to permit the keyboard to wake the computer. If the connected
    device sends a signal to the computer, your computer will start up.

    "Barrie" wrote:

    > My Vista installation, which has been behaving very well, has begun a new
    > behavior pattern. When I click on Shut Down from the Start Menu, it does so
    > and then, after a few minutes it starts up again. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions as to what to check?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    Barrie Guest

    RE: Vista won't shut down

    Hmmm. That's interesting. I guess I will have to do a search of the
    Properties of various items in the Device Manager. Thank you for the
    suggestion.

    "dl63" wrote:

    > Did you connect a new USB device to the computer? That may be the culprit.
    > It sounds as if you've connected something to the computer to cause it to
    > start up. For example, when I move my mouse, the computer will start up
    > because that's how I configured the motherboard. My motherboard has jumper
    > settings that allow connected USB devices to wake the computer; it also has a
    > jumper setting to permit the keyboard to wake the computer. If the connected
    > device sends a signal to the computer, your computer will start up.
    >
    > "Barrie" wrote:
    >
    > > My Vista installation, which has been behaving very well, has begun a new
    > > behavior pattern. When I click on Shut Down from the Start Menu, it does so
    > > and then, after a few minutes it starts up again. Does anyone have any
    > > suggestions as to what to check?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4


    dl63 Guest

    RE: Vista won't shut down

    Your welcome. When you fix it, let us know what it was. It's always
    interesting to know the exact cause of a problem.

    "Barrie" wrote:

    > Hmmm. That's interesting. I guess I will have to do a search of the
    > Properties of various items in the Device Manager. Thank you for the
    > suggestion.
    >
    > "dl63" wrote:
    >
    > > Did you connect a new USB device to the computer? That may be the culprit.
    > > It sounds as if you've connected something to the computer to cause it to
    > > start up. For example, when I move my mouse, the computer will start up
    > > because that's how I configured the motherboard. My motherboard has jumper
    > > settings that allow connected USB devices to wake the computer; it also has a
    > > jumper setting to permit the keyboard to wake the computer. If the connected
    > > device sends a signal to the computer, your computer will start up.
    > >
    > > "Barrie" wrote:
    > >
    > > > My Vista installation, which has been behaving very well, has begun a new
    > > > behavior pattern. When I click on Shut Down from the Start Menu, it does so
    > > > and then, after a few minutes it starts up again. Does anyone have any
    > > > suggestions as to what to check?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5


    hopeicantoo Guest

    RE: Vista won't shut down

    Were you able to find out what was causing this? Because this is happening on
    our computer as well ever since we installed Vista.
    --
    hopeicantoo


    "dl63" wrote:

    > Your welcome. When you fix it, let us know what it was. It's always
    > interesting to know the exact cause of a problem.
    >
    > "Barrie" wrote:
    >
    > > Hmmm. That's interesting. I guess I will have to do a search of the
    > > Properties of various items in the Device Manager. Thank you for the
    > > suggestion.
    > >
    > > "dl63" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Did you connect a new USB device to the computer? That may be the culprit.
    > > > It sounds as if you've connected something to the computer to cause it to
    > > > start up. For example, when I move my mouse, the computer will start up
    > > > because that's how I configured the motherboard. My motherboard has jumper
    > > > settings that allow connected USB devices to wake the computer; it also has a
    > > > jumper setting to permit the keyboard to wake the computer. If the connected
    > > > device sends a signal to the computer, your computer will start up.
    > > >
    > > > "Barrie" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > My Vista installation, which has been behaving very well, has begun a new
    > > > > behavior pattern. When I click on Shut Down from the Start Menu, it does so
    > > > > and then, after a few minutes it starts up again. Does anyone have any
    > > > > suggestions as to what to check?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6



    Banned
    Join Date : Sep 2007
    Posts : 1
    Vista x86 Ultimate
    Local Time: 07:37 PM


     

    Re: Vista won't shut down

    I had this same problem too. I went into Device Manager -> My mouse's properties -> Power Management tab and unchecked the box that said "Allow this device to wake up the computer".

    Thanks for the help!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7


    annie Guest

    RE: Vista won't shut down

    Did you ever resolve this problem? My computer won't shut down at all - it
    will remain in "shutting down" mode all night if I leave it.

    "Barrie" wrote:

    > My Vista installation, which has been behaving very well, has begun a new
    > behavior pattern. When I click on Shut Down from the Start Menu, it does so
    > and then, after a few minutes it starts up again. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions as to what to check?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8


    Malke Guest

    RE: Vista won't shut down

    annie wrote:

    > Did you ever resolve this problem? My computer won't shut down at all -
    > it will remain in "shutting down" mode all night if I leave it.
    >
    > "Barrie" wrote:
    >

    >> My Vista installation, which has been behaving very well, has begun a new
    >> behavior pattern. When I click on Shut Down from the Start Menu, it does
    >> so
    >> and then, after a few minutes it starts up again. Does anyone have any
    >> suggestions as to what to check?
    Posting to an older, closed thread won't be helpful. No one knows your
    details and the original poster probably won't come back.

    Here are general shutdown troubleshooting suggestions. If you need more help
    then post back with the results of your troubleshooting and details about
    your computer.

    Shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is
    refusing to exit gracefully. The program and/or process can be from malware
    or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton or McAfee).
    If you are using a Norton or McAfee product, uninstall it and replace with
    a better program such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast (free). The Windows
    Firewall is adequate for most people. With Vista, shutdown issues can also
    be caused by old/poorly written drivers so make sure all drivers are
    updated. See Step B. below for general driver directions.

    A.The first step is always to make sure your computer is virus/malware free.

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

    B. Drivers - The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke, don't
    fix it". Normally if everything is working you want to leave things as they
    are. The exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually want to update
    their video and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit of performance out
    of the hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If you're not one of those
    people, you don't need to update your drivers if there are no problems you
    are trying to solve.

    Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

    1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
    2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
    3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
    (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

    Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

    To find out what hardware is in your computer:

    1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
    2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
    machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
    3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
    Advisor or System Information for Windows.

    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
    http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

    C. If the computer is virus/malware-free, drivers are current, and no Norton
    or McAfee programs are installed, then do clean-boot troubleshooting to see
    which program/process is the culprit:

    How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

    D. If you need more information, here is an excellent shutdown
    troubleshooter:

    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    Standard caveat: If troubleshooting the issue is too difficult - and there
    is absolutely no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the
    machine to a computer repair shop. This will not be your local
    BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get recommendations from family,
    friends, colleagues.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Don't Panic!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


Vista won't shut down
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Shut down Vista Vista General
"Shut down" as default option for shut down? Vista General
Why Won't Vista Shut Down? Vista General
Vista won't shut down Vista General
Shut Down button refuses to be configured to SHUT DOWN !! Vista General