Windows Vista Forums

Color printer only prints in black and white

  1. #1


    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Posts : 3
    Vista Business 64
    Local Time: 04:11

    Color printer only prints in black and white

    I have a HP4650 that is connected to a PC running Windows XP-SP3. I am printing from a laptop running Windows Vista Business 64. I am using the "HP PCL5 Universal Print Driver" (I have the same results if I use the "HP PCL6 Universal Print Driver"). These are the drivers for Vista 64 from HP's website. The printer is connected to the Vista laptop as a local printer, using a local port similar to \\officedell\HP4650. (If I don't use the local port approach, printing is extremely slow... 3+ minutes to display the printer's Properties dialog).

    When I print from any program on the Vista laptop, even the Test Page from Properties, the printing is in black and white (no color). When I print from the computer that is connected directly to the printer, or from any other computer on the network, the printout is in color. Note that the color option **is** enabled in the printer's Properties on the Vista computer. I have unloaded and reloaded the drivers repeatedly.

    Help!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Cari \(MS-MVP\) Guest

    Re: Color printer only prints in black and white

    When you uninstalled, did you include Step 4?
    http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm

    (written for XP but exactly the same procedure in Vista)

    If you omitted it, all you did was reinstall the old drivers once more.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
    www.coribright.com/windows


    "sachelis" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
    news:b00d5d895b69a8b927ba28a5e1c908ed@xxxxxx-gateway.com...

    >
    > ::I have a HP4650 that is connected to a PC running Windows XP-SP3. I am
    > printing from a laptop running Windows Vista Business 64. I am using the
    > \"HP PCL5 Universal Print Driver\" (I have the same results if I use the
    > \"HP PCL6 Universal Print Driver\"). These are the drivers for Vista 64
    > from HP's website. The printer is connected to the Vista laptop as a
    > local printer, using a local port similar to '\\officedell\HP4650'
    > (file://\\officedell\HP4650). (If I don't use the local port approach,
    > printing is extremely slow... 3+ minutes to display the printer's
    > Properties dialog).::
    >
    > ::When I print from any program on the Vista laptop, even the Test Page
    > from Properties, the printing is in black and white (no color). When I
    > print from the computer that is connected directly to the printer, or
    > from any other computer on the network, the printout is in color. Note
    > that the color option **is** enabled in the printer's Properties on the
    > Vista computer. I have unloaded and reloaded the drivers repeatedly.::
    >
    > Help!
    >
    >
    > --
    > sachelis

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Questor Guest

    Re: Color printer only prints in black and white

    Can you go into control panel-classic view-printers-select the printer by
    left clicking on it then right click on it and select run as
    administrator-properties and you will have to look around for the color and
    grayscale or black & white options usually under printing preferences and
    print quality and change it to color.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Posts : 3
    Vista Business 64
    Local Time: 04:11


      Thread Starter

    Re: Color printer only prints in black and white

    It turned out that I needed to use the "HP Universal Printing PS (v4.7)" print driver. Very frustrating, as HP had told me (and the site lists) the HP PCL print drivers for my OS, Vista Business 64. Go figure.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Join Date : Jan 2009
    Posts : 25
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Local Time: 07:11
    usa us florida

     

    Re: Color printer only prints in black and white

    Quote Originally Posted by sachelis View Post
    It turned out that I needed to use the "HP Universal Printing PS (v4.7)" print driver. Very frustrating, as HP had told me (and the site lists) the HP PCL print drivers for my OS, Vista Business 64. Go figure.

    I tried that universal driver for my HP2840 networked printer, and it will only print in B&W. I had to use the Windows 2800 series pritner, but now it takes 5-10 minutes to print a page from a PDF document.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Posts : 3
    Vista Business 64
    Local Time: 04:11


      Thread Starter

    Re: Color printer only prints in black and white

    Quote Originally Posted by asg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sachelis View Post
    It turned out that I needed to use the "HP Universal Printing PS (v4.7)" print driver. Very frustrating, as HP had told me (and the site lists) the HP PCL print drivers for my OS, Vista Business 64. Go figure.

    I tried that universal driver for my HP2840 networked printer, and it will only print in B&W. I had to use the Windows 2800 series pritner, but now it takes 5-10 minutes to print a page from a PDF document.
    Are you on a network and if so, did you install it as a local printer?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Join Date : Jan 2009
    Posts : 25
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Local Time: 07:11
    usa us florida

     

    Re: Color printer only prints in black and white

    Quote Originally Posted by sachelis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sachelis View Post
    It turned out that I needed to use the "HP Universal Printing PS (v4.7)" print driver. Very frustrating, as HP had told me (and the site lists) the HP PCL print drivers for my OS, Vista Business 64. Go figure.

    I tried that universal driver for my HP2840 networked printer, and it will only print in B&W. I had to use the Windows 2800 series pritner, but now it takes 5-10 minutes to print a page from a PDF document.
    Are you on a network and if so, did you install it as a local printer?

    I am on a home network and the printer was installed as a network printer, not as a local printer.

    I am not having any problems printing out of any other program, just problems with adobe acrobat.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Color printer only prints in black and white

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Vista only shows black and white color problem! I need a fix
I was gaming the other day and my vista 32bit somehow only displays only black,white,gray colors now. I tried to find a fix for this but i can't find...
General Discussion
Problem with Dell printer after installation of Vista SP2 (printer prints an extra page)
Hi everyone, Just installed Vista SP2. Everything seems to work OK except for my Dell 1720 printer. It now prints an extra page before the...
Vista General
Color seems like blue instead of white?
I have a dual monitor system and as I was changing things over to Vista I still had XP running on the other monitor using a DVM switch I noticed...
Vista General
VISTA black and white color
Recently my VISTA Ultimate got the 'STOP' error. It did not show up any related file error on the black screen. Then I reboot my machine and the...
Vista General
Photo Gallery turns my color pix black and white?
I have a Canon i550 color printer, which is the default on my system. All of a sudden tonight, when I try to print in color, it comes out in black...
Vista music pictures video
ATI x700 Svideo to TV comes out Black and White not in color.
I had this same setup in Windows XP and everything worked great. I installed Windows Vista and now my secondary display which is my TV only shows...
Vista hardware & devices
ATI x700 Svideo to TV comes out Black and White not in color.
I had this same setup in Windows XP and everything worked great. I installed Windows Vista and now my secondary display which is my TV only shows...
Vista hardware & devices