Windows Vista Forums

DOS Printing: System Error 66

  1. #1


    Jimbo Guest

    DOS Printing: System Error 66

    I just replaced a WinXP laptop with a WinVista laptop. I was able to
    print from DOS programs to a network printer on the XP machine via
    'redirecting' LPT1 via the command

    NET USE LPT1 \\servername\printername password /user:username

    Using the same script on the new Vista laptop, however, gives me the

    System error 66 has occurred
    The network resource type is not correct

    response. This occurs regardless of whether I precede the correct
    command with a precautionary 'delete'

    NET USE LPT1 /delete

    Any thoughts? Web based research turned up several dead ends.

    Thanks,

    Jim





      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2


    PaulB Guest

    RE: DOS Printing: System Error 66

    Are you opening the command prompt with "Run as administrator"?
    --
    Paul


    "Jimbo" wrote:

    > I just replaced a WinXP laptop with a WinVista laptop. I was able to
    > print from DOS programs to a network printer on the XP machine via
    > 'redirecting' LPT1 via the command
    >
    > NET USE LPT1 \\servername\printername password /user:username
    >
    > Using the same script on the new Vista laptop, however, gives me the
    >
    > System error 66 has occurred
    > The network resource type is not correct
    >
    > response. This occurs regardless of whether I precede the correct
    > command with a precautionary 'delete'
    >
    > NET USE LPT1 /delete
    >
    > Any thoughts? Web based research turned up several dead ends.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    Jimbo Guest

    Re: DOS Printing: System Error 66

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:48:00 -0700, PaulB
    <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Are you opening the command prompt with "Run as administrator"?



    Thanks for the response, Paul. I don't know the answer to that
    question--I just checked, and my "Command Prompt" shortcut has all
    options in the relevant tab ("Compatibility") greyed out.

    FWIW, I am logged in as an administrator, and all of the other NET USE
    commands succeed. (The "NET USE LPT1" command is part of a start-up
    type batch file that I run manually when needed.)

    Jim




      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4


    PaulB Guest

    Re: DOS Printing: System Error 66

    Right click on the CMD shortcut and click on "Run as administrator" When the
    Command Prompt opens the heading will be Administrator Command Prompt.
    --
    Paul


    "Jimbo" wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:48:00 -0700, PaulB
    > <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Are you opening the command prompt with "Run as administrator"?

    >
    >
    > Thanks for the response, Paul. I don't know the answer to that
    > question--I just checked, and my "Command Prompt" shortcut has all
    > options in the relevant tab ("Compatibility") greyed out.
    >
    > FWIW, I am logged in as an administrator, and all of the other NET USE
    > commands succeed. (The "NET USE LPT1" command is part of a start-up
    > type batch file that I run manually when needed.)
    >
    > Jim
    >
    >
    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5


    Jimbo Guest

    Re: DOS Printing: System Error 66

    Thanks Paul. Doing this still gives me the error #66. Given that I'm
    signed on as Administrator anyway, should I have expected different
    results?

    Jim



    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:40:02 -0700, PaulB
    <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Right click on the CMD shortcut and click on "Run as administrator" When the
    >Command Prompt opens the heading will be Administrator Command Prompt.



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6


    PaulB Guest

    Re: DOS Printing: System Error 66

    I went back and reassigned LPT1 on my system and the only time I get that
    error is when the servername\printername is wrong. I'm not sure what the
    problem is.
    --
    Paul


    "Jimbo" wrote:

    > Thanks Paul. Doing this still gives me the error #66. Given that I'm
    > signed on as Administrator anyway, should I have expected different
    > results?
    >
    > Jim
    >
    >
    >
    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:40:02 -0700, PaulB
    > <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Right click on the CMD shortcut and click on "Run as administrator" When the
    > >Command Prompt opens the heading will be Administrator Command Prompt.

    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7


    Jimbo Guest

    Re: DOS Printing: System Error 66

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:46:03 -0700, PaulB
    <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I went back and reassigned LPT1 on my system and the only time I get that
    >error is when the servername\printername is wrong. I'm not sure what the
    >problem is.



    Thanks PaulB. Here is the specific syntax, and as mentioned, it works
    fine on my XP clients but does not work on my Vista clients. I've
    tried adding colons, etc., to "LPT1", but I always get error 66. Is
    it possible that the syntax has changed from XP to Vista? The 'net
    use' help appears to be very similar between the two OSes.

    Net Use LPT1 \\server2007\hp50000 password /USER:Administrator

    Jim





      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8


    PaulB Guest

    Re: DOS Printing: System Error 66

    Hi Jim,
    The only part of the syntax that I'm not sure of is the password. I don't
    use that.
    You probalby know this but type net use /? and check it out. I wish I
    could be of more help.
    --
    Paul


    "Jimbo" wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:46:03 -0700, PaulB
    > <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I went back and reassigned LPT1 on my system and the only time I get that
    > >error is when the servername\printername is wrong. I'm not sure what the
    > >problem is.

    >
    >
    > Thanks PaulB. Here is the specific syntax, and as mentioned, it works
    > fine on my XP clients but does not work on my Vista clients. I've
    > tried adding colons, etc., to "LPT1", but I always get error 66. Is
    > it possible that the syntax has changed from XP to Vista? The 'net
    > use' help appears to be very similar between the two OSes.
    >
    > Net Use LPT1 \\server2007\hp50000 password /USER:Administrator
    >
    > Jim
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9


    Jimbo Guest

    Re: DOS Printing: System Error 66

    Thanks Paul; it's not the first Vista bug I've encountered :-)



    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:24:03 -0700, PaulB
    <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Jim,
    >The only part of the syntax that I'm not sure of is the password. I don't
    >use that.
    >You probalby know this but type net use /? and check it out. I wish I
    >could be of more help.



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10



    Newbie
    Join Date : Mar 2007
    Posts : 2
    Local Time: 12:58 AM


     

    Re: DOS Printing: System Error 66

    Has anyone EVER solved this problem? It is many months and a Vista Service Pack later and this still seems to fail for me. This is a REAL pain for me Thanks for any pointers.

    Harvey

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DOS Printing: System Error 66
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Printing email not longer working in Windows Mail (System: Vista64, IE8) Vista mail
update does not apply to your system error when the system is corr Vista performance & maintenance
Recieving a DB2 UDB SQL5005C SYSTEM ERROR right after system start Vista General
Error printing Vista print fax & scan
Printing System Vista print fax & scan