Windows Vista Forums

Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

  1. #1


    Bquinn Guest

    Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

    12/11/2007

    Long post, sorry.
    Desktop computer with new clean install of Vista Ultimate about 15 Oct 2007.
    Everything else works. Tried to open and to start to run Windows Defender
    in order to scan my disks and got a message something like this:

    Application failed to initialize : 0x800106ba. A problem caused this
    program service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or
    search Help and Support for how to start a service manually. Did the
    restart, however IT DID NOT CORRECT THE START PROBLEM of Windefend. I went
    to services to try to start it manually by right clicking on the WinDefend
    and selecting start. The message received was:

    Windows Defender could not be started.
    System error 2 has occurred
    The system can not find the file specified svchost.exe in the Windows
    System32 folder.

    I checked to insure that the file was in the system32 folder. It was.

    Check Google and one fellow said that the command: 'net start windefend'
    worked for him. I typed the command: 'net start windefend' and got the
    following messages:

    The Windefend service is starting and then
    The Windefend service could not be started
    A system error has occurred
    System error 2 has occurred
    The system cannot find the file specified

    Went to the MS download site and downloaded new Defender program and tried
    to install the program over the installed version. Received this message
    when starting the install - "You do not need to install this software
    because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. You can access
    Windows Defender from the Security Section of the Control Panel.

    Went to Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall or Change a
    program, but Windows Defender was not listed. I guess it was not listed
    since it was included in the release of Vista. Went to msconfig and
    disabled all services and rebooted. Used the command 'net start windefend'
    and got the same system 2 error answer. Computer still operates with no
    other problems noted. I wonder if my security program "Avira Premium
    Security Suite" is blocking the Defender? It shouldn't be true since I
    stopped all services and got the same error.

    Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

    Bill Quinn


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2


    Engel Guest

    RE: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

    Hello Bquinn,

    I quote dean – dean --a regular contributor here:

    You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and
    click on "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the
    bottom), and then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).
    Reboot. Reboot again. Go back to Windows Update, and re-install the same
    update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.
    This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.
    --


    "Bquinn" wrote:

    > 12/11/2007
    >
    > Long post, sorry.
    > Desktop computer with new clean install of Vista Ultimate about 15 Oct 2007.
    > Everything else works. Tried to open and to start to run Windows Defender
    > in order to scan my disks and got a message something like this:
    >
    > Application failed to initialize : 0x800106ba. A problem caused this
    > program service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or
    > search Help and Support for how to start a service manually. Did the
    > restart, however IT DID NOT CORRECT THE START PROBLEM of Windefend. I went
    > to services to try to start it manually by right clicking on the WinDefend
    > and selecting start. The message received was:
    >
    > Windows Defender could not be started.
    > System error 2 has occurred
    > The system can not find the file specified svchost.exe in the Windows
    > System32 folder.
    >
    > I checked to insure that the file was in the system32 folder. It was.
    >
    > Check Google and one fellow said that the command: 'net start windefend'
    > worked for him. I typed the command: 'net start windefend' and got the
    > following messages:
    >
    > The Windefend service is starting and then
    > The Windefend service could not be started
    > A system error has occurred
    > System error 2 has occurred
    > The system cannot find the file specified
    >
    > Went to the MS download site and downloaded new Defender program and tried
    > to install the program over the installed version. Received this message
    > when starting the install - "You do not need to install this software
    > because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. You can access
    > Windows Defender from the Security Section of the Control Panel.
    >
    > Went to Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall or Change a
    > program, but Windows Defender was not listed. I guess it was not listed
    > since it was included in the release of Vista. Went to msconfig and
    > disabled all services and rebooted. Used the command 'net start windefend'
    > and got the same system 2 error answer. Computer still operates with no
    > other problems noted. I wonder if my security program "Avira Premium
    > Security Suite" is blocking the Defender? It shouldn't be true since I
    > stopped all services and got the same error.
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
    >
    > Bill Quinn
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3


    Bquinn Guest

    Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

    Thank you Engel for your help. Did the uninstall of KB931 099 update as
    outlined in your message, rebooted two times, and then ran the update
    program which did reinstall the KB931 099 and KB915 579.

    I still get those same error messages so the Defender is not fixed. Since
    the computer is running OK with those problems maybe I should stop trying to
    fix it --- or should I say live with it.

    Again thanks for you help and interest.

    Bill Quinn


    "Engel" <Engel@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:7A98DD03-39A6-4A32-B498-702D92097AFB@xxxxxx

    > Hello Bquinn,
    >
    > I quote dean – dean --a regular contributor here:
    >
    > You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and
    > click on "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the
    > bottom), and then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).
    > Reboot. Reboot again. Go back to Windows Update, and re-install the same
    > update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.
    > This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.
    > --
    >
    >
    > "Bquinn" wrote:
    >

    >> 12/11/2007
    >>
    >> Long post, sorry.
    >> Desktop computer with new clean install of Vista Ultimate about 15 Oct
    >> 2007.
    >> Everything else works. Tried to open and to start to run Windows
    >> Defender
    >> in order to scan my disks and got a message something like this:
    >>
    >> Application failed to initialize : 0x800106ba. A problem caused this
    >> program service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or
    >> search Help and Support for how to start a service manually. Did the
    >> restart, however IT DID NOT CORRECT THE START PROBLEM of Windefend. I
    >> went
    >> to services to try to start it manually by right clicking on the
    >> WinDefend
    >> and selecting start. The message received was:
    >>
    >> Windows Defender could not be started.
    >> System error 2 has occurred
    >> The system can not find the file specified svchost.exe in the Windows
    >> System32 folder.
    >>
    >> I checked to insure that the file was in the system32 folder. It was.
    >>
    >> Check Google and one fellow said that the command: 'net start windefend'
    >> worked for him. I typed the command: 'net start windefend' and got the
    >> following messages:
    >>
    >> The Windefend service is starting and then
    >> The Windefend service could not be started
    >> A system error has occurred
    >> System error 2 has occurred
    >> The system cannot find the file specified
    >>
    >> Went to the MS download site and downloaded new Defender program and
    >> tried
    >> to install the program over the installed version. Received this message
    >> when starting the install - "You do not need to install this software
    >> because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. You can access
    >> Windows Defender from the Security Section of the Control Panel.
    >>
    >> Went to Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall or Change a
    >> program, but Windows Defender was not listed. I guess it was not listed
    >> since it was included in the release of Vista. Went to msconfig and
    >> disabled all services and rebooted. Used the command 'net start
    >> windefend'
    >> and got the same system 2 error answer. Computer still operates with no
    >> other problems noted. I wonder if my security program "Avira Premium
    >> Security Suite" is blocking the Defender? It shouldn't be true since I
    >> stopped all services and got the same error.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Bill Quinn
    >>
    >>

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4


    Engel Guest

    Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

    Hi Bill,

    I'm not sure about this--but it looks promising--

    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/935511/en-us>


    Good luck

    --



    "Bquinn" wrote:

    > Thank you Engel for your help. Did the uninstall of KB931 099 update as
    > outlined in your message, rebooted two times, and then ran the update
    > program which did reinstall the KB931 099 and KB915 579.
    >
    > I still get those same error messages so the Defender is not fixed. Since
    > the computer is running OK with those problems maybe I should stop trying to
    > fix it --- or should I say live with it.
    >
    > Again thanks for you help and interest.
    >
    > Bill Quinn
    >
    >
    > "Engel" <Engel@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    > news:7A98DD03-39A6-4A32-B498-702D92097AFB@xxxxxx

    > > Hello Bquinn,
    > >
    > > I quote dean – dean --a regular contributor here:
    > >
    > > You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and
    > > click on "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the
    > > bottom), and then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).
    > > Reboot. Reboot again. Go back to Windows Update, and re-install the same
    > > update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.
    > > This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.
    > > --
    > >
    > >
    > > "Bquinn" wrote:
    > >

    > >> 12/11/2007
    > >>
    > >> Long post, sorry.
    > >> Desktop computer with new clean install of Vista Ultimate about 15 Oct
    > >> 2007.
    > >> Everything else works. Tried to open and to start to run Windows
    > >> Defender
    > >> in order to scan my disks and got a message something like this:
    > >>
    > >> Application failed to initialize : 0x800106ba. A problem caused this
    > >> program service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or
    > >> search Help and Support for how to start a service manually. Did the
    > >> restart, however IT DID NOT CORRECT THE START PROBLEM of Windefend. I
    > >> went
    > >> to services to try to start it manually by right clicking on the
    > >> WinDefend
    > >> and selecting start. The message received was:
    > >>
    > >> Windows Defender could not be started.
    > >> System error 2 has occurred
    > >> The system can not find the file specified svchost.exe in the Windows
    > >> System32 folder.
    > >>
    > >> I checked to insure that the file was in the system32 folder. It was.
    > >>
    > >> Check Google and one fellow said that the command: 'net start windefend'
    > >> worked for him. I typed the command: 'net start windefend' and got the
    > >> following messages:
    > >>
    > >> The Windefend service is starting and then
    > >> The Windefend service could not be started
    > >> A system error has occurred
    > >> System error 2 has occurred
    > >> The system cannot find the file specified
    > >>
    > >> Went to the MS download site and downloaded new Defender program and
    > >> tried
    > >> to install the program over the installed version. Received this message
    > >> when starting the install - "You do not need to install this software
    > >> because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. You can access
    > >> Windows Defender from the Security Section of the Control Panel.
    > >>
    > >> Went to Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall or Change a
    > >> program, but Windows Defender was not listed. I guess it was not listed
    > >> since it was included in the release of Vista. Went to msconfig and
    > >> disabled all services and rebooted. Used the command 'net start
    > >> windefend'
    > >> and got the same system 2 error answer. Computer still operates with no
    > >> other problems noted. I wonder if my security program "Avira Premium
    > >> Security Suite" is blocking the Defender? It shouldn't be true since I
    > >> stopped all services and got the same error.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
    > >>
    > >> Bill Quinn
    > >>
    > >>
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5



    Newbie
    Join Date : Jun 2008
    Posts : 8
    Vista ultimate x 64
    Local Time: 07:35 AM


     

    Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

    Hi Bill,
    I know you posted a long while ago......but I have the same issues with an OEM loaded Vista 64 on a laptop I purchased some 6 months ago.
    Looking for a fix is driving me mad! Tried so many things.
    Thinking of giving up on Windows Defender....unless u were able to find a fix??

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6


    Engel Guest

    RE: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

    See here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/communities...p=1&sloc=en-us

    Event Viewer - Windows Vista features a unified event log so that a support
    professional can view all the operational information about a machine from a
    single Event Viewer.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FDE1C060-CF5F-4B62-B985-6BF494F42EF9&displaylang=en>


    Windows Defender - Windows Defender works with Internet Explorer 7 to help
    you make conscious choices about software installed on your PC by providing
    always-on protection that monitors key system locations, watching for changes
    that signal the presence of unwanted spyware.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c32ecf20-ea7c-489b-8d66-fde0606de2ad&DisplayLang=en>

    Good luck
    - -- ---


    "unknown" wrote:

    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7


    kiwi Guest

    RE: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

    Thanks Engle,

    Just trying sfc scannow to see what if any vista programs are faulty/corrupt.
    If this does not help will try your suggestions

    --
    cheers, Kiwi


    "Engel" wrote:

    > See here:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...p=1&sloc=en-us
    >
    > Event Viewer - Windows Vista features a unified event log so that a support
    > professional can view all the operational information about a machine from a
    > single Event Viewer.
    >
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FDE1C060-CF5F-4B62-B985-6BF494F42EF9&displaylang=en>
    >
    >
    > Windows Defender - Windows Defender works with Internet Explorer 7 to help
    > you make conscious choices about software installed on your PC by providing
    > always-on protection that monitors key system locations, watching for changes
    > that signal the presence of unwanted spyware.
    >
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c32ecf20-ea7c-489b-8d66-fde0606de2ad&DisplayLang=en>
    >
    > Good luck
    > - -- ---
    >
    >
    > "unknown" wrote:
    >

    > >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8


    Robinb Guest

    Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

    also you cannot uninstall Windows Defender in Vista
    you can disable it by unchecking the resident shield
    robin
    "kiwi" <kiwi@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:63B3C6B2-AB42-4BD7-8189-83EDCF5B740E@xxxxxx

    > Thanks Engle,
    >
    > Just trying sfc scannow to see what if any vista programs are
    > faulty/corrupt.
    > If this does not help will try your suggestions
    >
    > --
    > cheers, Kiwi
    >
    >
    > "Engel" wrote:
    >

    >> See here:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...p=1&sloc=en-us
    >>
    >> Event Viewer - Windows Vista features a unified event log so that a
    >> support
    >> professional can view all the operational information about a machine
    >> from a
    >> single Event Viewer.
    >>
    >> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FDE1C060-CF5F-4B62-B985-6BF494F42EF9&displaylang=en>
    >>
    >>
    >> Windows Defender - Windows Defender works with Internet Explorer 7 to
    >> help
    >> you make conscious choices about software installed on your PC by
    >> providing
    >> always-on protection that monitors key system locations, watching for
    >> changes
    >> that signal the presence of unwanted spyware.
    >>
    >> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c32ecf20-ea7c-489b-8d66-fde0606de2ad&DisplayLang=en>
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >> - -- ---
    >>
    >>
    >> "unknown" wrote:
    >>

    >> >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9



    Newbie
    Join Date : May 2009
    Posts : 2
    Vista Home / 32bit
    Local Time: 02:35 PM


     

    Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

    This may be a bit late but I experienced the same problem on my Toshiba laptop running Vista Home / 32 bit OS.
    I tried all the solutions online but nothing helped fix the irritating 0x800106ba error that Defender would put up when I tried to launch it using the icon in Control Panel.
    The fix that worked for me was to go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.
    I found Windefend (or Windows Defender) and left-clicked, then right-clicked to bring up the pull-down menu. Clicked on Properties and changed the status from manual to automatic!
    I re-booted TWICE (because it was advised on one of the forums) and it's running fine now.
    Now if your Defender is already set to automatic and you're seeing the same error, I would change it to manual, go thru ALL the above steps (and try not to be too impatient) and then change it to automatic, reboot twice and see what happens.
    As a side note, my version of Vista won't allow un-installing Update KB931099 to fix this problem.
    Keep trying, the great feeling you get when you troubleshoot this successfully may be the highlight of your day.
    Good luck!!!!
    Mark

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10



    Newbie
    Join Date : May 2009
    Posts : 1
    Vista Home Premium
    Local Time: 04:35 PM


     

    Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

    Quote Originally Posted by mlt503 View Post
    This may be a bit late but I experienced the same problem on my Toshiba laptop running Vista Home / 32 bit OS.
    I tried all the solutions online but nothing helped fix the irritating 0x800106ba error that Defender would put up when I tried to launch it using the icon in Control Panel.
    The fix that worked for me was to go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.
    I found Windefend (or Windows Defender) and left-clicked, then right-clicked to bring up the pull-down menu. Clicked on Properties and changed the status from manual to automatic!
    I re-booted TWICE (because it was advised on one of the forums) and it's running fine now.
    Now if your Defender is already set to automatic and you're seeing the same error, I would change it to manual, go thru ALL the above steps (and try not to be too impatient) and then change it to automatic, reboot twice and see what happens.
    As a side note, my version of Vista won't allow un-installing Update KB931099 to fix this problem.
    Keep trying, the great feeling you get when you troubleshoot this successfully may be the highlight of your day.
    Good luck!!!!
    Mark
    I gotta tell you

    I had been dealing with this problem for months and I have googled, uninstalled, etc....to no help

    I did exactly what you said and POW! It is gone

    Thanks and you are right....made me flipping day

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Windows Defender error 0x800106ba
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Defender 0x800106ba Vista security
Vists'a defender won't initialize, error 0x800106ba. Vista General
receiving error message 0x800106ba for windows defender Vista security
Windows Defender fails to initialize - error 0x800106ba Vista General
Vists'a defender won't initialize, error 0x800106ba. Vista General