Windows Vista Forums

can't download file - "you need permission"

  1. #1


    sonar1313 Guest

    can't download file - "you need permission"

    I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No matter
    what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash drive, the
    computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can "Try
    Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
    running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting off
    User Access Control. How am I supposed to give myself permission to do this?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    empathy beard Guest

    Re: can't download file - "you need permission"

    It sounds strange, but try:
    - Open Internet Explorer
    - Select Tools -> Internet Options
    - Click Security -> Default Level

    Then just "done" your way out. It fixed a similar problem I had.

    - empbrd

    "sonar1313" <sonar1313@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:A8D3B712-9CAD-47CF-93D6-33A94682AB15@xxxxxx

    >I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No
    >matter
    > what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash drive,
    > the
    > computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can
    > "Try
    > Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
    > running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting off
    > User Access Control. How am I supposed to give myself permission to do
    > this?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    sonar1313 Guest

    Re: can't download file - "you need permission"

    Default Level is grayed out....already at that setting I imagine. Tried
    lowering the security setting a notch, still no good. Error messages
    continue:

    "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this file."

    ok, so I hit "Continue"...Skip and Cancel just cancel my download

    "Windows needs your permission to continue."

    again....continue....

    then the "you need permission to perform this action" message.

    "empathy beard" wrote:

    > It sounds strange, but try:
    > - Open Internet Explorer
    > - Select Tools -> Internet Options
    > - Click Security -> Default Level
    >
    > Then just "done" your way out. It fixed a similar problem I had.
    >
    > - empbrd
    >
    > "sonar1313" <sonar1313@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    > news:A8D3B712-9CAD-47CF-93D6-33A94682AB15@xxxxxx

    > >I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No
    > >matter
    > > what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash drive,
    > > the
    > > computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can
    > > "Try
    > > Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
    > > running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting off
    > > User Access Control. How am I supposed to give myself permission to do
    > > this?
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    JerryM Guest

    Re: can't download file - "you need permission"

    Something to try,

    Right click CMD.EXE and select Run as Administrator.
    This will put you in the Root directory where you can run your EXE files.

    "sonar1313" <sonar1313@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:A8D3B712-9CAD-47CF-93D6-33A94682AB15@xxxxxx

    > I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No
    > matter
    > what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash drive,
    > the
    > computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can
    > "Try
    > Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
    > running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting off
    > User Access Control. How am I supposed to give myself permission to do
    > this?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    JerryM Guest

    Re: can't download file - "you need permission"

    After hitting return, type CD\ and hit return to put you in the Root
    directory.

    "JerryM" <jerrym526@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news:#e$oWSQ5IHA.300@xxxxxx

    > Something to try,
    >
    > Right click CMD.EXE and select Run as Administrator.
    > This will put you in the Root directory where you can run your EXE files.
    >
    > "sonar1313" <sonar1313@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    > news:A8D3B712-9CAD-47CF-93D6-33A94682AB15@xxxxxx

    >> I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No
    >> matter
    >> what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash drive,
    >> the
    >> computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can
    >> "Try
    >> Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
    >> running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting
    >> off
    >> User Access Control. How am I supposed to give myself permission to do
    >> this?
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    sonar1313 Guest

    Re: can't download file - "you need permission"

    I can't even download the file let alone run it. I've tried "Run" instead of
    "Save" when I click the download link but that literally does nothing.

    The download instructions say: "If the file ends in dm.exe, click OPEN.
    Otherwise, click SAVE and save it to a place you'll remember later, such as
    your desktop."

    File does end in dm.exe. I don't know what difference that makes. Not sure
    what I'm supposed to do once I get into cmd.exe if I don't even have the file
    on the computer......the computer simply refuses to download.


    "JerryM" wrote:

    > Something to try,
    >
    > Right click CMD.EXE and select Run as Administrator.
    > This will put you in the Root directory where you can run your EXE files.
    >
    > "sonar1313" <sonar1313@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    > news:A8D3B712-9CAD-47CF-93D6-33A94682AB15@xxxxxx

    > > I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No
    > > matter
    > > what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash drive,
    > > the
    > > computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can
    > > "Try
    > > Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
    > > running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting off
    > > User Access Control. How am I supposed to give myself permission to do
    > > this?
    >
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    JerryM Guest

    Re: can't download file - "you need permission"

    I think I'm missing something here,

    If you click Start, All Programs, and Accessories, you should see CMD.EXE
    Right click it and select - Run as Administrator,
    Type CD\ to put you in the Root directory where you should be able to use
    your EXE files.
    BUT
    If downloading your file is the problem, type - Download files - on the
    search line above the start button.
    The file should show up there, where you can double click it to run.

    Sorry if this doesn't help


    "sonar1313" <sonar1313@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    news7CCEEF6-C8BE-4CED-B87F-DDD7A946E914@xxxxxx

    > I can't even download the file let alone run it. I've tried "Run" instead
    > of
    > "Save" when I click the download link but that literally does nothing.
    >
    > The download instructions say: "If the file ends in dm.exe, click OPEN.
    > Otherwise, click SAVE and save it to a place you'll remember later, such
    > as
    > your desktop."
    >
    > File does end in dm.exe. I don't know what difference that makes. Not
    > sure
    > what I'm supposed to do once I get into cmd.exe if I don't even have the
    > file
    > on the computer......the computer simply refuses to download.
    >
    >
    > "JerryM" wrote:
    >

    >> Something to try,
    >>
    >> Right click CMD.EXE and select Run as Administrator.
    >> This will put you in the Root directory where you can run your EXE files.
    >>
    >> "sonar1313" <sonar1313@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    >> news:A8D3B712-9CAD-47CF-93D6-33A94682AB15@xxxxxx

    >> > I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No
    >> > matter
    >> > what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash
    >> > drive,
    >> > the
    >> > computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can
    >> > "Try
    >> > Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
    >> > running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting
    >> > off
    >> > User Access Control. How am I supposed to give myself permission to do
    >> > this?
    >>
    >>

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    sonar1313 Guest

    Re: can't download file - "you need permission"

    Can't even download the file - that's the problem. It downloads 99% of the
    file, then tells me I need permission, and makes me cancel the
    download......even though it seems like I've given permission by clicking
    CONTINUE twice.

    "JerryM" wrote:

    > I think I'm missing something here,
    >
    > If you click Start, All Programs, and Accessories, you should see CMD.EXE
    > Right click it and select - Run as Administrator,
    > Type CD\ to put you in the Root directory where you should be able to use
    > your EXE files.
    > BUT
    > If downloading your file is the problem, type - Download files - on the
    > search line above the start button.
    > The file should show up there, where you can double click it to run.
    >
    > Sorry if this doesn't help
    >
    >
    > "sonar1313" <sonar1313@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    > news7CCEEF6-C8BE-4CED-B87F-DDD7A946E914@xxxxxx

    > > I can't even download the file let alone run it. I've tried "Run" instead
    > > of
    > > "Save" when I click the download link but that literally does nothing.
    > >
    > > The download instructions say: "If the file ends in dm.exe, click OPEN.
    > > Otherwise, click SAVE and save it to a place you'll remember later, such
    > > as
    > > your desktop."
    > >
    > > File does end in dm.exe. I don't know what difference that makes. Not
    > > sure
    > > what I'm supposed to do once I get into cmd.exe if I don't even have the
    > > file
    > > on the computer......the computer simply refuses to download.
    > >
    > >
    > > "JerryM" wrote:
    > >

    > >> Something to try,
    > >>
    > >> Right click CMD.EXE and select Run as Administrator.
    > >> This will put you in the Root directory where you can run your EXE files.
    > >>
    > >> "sonar1313" <sonar1313@xxxxxx> wrote in message
    > >> news:A8D3B712-9CAD-47CF-93D6-33A94682AB15@xxxxxx
    > >> > I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No
    > >> > matter
    > >> > what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash
    > >> > drive,
    > >> > the
    > >> > computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can
    > >> > "Try
    > >> > Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
    > >> > running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting
    > >> > off
    > >> > User Access Control. How am I supposed to give myself permission to do
    > >> > this?
    > >>
    > >>
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9
    PainlessTorture's Avatar
    Join Date : Jul 2008
    Northern Ireland
    Posts : 471
    Windows Vista™ Ultimate x64
    Local Time: 08:34 PM
    uk

     

    Re: can't download file - "you need permission"

    Maybe the parental control have been set to block downloads. Go to Control panel, user accounts, parental control, your username and then check. Although you need to be an admin to do this and admins cant have parental controls on them...Are you an admin?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    sonar1313 Guest

    Re: can't download file - "you need permission"

    Yes, it's my home computer and I'm the admin. I've been trying to download
    the program as the admin.....parental controls not an issue.

    "Fmjc001" wrote:

    >
    > Maybe the parental control have been set to block downloads. Go to
    > Control panel, user accounts, parental control, your username and then
    > check. Although you need to be an admin to do this and admins cant have
    > parental controls on them...Are you an admin?
    >
    >
    > --
    > Fmjc001
    >
    > ::*Regards,*::
    > ::*Fmjc001 *::
    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can't download file - "you need permission"
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
"File Download Security Warning" Vista General
Iexplorer freezes on "exe" file download Vista security
"you need permission to perform this action" copying a file Vista security
"File Download - Security Warning" dialog box opens when you try to open IE7 [new KB article] Vista General
Re: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission screens)" and "...But I thought I was an administrator" Vista security