CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER


  1.    13 Jul 2007 #1
    jj mac Guest

    CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER


    Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
    Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short period I
    receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for Windows
    Defender”
    My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
    What’s gone wrong?.
    Help Please.
    --
    JJ MacA
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    13 Jul 2007 #2
    Engel Guest

    RE: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER


    Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
    --

    "jj mac" wrote:

    > Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
    > Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short period I
    > receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for Windows
    > Defender”
    > My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
    > What’s gone wrong?.
    > Help Please.
    > --
    > JJ MacA

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    13 Jul 2007 #3
    Robert Firth Guest

    Re: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER


    Even Norton disables Windows Defender...

    Robert Firth
    http://www.winvistainfo.org

    "Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:9C1C7416-415D-4CD4-A321-68B2E9B10C7D@microsoft.com...
    > Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
    > --
    >
    > "jj mac" wrote:
    >
    >> Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
    >> Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short
    >> period I
    >> receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for
    >> Windows
    >> Defender”
    >> My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
    >> What’s gone wrong?.
    >> Help Please.
    >> --
    >> JJ MacA

    >


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    14 Jul 2007 #4
    jj mac Guest

    RE: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER


    Engel
    I had to Google live oneCare to find out what it was but no I havn't it
    installed
    --
    JJ MacA


    "Engel" wrote:

    > Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
    > --
    >
    > "jj mac" wrote:
    >
    > > Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
    > > Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short period I
    > > receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for Windows
    > > Defender”
    > > My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
    > > What’s gone wrong?.
    > > Help Please.
    > > --
    > > JJ MacA

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    14 Jul 2007 #5
    jj mac Guest

    Re: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER


    Robert
    I am using McAfee Security Center,VirusScan,Firewall,SpamKiller & Privacy
    Service.
    It is quite possble that McAfee is blocking Windows Defender. Anything
    Norton can do McAfee can do better. I've had experience of both. I think
    you have given me my answer. I keep getting security alerts from Windows
    Security Center which are a little alarming.
    --
    JJ MacA


    "Robert Firth" wrote:

    > Even Norton disables Windows Defender...
    >
    > Robert Firth
    > http://www.winvistainfo.org
    >
    > "Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:9C1C7416-415D-4CD4-A321-68B2E9B10C7D@microsoft.com...
    > > Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
    > > --
    > >
    > > "jj mac" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
    > >> Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short
    > >> period I
    > >> receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for
    > >> Windows
    > >> Defender”
    > >> My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
    > >> What’s gone wrong?.
    > >> Help Please.
    > >> --
    > >> JJ MacA

    > >

    >

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    14 Jul 2007 #6
    Engel Guest

    RE: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER


    Hi JJ MacA,

    Please confirm your system clock and Time Zone also the Date set properly,
    Having it set incorrectly can cause this type of behavior.
    --

    "jj mac" wrote:

    > Engel
    > I had to Google live oneCare to find out what it was but no I havn't it
    > installed
    > --
    > JJ MacA
    >
    >
    > "Engel" wrote:
    >
    > > Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
    > > --
    > >
    > > "jj mac" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
    > > > Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short period I
    > > > receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for Windows
    > > > Defender”
    > > > My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
    > > > What’s gone wrong?.
    > > > Help Please.
    > > > --
    > > > JJ MacA

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    21 Jul 2007 #7
    Giovanni Guest

    RE: CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER


    I am having the same problem as the topic starter. It also won't recognize
    Norton. It did when I first purchased the computer but after a couple of
    weeks I started having this problem. I have checked my time to see if it set
    correctly and it is. I have the latest Norton 360 with the latest update.

    "Engel" wrote:

    > Hi JJ MacA,
    >
    > Please confirm your system clock and Time Zone also the Date set properly,
    > Having it set incorrectly can cause this type of behavior.
    > --
    >
    > "jj mac" wrote:
    >
    > > Engel
    > > I had to Google live oneCare to find out what it was but no I havn't it
    > > installed
    > > --
    > > JJ MacA
    > >
    > >
    > > "Engel" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Just out of interest. Are you using Windows Live OneCare ?
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > "jj mac" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Windows Defender is turned off. When I click on the “Turn On now” button
    > > > > Windows Security Centre searches for definitions but after a short period I
    > > > > receive message to say “ Security Centre Can’t update definitions for Windows
    > > > > Defender”
    > > > > My operating system is Vista Home Premium.
    > > > > What’s gone wrong?.
    > > > > Help Please.
    > > > > --
    > > > > JJ MacA

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

CAN'T TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Security Center
I'm having some issues with the Malware Protection in the Security Center. First, any of the anti-virus programs I've installed are detected by...
Vista security
Windows defender - how do u turn it off??
Windows defender is not allowing me to turn my symantec anti virus on. When i installed the anti virus, it automatically turned windows defender off...
System Security
Windows Defender - Fix Unable to Turn On
How to Fix Windows Defender when it Fails to Turn On Here's How: 1. Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the...
Tutorials
Can't turn off Windows Defender
Running Vista Enterprise SP1. We're running ForeFront Client Security as our AV / Spyware app. Each morning after I start my system up. the Windows...
Vista security
Windows Defender-Turn Off
Windows Defender-Turn Off I want to turn off Windows Defender in Vista. When I go to the Help page, the wording does not agree with my option. My...
System Security
Windows Defender won't turn on
My windows defender won't turn on no matter how many times I open it and click 'on'. Every time it closes it has to be turned on again. This is...
Vista security
Windows Defender & Firewall turn off
Every day or two, I find Windows Defender and the Firewall turned off. I turn them on, but something keeps turning them off. Has anyone had...
Vista General

Our Sites
  • Ten Forums
  • Eight Forums
  • Seven Forums
  • Help Me Bake
  • Site Links
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy and Cookies
  • About Us
    Windows Vista Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27.
    .