Ok so I've been searching everywhere for a fix for this, it seems this is unfortunately quite the wide-spread problem. Unfortunately for me, it seems that simply re-registering a .dll fixed it for many users, but I have seen many that it has not fixed go unresolved.
Starters: running Vista x64 Ultimate, SP1. Avast! Home anti-virus. Have not been able to upload since April. Running Windows Update gives the error 80070424. I can update Windows Defender's files manually through the security center. I ran the livecare complete scan antivirus and it found nothing. I tried the whole registering .dll's and nothing worked. I cannot install IE 8 (tried with updates). I also cannot install SP2 (error 0x80070424).
Now, the precurser BEFORE people jump in. Registering the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL --goes successfully--, which seems to have worked for most people, but does nothing for me.
Another person seems to have had the same issue here: Windows Update Error Code: 80070424 - Vista Setup and Install
yet, it trails off when people start complaining about the WUAUENG.DLL error 0x80070005, which IS NOT MY ISSUE. The WUAUENG.DLL reregisters fine, BITS seems to be running fine, but still, error 80070424.
BITS is enabled manually and running (have also tried automatic, did nothing). While registering a list of .dlls, one or two will have the following error:
Regsvr32 QMGR.DLL - The module "QMGR.DLL" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "QMGR.DLL" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again
As for the reregistering the .DLLs, this is where the funny business seems to be happening. I was told to register these DLLs:
Yet regsvr32 wudriver.dll gives the same error: Module was loaded but the entry-point was not found.
I cannot seem to find a specific thread/area that deals directly with these DLLs and this problem, although others have mentioned this issue, they just go unresolved. I even tried downloading the DLLs and swapping them, but that was a no-go (kept the originals as _old, then swapped them back after it did nothing).
BITS restore tool says that it is not needed at this time.