Up until a few days ago, my partner's Compaq laptop was working ok but now Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 3 cannot connect to the internet.
My laptop (XP) works fine with the same connection so don't think it's an issue with our broadband.
Symptoms/facts on Vista laptop :
* There are no proxy setting in either browser
* In Internet explorer - the 'Interconnect connection setup' states "You are already connected to the Internet"
* Can ping sites (e. Google)
* Google updater can download from internet
* Windows Update can download from internet
* Windows Network Diagnostics - "Windows did not find any problems with this computer's network connection"
* HP Total Care Advisor - states that Internet connection is good
* Tried switching off firewall - browsers still cannot connect
Any ideas gratefully received!