• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

BCDEDIT.exe ACCESS DENIED

  • Thread starter =?Utf-8?B?aWx1c2hraW4=?=
  • Start date
?

=?Utf-8?B?aWx1c2hraW4=?=

#1
I'm trying to access the BCDEDIT.exe in order to manage the boot settings. I
do it under Administrator - User, however, CMD.exe says that I can't access
that file.
 

My Computer

J

Jimmy Brush

#2
Hello,

In Windows Vista, even though you are logged in as an administrator, the
programs you run are only given "normal user" access to your system. You
must explicitly authorize a program to run with administrator permission.

To do this for command-line programs, you need to open an "administrator"
command prompt, and then any program you run from that command prompt will
have the administrator permission you need.

- Click start
- Type: cmd
- Right-click cmd when it appears under Programs
- Click Run As Administrator

You will then be able to run bcdedit or any other administrative tool from
within that command prompt :)

- JB

Vista FAQ
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
 

My Computer

?

=?Utf-8?B?aWx1c2hraW4=?=

#3
All security options such as Add or Edit are grayed out :(

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In Windows Vista, even though you are logged in as an administrator, the
> programs you run are only given "normal user" access to your system. You
> must explicitly authorize a program to run with administrator permission.
>
> To do this for command-line programs, you need to open an "administrator"
> command prompt, and then any program you run from that command prompt will
> have the administrator permission you need.
>
> - Click start
> - Type: cmd
> - Right-click cmd when it appears under Programs
> - Click Run As Administrator
>
> You will then be able to run bcdedit or any other administrative tool from
> within that command prompt :)
>
> - JB
>
> Vista FAQ
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
>
 

My Computer

?

=?Utf-8?B?aWx1c2hraW4=?=

#4
all fine thank you!

"ilushkin" wrote:

> All security options such as Add or Edit are grayed out :(
>
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > In Windows Vista, even though you are logged in as an administrator, the
> > programs you run are only given "normal user" access to your system. You
> > must explicitly authorize a program to run with administrator permission.
> >
> > To do this for command-line programs, you need to open an "administrator"
> > command prompt, and then any program you run from that command prompt will
> > have the administrator permission you need.
> >
> > - Click start
> > - Type: cmd
> > - Right-click cmd when it appears under Programs
> > - Click Run As Administrator
> >
> > You will then be able to run bcdedit or any other administrative tool from
> > within that command prompt :)
> >
> > - JB
> >
> > Vista FAQ
> > http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
> >
 

My Computer

?

=?Utf-8?B?aWx1c2hraW4=?=

#7
im sorry, that was my fault. i wen too deep into the security settings. all i
had to da was to choose Run as Administrator from the right menu. Thanks.

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't understand. Where do you see the Add and Edit buttons?
>
> - JB
 

My Computer

?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGlwcHlkbw==?=

#8
Run as Administrator works for single program execution. It does not appear
to work for installing like ATI, which aborts the setup because you are not
administrator. To log in as administrator it appears I must boot with safe
boot. When I do a safe boot it does not allow installations. I am quite
frustrated with the additional security, and I am not finding workarounds.
Thanks

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In Windows Vista, even though you are logged in as an administrator, the
> programs you run are only given "normal user" access to your system. You
> must explicitly authorize a program to run with administrator permission.
>
> To do this for command-line programs, you need to open an "administrator"
> command prompt, and then any program you run from that command prompt will
> have the administrator permission you need.
>
> - Click start
> - Type: cmd
> - Right-click cmd when it appears under Programs
> - Click Run As Administrator
>
> You will then be able to run bcdedit or any other administrative tool from
> within that command prompt :)
>
> - JB
>
> Vista FAQ
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
>
 

My Computer

?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGlwcHlkbw==?=

#10
Thanks Jimmy. I have a user with admin priviliages. This is not sufficient.
To log in as Administrator, I am only allowed in "Safe mode". Safe Mode
disables installation, and it cannot be enabled from safe mode. How do I make
default ADMINISTRATOR account appear in my login options, or how do I start
in normal mode?

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Running a setup program as administrator should work. If you run the setup
> program as administrator and it says you are not an administrator, then that
> is a bug.
>
> - JB
>
> Vista FAQ
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
>
 

My Computer

J

Jimmy Brush

#11
If you want administrator accounts to operate like they did in Windows XP,
you can turn off UAC. However, it is strongly recommended that you do not do
this, as it reduces system security.

- Click Start
- Click Control Panel
- Click User Accounts and Family Safety
- Click User Accounts
- Click Change Security Settings
- Uncheck the checkbox
- Click OK

You will need to restart your computer for the change to take effect. This
change affects all accounts on the computer, not just yours.

- JB

Vista FAQ
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
 

My Computer

?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGlwcHlkbw==?=

#12
many thanks

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> If you want administrator accounts to operate like they did in Windows XP,
> you can turn off UAC. However, it is strongly recommended that you do not do
> this, as it reduces system security.
>
> - Click Start
> - Click Control Panel
> - Click User Accounts and Family Safety
> - Click User Accounts
> - Click Change Security Settings
> - Uncheck the checkbox
> - Click OK
>
> You will need to restart your computer for the change to take effect. This
> change affects all accounts on the computer, not just yours.
>
> - JB
>
> Vista FAQ
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
>
 

My Computer

?

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBMeW9ucw==?=

#13
Hello,

I have loaded Vista on a blank drive. I have XP loaded on another one. I
want to multi-boot. Do I need to change the bcd file and the boot.ini files?
Can you please help?

Thanks
Eric

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In Windows Vista, even though you are logged in as an administrator, the
> programs you run are only given "normal user" access to your system. You
> must explicitly authorize a program to run with administrator permission.
>
> To do this for command-line programs, you need to open an "administrator"
> command prompt, and then any program you run from that command prompt will
> have the administrator permission you need.
>
> - Click start
> - Type: cmd
> - Right-click cmd when it appears under Programs
> - Click Run As Administrator
>
> You will then be able to run bcdedit or any other administrative tool from
> within that command prompt :)
>
> - JB
>
> Vista FAQ
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
>
 

My Computer

goboydj

New Member
Messages
2
#15
Problems

I'm literally at bursting point. Don't know what to do and am worried if I make a wrong move I will make it worse. I had Windows XP x64 installed and decided to install Vista and (yes I know it was stupid) hope to install Vista when it was already activated on another machine. I since realised I could not activate it and had to buy another copy of Vista, I then installed it and activated it - all fine, but then realised I could not get in to XP x64, where last time I had the boot menu. Now I do not. And I don't know what to do to get it working again. All I know is that Vista detects the XP hard drive as E. I have downloaded VistaBootPro - don't understand it much, but the old entry in the list detects XP as D (what it was before),. I knew at the time when I rebuilt Vista I should have just done a repair, but stupid me and I've learnt my lesson.

So - can anyone help?
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)