• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best practices monitoring

J

JonathanL

#1
Can anyone direct me to someplace that summarizes what items such as
services, processes, components, etc. should be monitored in SBS 2003, SBS
2008?

I have installed monitoring software on some SBS servers and I want to set
it up to be as efficient as possible for monitoring.

Jonathan
 

My Computer

L

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]

#2
Hi:

I think that if you pay attention to details of the Performance Report, the
Usage Report, the SBS BPA reports, running/not running services, and your
event logs, you should get a good start.

--
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so that others may benefit.

Get a Health Check for SBS at:
www.sbsbpa.com


"JonathanL" <JonathanL@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:1F34EF40-1DE8-4695-AFEE-55080C2920B5@newsgroup

> Can anyone direct me to someplace that summarizes what items such as
> services, processes, components, etc. should be monitored in SBS 2003, SBS
> 2008?
>
> I have installed monitoring software on some SBS servers and I want to set
> it up to be as efficient as possible for monitoring.
>
> Jonathan
 

My Computer

J

JonathanL

#3
Thank you but as I'm new to SBS, I was hoping that there was a best practices
document somewhere that I could read that would have suggestions on this sort
of this.

What I didn't state in my original post is that I'm using an external
monitoring service company and so I'm monitoring the SBS of mulitple
customers through the console of the product of this service company. But I
need to set up my parameters to tell the monitoring service what to track.
There are some basic parameters already set up but they're for Windows Server
in general and specific to SBS.

That's why I was hoping to find some document that tells what should be
monitored in SBS for me to translate to the monitoring service I'm using.

Jonathan

"Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I think that if you pay attention to details of the Performance Report, the
> Usage Report, the SBS BPA reports, running/not running services, and your
> event logs, you should get a good start.
>
> --
> Larry
> Please post the resolution to your
> issue so that others may benefit.
>
> Get a Health Check for SBS at:
> www.sbsbpa.com
>
>
> "JonathanL" <JonathanL@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:1F34EF40-1DE8-4695-AFEE-55080C2920B5@newsgroup

> > Can anyone direct me to someplace that summarizes what items such as
> > services, processes, components, etc. should be monitored in SBS 2003, SBS
> > 2008?
> >
> > I have installed monitoring software on some SBS servers and I want to set
> > it up to be as efficient as possible for monitoring.
> >
> > Jonathan
>
>
 

My Computer

R

Robbin Meng [MSFT]

#4
Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for your post and Larry's input.

I agree with Larry that you may start with Monitoring and Reporting in SBS 2008. If necessary, based on your needs, you can customize the services, server event logs, and
performance counters that generate alerts by using the Windows SBS Console. For more information please refer to below TechNet articles:

Monitoring and Reporting in Windows Small Business Server 2008
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd443463(WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps. Also, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.


Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

==================================================================
Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx
==================================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
==================================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
==================================================================
 

My Computer

J

JonathanL

#5
Thank you. In looking at some of the material, it may contain the information
I need. However, most of the information concerns how to set up and manage
monitoring in SBS 2008 whereas I'm looking just for the suggested items to be
monitored on a SBS 2008 server in an external monitoring system and not on
the server itself within SBS 2008.

Jonathan

""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" wrote:

>
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for your post and Larry's input.
>
> I agree with Larry that you may start with Monitoring and Reporting in SBS 2008. If necessary, based on your needs, you can customize the services, server event logs, and
> performance counters that generate alerts by using the Windows SBS Console. For more information please refer to below TechNet articles:
>
> Monitoring and Reporting in Windows Small Business Server 2008
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd443463(WS.10).aspx
>
> Hope this helps. Also, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
>
>
> Best regards,
> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
>
> ==================================================================
> Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
> https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>
> Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
> https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>
> If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
> please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx
> ==================================================================
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> ==================================================================
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> ==================================================================
>
>
>
>
 

My Computer

L

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]

#6
Jonathan:

What I think we are trying to convey is that the very things that SBS
monitoring and reporting are telling you, along with some additional things
that you can glean from the other references I mentioned, *are* the things
that should be monitored.

If your third party software will monitor more, then you probably should
allow it to monitor as much as it will, give you all the reports it will
give you, and seek the counsel of the purveyors and users of that software.
You can always turn off the items that seem to be unnecessary, but for the
purposes of impressing the business owners of the companies whose servers
you are monitoring, perhaps the more you can show them on the reports the
more you can impress them.

--
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so that others may benefit.

Get a Health Check for SBS at:
www.sbsbpa.com


"JonathanL" <JonathanL@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:123A2C60-120D-44EE-8AED-6D09F84DDE33@newsgroup

> Thank you. In looking at some of the material, it may contain the
> information
> I need. However, most of the information concerns how to set up and manage
> monitoring in SBS 2008 whereas I'm looking just for the suggested items to
> be
> monitored on a SBS 2008 server in an external monitoring system and not on
> the server itself within SBS 2008.
>
> Jonathan
>
> ""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" wrote:
>

>>
>> Hello Jonathan,
>>
>> Thanks for your post and Larry's input.
>>
>> I agree with Larry that you may start with Monitoring and Reporting in
>> SBS 2008. If necessary, based on your needs, you can customize the
>> services, server event logs, and
>> performance counters that generate alerts by using the Windows SBS
>> Console. For more information please refer to below TechNet articles:
>>
>> Monitoring and Reporting in Windows Small Business Server 2008
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd443463(WS.10).aspx
>>
>> Hope this helps. Also, if you have any questions or concerns, please do
>> not hesitate to let me know.
>>
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
>> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
>>
>> ==================================================================
>> Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on
>> Connect website:
>> https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>>
>> Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect
>> website:
>> https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>>
>> If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these
>> newsgroups,
>> please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a
>> newsreader:
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx
>> ==================================================================
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
>> ==================================================================
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>> ==================================================================
>>
>>
>>
>>
 

My Computer

R

Robbin Meng [MSFT]

#7
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your feedback. You are welcome.

If you would like to ask for some advice, yes, you may refer to the monitoring contents of SBS 2008 Performance Report and Usage Report, as well as SBS BPA reports. They
may give you some information about the suggested items to be monitored.

Hope it helps.


Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
 

My Computer

J

JonathanL

#8
Thank you Larry, I wasn't sure if that was what was meant or not and I didn't
want to assume it was. Thank you for your clarification. I really do
appreciate the help. Now to get on with the task!

Jonathan

p.s. I don't know who I would report this to, but I am not getting any email
notifications of replies. In every post, I've checked the box at the bottom
"Notify me of replies" but none so far. And the email address I'm using for
getting on here receives email all day long.

"Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> Jonathan:
>
> What I think we are trying to convey is that the very things that SBS
> monitoring and reporting are telling you, along with some additional things
> that you can glean from the other references I mentioned, *are* the things
> that should be monitored.
>
> If your third party software will monitor more, then you probably should
> allow it to monitor as much as it will, give you all the reports it will
> give you, and seek the counsel of the purveyors and users of that software.
> You can always turn off the items that seem to be unnecessary, but for the
> purposes of impressing the business owners of the companies whose servers
> you are monitoring, perhaps the more you can show them on the reports the
> more you can impress them.
>
> --
> Larry
> Please post the resolution to your
> issue so that others may benefit.
>
> Get a Health Check for SBS at:
> www.sbsbpa.com
>
>
> "JonathanL" <JonathanL@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:123A2C60-120D-44EE-8AED-6D09F84DDE33@newsgroup

> > Thank you. In looking at some of the material, it may contain the
> > information
> > I need. However, most of the information concerns how to set up and manage
> > monitoring in SBS 2008 whereas I'm looking just for the suggested items to
> > be
> > monitored on a SBS 2008 server in an external monitoring system and not on
> > the server itself within SBS 2008.
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > ""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" wrote:
> >

> >>
> >> Hello Jonathan,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your post and Larry's input.
> >>
> >> I agree with Larry that you may start with Monitoring and Reporting in
> >> SBS 2008. If necessary, based on your needs, you can customize the
> >> services, server event logs, and
> >> performance counters that generate alerts by using the Windows SBS
> >> Console. For more information please refer to below TechNet articles:
> >>
> >> Monitoring and Reporting in Windows Small Business Server 2008
> >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd443463(WS.10).aspx
> >>
> >> Hope this helps. Also, if you have any questions or concerns, please do
> >> not hesitate to let me know.
> >>
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
> >> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
> >>
> >> ==================================================================
> >> Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on
> >> Connect website:
> >> https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
> >>
> >> Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect
> >> website:
> >> https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
> >>
> >> If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these
> >> newsgroups,
> >> please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a
> >> newsreader:
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx
> >> ==================================================================
> >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> >> ==================================================================
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> >> rights.
> >> ==================================================================
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
 

My Computer

J

JonathanL

#9
As with Larry, thank you very much Robbin for your help. It is -much-
appreciated!

Jonathan

""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" wrote:

>
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. You are welcome.
>
> If you would like to ask for some advice, yes, you may refer to the monitoring contents of SBS 2008 Performance Report and Usage Report, as well as SBS BPA reports. They
> may give you some information about the suggested items to be monitored.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
>
> Best regards,
> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
>
>
>
 

My Computer

R

Robbin Meng [MSFT]

#10
Hi Jonathan,

You are welcome. It's my pleasure to be of assistance.

Regarding the email notifications, if you click on the "Notify me of replies", it will turn to "Notification enabled". Then any update will send you a notification email. If not received,
please go to "Edit my profile" , usually at the top of the webpage , check if your profile information are correct including the email address you used for notification.

Thank you for your time.


Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
 

My Computer

J

JonathanL

#11
As I had mentioned to Larry, I have indeed clicked on "Notify me of replies"
for every post I've ever made in these forums. I used to get notification
emails and then they stopped.
And I also had checked the email address in my profile and it was correct.

Now today I got 3 email notifications (3 different forums) telling me of
replies. So why it wasn't working and now has started working again I have no
way to explain. But I'm just glad it's now working again and I hope it stays
that way.

Jonathan

""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" wrote:

>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> You are welcome. It's my pleasure to be of assistance.
>
> Regarding the email notifications, if you click on the "Notify me of replies", it will turn to "Notification enabled". Then any update will send you a notification email. If not received,
> please go to "Edit my profile" , usually at the top of the webpage , check if your profile information are correct including the email address you used for notification.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
>
> Best regards,
> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
>
>
>
 

My Computer

L

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]

#12
You will be much happier with a nntp new reader. Depending on the version
of Windows you have, you might like Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or there
are many third party programs you can use. Thunderbird, Xananews, and so
on.

--
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so that others may benefit.

Get a Health Check for SBS at:
www.sbsbpa.com


"JonathanL" <JonathanL@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:A8A80072-15F4-4690-A971-67CECF0B2E67@newsgroup

> As I had mentioned to Larry, I have indeed clicked on "Notify me of
> replies"
> for every post I've ever made in these forums. I used to get notification
> emails and then they stopped.
> And I also had checked the email address in my profile and it was correct.
>
> Now today I got 3 email notifications (3 different forums) telling me of
> replies. So why it wasn't working and now has started working again I have
> no
> way to explain. But I'm just glad it's now working again and I hope it
> stays
> that way.
>
> Jonathan
>
> ""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" wrote:
>

>>
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> You are welcome. It's my pleasure to be of assistance.
>>
>> Regarding the email notifications, if you click on the "Notify me of
>> replies", it will turn to "Notification enabled". Then any update will
>> send you a notification email. If not received,
>> please go to "Edit my profile" , usually at the top of the webpage ,
>> check if your profile information are correct including the email address
>> you used for notification.
>>
>> Thank you for your time.
>>
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
>> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
>>
>>
>>
 

My Computer

J

JonathanL

#13
That's a good idea but in Windows Mail (I'm using Vista) it only shows the
microsoft.public newsgroups and not the ones like this one. But using IE
generally has worked fine for me. It's just been the period of time where
notifications didn't work that it was a hassle. But now that they're working
again, I'm satisfied. And with Windows Mail not picking up the right groups,
it's a non-issue as far as I can see.

Jonathan

"Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> You will be much happier with a nntp new reader. Depending on the version
> of Windows you have, you might like Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or there
> are many third party programs you can use. Thunderbird, Xananews, and so
> on.
>
> --
> Larry
> Please post the resolution to your
> issue so that others may benefit.
>
> Get a Health Check for SBS at:
> www.sbsbpa.com
>
>
> "JonathanL" <JonathanL@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:A8A80072-15F4-4690-A971-67CECF0B2E67@newsgroup

> > As I had mentioned to Larry, I have indeed clicked on "Notify me of
> > replies"
> > for every post I've ever made in these forums. I used to get notification
> > emails and then they stopped.
> > And I also had checked the email address in my profile and it was correct.
> >
> > Now today I got 3 email notifications (3 different forums) telling me of
> > replies. So why it wasn't working and now has started working again I have
> > no
> > way to explain. But I'm just glad it's now working again and I hope it
> > stays
> > that way.
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > ""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" wrote:
> >

> >>
> >> Hi Jonathan,
> >>
> >> You are welcome. It's my pleasure to be of assistance.
> >>
> >> Regarding the email notifications, if you click on the "Notify me of
> >> replies", it will turn to "Notification enabled". Then any update will
> >> send you a notification email. If not received,
> >> please go to "Edit my profile" , usually at the top of the webpage ,
> >> check if your profile information are correct including the email address
> >> you used for notification.
> >>
> >> Thank you for your time.
> >>
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
> >> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
 

My Computer

#14
JonathanL wrote:

> That's a good idea but in Windows Mail (I'm using Vista) it only shows the
> microsoft.public newsgroups and not the ones like this one. But using IE
> generally has worked fine for me. It's just been the period of time where
> notifications didn't work that it was a hassle. But now that they're working
> again, I'm satisfied. And with Windows Mail not picking up the right groups,
> it's a non-issue as far as I can see.
>
Should you have further problems, this group is called
microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs and is most certainly among the
Microsoft-only newsgroups which Windows Mail shows by default, for all
the world as if the other 100,000+ newsgroups didn't exist.

--
Joe
 

My Computer

J

JonathanL

#15
Ah, thank you! As I get older, I need more and more help. Ugh.

Jonathan

"Joe" wrote:

> JonathanL wrote:

> > That's a good idea but in Windows Mail (I'm using Vista) it only shows the
> > microsoft.public newsgroups and not the ones like this one. But using IE
> > generally has worked fine for me. It's just been the period of time where
> > notifications didn't work that it was a hassle. But now that they're working
> > again, I'm satisfied. And with Windows Mail not picking up the right groups,
> > it's a non-issue as far as I can see.
> >
>
> Should you have further problems, this group is called
> microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs and is most certainly among the
> Microsoft-only newsgroups which Windows Mail shows by default, for all
> the world as if the other 100,000+ newsgroups didn't exist.
>
> --
> Joe
>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)