Black Screen, loads after 10 minutes

Shadow2222

Hi, I'm new here (nice to meet you all). I am a basic computer user that knows how to download, install, and fix basic problems. However, this is seemingly too advanced for me, unfortunately.

I have a Gateway LX6810, preconfigured from Best Buy with Vista Home Premium x64, 8 gb of DDR2 Ram, an Intel Core 2 Quad processor (at 2.33 ghz), and a Nvidia GeForce 120 video card.

My exact problem is as follows: My computer has been running fine since I got it about 2 weeks ago. It loaded fast, opened programs quickly, and was able to play Fallout 3 on max specs (other than resolution, as I have that set to my tv's 1280x720 ratio) with no stutter.

Now, as of three hours ago, I get the black screen everytime I start, right after the green Microsoft load bar. It lasts about ten minutes, then when the "Welcome" screen with the circular cursor comes up, that lasts another minute. I haven't really downloaded anything in the past few day, other than a small video file (which I watched and had no troubles with), so I don't think its that. Also now it takes Firefox about 30-40 seconds to load up instead of two or three. Normal folders still open very quickly. I'm half afraid to try a game right now.

I had noticed something funky when, about 5 hours ago, I went to open a rar file and it took about 2 mins to open. Keep in mind that I had opened that rar file a day or two ago without a hitch. About half an hour later, I shut off my PC. Realizing I wanted to look something else up on the internet, I turned it back on, to discover my current problem.

I did the startup repair thing, even restored my Vista to about 13 hours ago. I did the memory scan thing and then tried safe mode (as I didn't realize my Vista would eventually load if I just let it go).

Startup repair and the memory scan found nothing, the restore didn't change anything (Black Screen still is there anyways), and safe mode loaded all the drivers and stuff very quickly, then sat for about 7 to 8 minutes before finally loading.

I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for, so I didn't really find anything out pertaining to the possible cause of my situation.

Well, thanks in advance if you read this entire post (sorry for the length), and double thanks if you can offer a possible solution.

My Computer

Click on the start orb.
Click on search and type in msconfig
when msconfig loads look for autostart programs, it is possible that one of these may be causing problems. Turn them all off and slowly turn them on one at a time after every boot.
Also look at your processes to ensure nothing nasty is hiding.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
this may sound like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, but if your computer is only 2 weeks old and you havent really loaded too many programs AND you can back up any important data, i would consider restoring to factory conditions (assuming you have a restore cd)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Aleinware Area-51
    CPU
    core 2 extreme x9000 2.8 Ghz
    Memory
    4 Gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    (2) Nvidia 8800m GTX in Sli
    Sound Card
    Onboard RealTek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    42" JVC LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p 32 bit
    Hard Drives
    (2) seagate 7200rpm in RAID 0
    (1) maxtor external 1 terabyte firewire
    Case
    laptop
    Keyboard
    a really spiffy backlit one that i can change color ;>)
    Mouse
    logitech Anywhere Mouse and built-in touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Cable
Ah, I forgot to mention that due to the fact that it is preconfigured from Best Buy/Gateway, Vista is already installed and there was no disc included. Thanks for your suggestions so far. I'm going to try the startup-program thing.

My Computer

Back