• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Block Live Messenger invitations

J

jackshafer

#1
I'm getting spammed at my live messenger service by invitations. Every time I
open the application I get 10 spammed invitations. How do I block these
unwanted invitations? I don't want to reject them one by one.
 

My Computer

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

#2
Greetings,

Unfortunately Messenger doesn't have a feature like this. The only thing you really can do
is automatically accept them, which obviously you don't want to do.

Since this has been reaching rather epidemic proportions, I have some other ideas on how to
better get around this that I need work on.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--


"jackshafer" <jackshafer@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:B2B28849-A69B-47EB-B45B-B77026F21D0D@newsgroup

> I'm getting spammed at my live messenger service by invitations. Every time I
> open the application I get 10 spammed invitations. How do I block these
> unwanted invitations? I don't want to reject them one by one.
 

My Computer

S

scottjohnson

#3
This has been annoying me for the last 3 or 4 weeks. It has definitely
gotten worse and we need to have the option to block unwanted invitations.
Please help get that option into messenger.

thanks

Scott

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Unfortunately Messenger doesn't have a feature like this. The only thing you really can do
> is automatically accept them, which obviously you don't want to do.
>
> Since this has been reaching rather epidemic proportions, I have some other ideas on how to
> better get around this that I need work on.
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
> --
>
>
> "jackshafer" <jackshafer@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:B2B28849-A69B-47EB-B45B-B77026F21D0D@newsgroup

> > I'm getting spammed at my live messenger service by invitations. Every time I
> > open the application I get 10 spammed invitations. How do I block these
> > unwanted invitations? I don't want to reject them one by one.
>
>
> .
>
 

My Computer

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

#4
Hi Scott,

I'll do my best.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--


"scottjohnson" <scottjohnson@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:8C1A9D96-A3D0-4E66-9104-EDA3EA32B0E0@newsgroup

> This has been annoying me for the last 3 or 4 weeks. It has definitely
> gotten worse and we need to have the option to block unwanted invitations.
> Please help get that option into messenger.
>
> thanks
>
> Scott
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>

>> Greetings,
>>
>> Unfortunately Messenger doesn't have a feature like this. The only thing you really can
>> do
>> is automatically accept them, which obviously you don't want to do.
>>
>> Since this has been reaching rather epidemic proportions, I have some other ideas on how
>> to
>> better get around this that I need work on.
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
>> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
>> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
>> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>> (c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
>> --
>>
>>
>> "jackshafer" <jackshafer@newsgroup> wrote in message
>> news:B2B28849-A69B-47EB-B45B-B77026F21D0D@newsgroup

>> > I'm getting spammed at my live messenger service by invitations. Every time I
>> > open the application I get 10 spammed invitations. How do I block these
>> > unwanted invitations? I don't want to reject them one by one.
>>
>>
>> .
>>
 

My Computer

T

Tim Gahagan - GGI Technologies - GGI.NET

#5
I will check back and wait as well. It used to not happen, but it is getting
worse and worse over the last month. Also, my MSN e-mail account is not
published ANYWHERE.
 

My Computer

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

#6
Hi Tim,

If you're on anyone else's list (of course you are, otherwise you wouldn't be using
Messenger) then you have probably been published on a list somewhere. The reason is if any
of your contact's provide their username and password to anyone, that anyone now has their
credentials can log into the Messenger using that user and grab all the addresses on their
list which are then sold off.

That is why the majority of these Messenger phishing scams don't ask you do anything beyond
fill in your credentials and then send the link to your contacts to do the same -- they're
just information collectors.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--



"Tim Gahagan - GGI Technologies - GGI.NET"
<TimGahaganGGITechnologiesGGINET@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:5153E268-F922-4DE2-8450-55B70B869036@newsgroup

> I will check back and wait as well. It used to not happen, but it is getting
> worse and worse over the last month. Also, my MSN e-mail account is not
> published ANYWHERE.
 

My Computer

bilcheri

New Member
Messages
4
#7
Hi folks first post here sooooooo HELLO!

I fired up my wifes laptop and there was yet another invite....

My first action after blocking was to finally go through the available options in ALL the menus.

What I was looking for was a 'box' that said something like this--

block invitations from anyone not on your contact list

If this existed then it would sure would make our computing life better.

Just a thought and all the information already exists so this filter should not be to challenging to implement.

Thanks in advance if anybody can actually get this done,

Bill
 

My Computer

A

Andy Webster

#8
Every time messenger logs in I also get unwanted invites. As Scott and others
pointed out this has suddenly got considerably worse. I used to get the odd
one now and then but I am now getting 3 or 4 on each logon. I totally agree
with bilcheri's comment on simple filter implementation. With regard to
messenger IDs getting into the wild it seems like an inside job has occured
recently as there are so many forum threads reporting this sudden increase in
unwanted invites. I am beginning to consider just binning messenger for good
if nothing is done to resolve this.

"bilcheri" wrote:

>
> Hi folks first post here sooooooo HELLO!
>
> I fired up my wifes laptop and there was yet another invite....
>
> My first action after blocking was to finally go through the available
> options in ALL the menus.
>
> What I was looking for was a 'box' that said something like this--
>
> block invitations from anyone not on your contact list
>
> If this existed then it would sure would make our computing life better.
>
>
> Just a thought and all the information already exists so this filter
> should not be to challenging to implement.
>
> Thanks in advance if anybody can actually get this done,
>
> Bill
>
>
> --
> bilcheri
> .
>
 

My Computer

R

Robert

#9
I am also getting spammed daily. Typically they want me to visit
"www.make109.com" (which I have never taken them up on, for obvious reasons).
It is definitely becoming an epidemic, resulting in the disuse of my
personal Live Messenger account. I still use it at work to communicate to my
coworkers, but my hotmail-connected account won't be used until I can block
ALL invites. This should be an easy fix, right?

Thanks for your attention to this!
Robert

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Unfortunately Messenger doesn't have a feature like this. The only thing you really can do
> is automatically accept them, which obviously you don't want to do.
>
> Since this has been reaching rather epidemic proportions, I have some other ideas on how to
> better get around this that I need work on.
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
> --
>
>
> "jackshafer" <jackshafer@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:B2B28849-A69B-47EB-B45B-B77026F21D0D@newsgroup

> > I'm getting spammed at my live messenger service by invitations. Every time I
> > open the application I get 10 spammed invitations. How do I block these
> > unwanted invitations? I don't want to reject them one by one.
>
>
> .
>
 

My Computer

#10
this sucks!! Is there really no way to stop invites from anyone? All people I
have to talk to are already on my list. I do not want to add someone more.
How can we stop this? Is this really impossible?
If there is really no way to do better, I will put an end to my msn account
cause this is really anoyiiiinnnnnggg !!!
 

My Computer

bookmom88

New Member
Messages
1
#11
I too am very annoyed by having to report as spam several new spammers every time I open Live. I don't understand the difficulty of blocking anyone not already on one's contact list. The previous version allowed it and Yahoo still allows it. At best there should be one step to block instead of three I am discontinuing my use of Messenger Live until this is fixed. I will keep an eye out for updates. I would prefer to use Live for instant messaging but right now it is far too annoying and time consuming and there are other options.
 

My Computer

System One

  • Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite Laptop
#12
Hi Jonathan

Sorry my previous post (easy solution) was meant to be a reply to you, please check it out if you have a minute



Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:

Hi Scott,I will do my best.
09-Mar-10

Hi Scott,

I will do my best.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--

Previous Posts In This Thread:

On Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:11 PM
jackshafer wrote:

Block Live Messenger invitations
I am getting spammed at my live messenger service by invitations. Every time I
open the application I get 10 spammed invitations. How do I block these
unwanted invitations? I do not want to reject them one by one.

On Wednesday, March 03, 2010 8:53 PM
Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:

Greetings,Unfortunately Messenger does not have a feature like this.
Greetings,

Unfortunately Messenger does not have a feature like this. The only thing you really can do
is automatically accept them, which obviously you do not want to do.

Since this has been reaching rather epidemic proportions, I have some other ideas on how to
better get around this that I need work on.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--

On Monday, March 08, 2010 2:27 PM
scottjohnson wrote:

This has been annoying me for the last 3 or 4 weeks.
This has been annoying me for the last 3 or 4 weeks. It has definitely
gotten worse and we need to have the option to block unwanted invitations.
Please help get that option into messenger.

thanks

Scott

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

On Tuesday, March 09, 2010 3:46 AM
Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:

Hi Scott,I will do my best.
Hi Scott,

I will do my best.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--

On Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:30 PM
Tim Gahagan - GGI Technologies - GGI.NET wrote:

I will check back and wait as well.
I will check back and wait as well. It used to not happen, but it is getting
worse and worse over the last month. Also, my MSN e-mail account is not
published ANYWHERE.

On Friday, March 12, 2010 4:03 AM
Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:

Hi Tim,If you are on anyone else's list (of course you are, otherwise you
Hi Tim,

If you are on anyone else's list (of course you are, otherwise you would not be using
Messenger) then you have probably been published on a list somewhere. The reason is if any
of your contact's provide their username and password to anyone, that anyone now has their
credentials can log into the Messenger using that user and grab all the addresses on their
list which are then sold off.

That is why the majority of these Messenger phishing scams do not ask you do anything beyond
fill in your credentials and then send the link to your contacts to do the same -- they are
just information collectors.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--



"Tim Gahagan - GGI Technologies - GGI.NET"

On Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:01 PM
bilcheri wrote:

Hi folks first post here sooooooo HELLO!
Hi folks first post here sooooooo HELLO!

I fired up my wifes laptop and there was yet another invite....

My first action after blocking was to finally go through the available
options in ALL the menus.

What I was looking for was a 'box' that said something like this--

block invitations from anyone not on your contact list

If this existed then it would sure would make our computing life better.


Just a thought and all the information already exists so this filter
should not be to challenging to implement.

Thanks in advance if anybody can actually get this done,

Bill


--
bilcheri

On Sunday, March 14, 2010 11:44 PM
El Coqui wrote:

I have the same problem.
I've been getting daily, multiple friend request from random contacts which seem like a virus o spam of some sort. If I add them, they start the conversation with a webcam invite and always say how exited they are.

If there were some possible way that the person who is going to add you by email, -in you Windows Live Messenger Account - needed to answer a personal question on the person upon he is requesting permission to be accepted, it would filter at least a 90% of unwanted friend requests.

Any updates would be most appreciated, since I've had my e-mail account for many years now and I do not wish to eliminate the account.

Sincerely,

Coqui

On Friday, March 19, 2010 3:54 AM
Andy Webster wrote:

Every time messenger logs in I also get unwanted invites.
Every time messenger logs in I also get unwanted invites. As Scott and others
pointed out this has suddenly got considerably worse. I used to get the odd
one now and then but I am now getting 3 or 4 on each logon. I totally agree
with bilcheri's comment on simple filter implementation. With regard to
messenger IDs getting into the wild it seems like an inside job has occured
recently as there are so many forum threads reporting this sudden increase in
unwanted invites. I am beginning to consider just binning messenger for good
if nothing is done to resolve this.

"bilcheri" wrote:

On Friday, March 26, 2010 1:36 PM
Robert wrote:

I am also getting spammed daily. Typically they want me to visit"www.make109.
I am also getting spammed daily. Typically they want me to visit
"www.make109.com" (which I have never taken them up on, for obvious reasons).
It is definitely becoming an epidemic, resulting in the disuse of my
personal Live Messenger account. I still use it at work to communicate to my
coworkers, but my hotmail-connected account will not be used until I can block
ALL invites. This should be an easy fix, right?

Thanks for your attention to this!
Robert

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

On Monday, March 29, 2010 3:18 PM
Oli wrote:

this sucks!! Is there really no way to stop invites from anyone?
this sucks!! Is there really no way to stop invites from anyone? All people I
have to talk to are already on my list. I do not want to add someone more.
How can we stop this? Is this really impossible?
If there is really no way to do better, I will put an end to my msn account
cause this is really anoyiiiinnnnnggg !!!

On Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:49 AM
bookmom88 wrote:

I too am very annoyed by having to report as spam several new spammersevery
I too am very annoyed by having to report as spam several new spammers
every time I open Live. I do not understand the difficulty of blocking
anyone not already on one's contact list. The previous version allowed
it and Yahoo still allows it. At best there ishould be one step to block
instead of three I am discontinuing my use of Messenger Live until this
is fixed. I will keep an eye out for updates. I would prefer to use
Live for instant messaging but right now it is far too annoying and time
consuming and there are other options.


--
bookmom88

On Friday, April 02, 2010 9:11 PM
DJEB wrote:

piling onto the general consensus that this issue is annoying to the max.
piling onto the general consensus that this issue is annoying to the max.
Looking forward to MSFT coming out with some announcement on how they will
address.

"bookmom88" wrote:

On Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:52 PM
stellablue19 wrote:

Add me to the list of annoyed users, too! :-("DJEB" wrote:
Add me to the list of annoyed users, too! :-(

"DJEB" wrote:

On Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:34 AM
Jason wrote:

Add me as well. There are too many invitations.
Add me as well. There are too many invitations. It should be the same as
Hotmail. Bloack all invitations unless they are in my contact list. I am a
fairly private person and I will know if anyone legitimate wants to connect
to me.

"jackshafer" wrote:

On Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:14 PM
i h wrote:

I have an easy solution
rather than popping up a separate window for every single request, just pop up a single window, with checkboxes next to each one, and a 'select all' button.

that way you can just refuse and spam report every singl eone of them (i have had up to 100 per login, as i don't sign in often) with just a couple of clicks in total, rather than 5 clicks per request.


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Get Silverlight 4 Installed: Tips and Tricks
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...b-f54c56a64ed9/get-silverlight-4-install.aspx
 

My Computer

M

Matis

#13
I agree with all these posts, This has made my friends mad enough to switch
to google messenger if this keeps going as is I will eliminate my account
with Microsoft. It is getting to be as bad as span and telemarketers.

"jackshafer" wrote:

> I'm getting spammed at my live messenger service by invitations. Every time I
> open the application I get 10 spammed invitations. How do I block these
> unwanted invitations? I don't want to reject them one by one.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)