• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Blocked port 25

M

Max Spiller

#1
Installed Vista RC1 as a dual boot with XP - runs beautifully, except...

I cannot send emails using Vista Mail. My ISP uses port 25 for SMTP and it
is constantly blocked...cannot telnet to it either.

Anyone have any suggestions for what could be causing this? This is the one
thing stopping me using Vista as my default OS...

Max
 

My Computer

A

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

#2
Even when you add it as an Exception (Windows Firewall Settings)?
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
My Vista Quickstart Guide:
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E8E5CC039D51E3DB!9709.entry
"Max Spiller" <MaxSpiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AD7C9907-34F4-489A-A1DF-81845C72AB16@microsoft.com...
> Installed Vista RC1 as a dual boot with XP - runs beautifully, except...
>
> I cannot send emails using Vista Mail. My ISP uses port 25 for SMTP and it
> is constantly blocked...cannot telnet to it either.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for what could be causing this? This is the
> one
> thing stopping me using Vista as my default OS...
>
> Max
 

My Computer

M

Max Spiller

#3
"

> Even when you add it as an Exception (Windows Firewall Settings)?
> --
> Andre


Yes Andre, I have tried turning the firewall off as well and AVG anti-virus
but without success. Also tweaked MTU.

Max
 

My Computer

S

Steve Cochran

#4
Try uninstalling AVG. For OE it needs to be installed with the email
scanning option disabled.

I'd try uninstalling it, then removing the mail account and then closing and
reopening WinMail and then adding the account back again.

There is a long history of antivirus software set to scan email messing up
the normal functions of the email program. e.g.
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

See if that makes a difference.

steve

"Max Spiller" <MaxSpiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:90D743CC-E901-4C3E-BA54-3149C3BD68AB@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "
>
>> Even when you add it as an Exception (Windows Firewall Settings)?
>> --
>> Andre

>
> Yes Andre, I have tried turning the firewall off as well and AVG
> anti-virus
> but without success. Also tweaked MTU.
>
> Max
>
 

My Computer

B
#5
"Max Spiller" <MaxSpiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:90D743CC-E901-4C3E-BA54-3149C3BD68AB@microsoft.com...
>
> Yes Andre, I have tried turning the firewall off as well and AVG
> anti-virus
> but without success. Also tweaked MTU.


There is nothing wrong with Windows Mail and the port is not blocked
by Vista. You don't need to adjust it in the firewall either since
outbound is not blocked by default with Vista.

The problem is a very simple oversight with AVG setup. The outbound
email scanning feature in AVG is enabled by default, but the antivirus
server for outbound (SMTP) scanning is not active by default in the
free version. This is a setup configuration issue I've reported to AVG
and still has not been fixed in the newer 7.5 version. But what the
heck, it's free right?

:-)

All you have to do, if you want to keep email antivirus scanning, is
enable the server feature in AVG. To do this, open the AVG control
center, double-click the email scanner option, click the Properties
button, click the Servers tab, double-click the SMTP option in the
list, then check off the option at the bottom "Activate this
server...".

Click OK to save the change on your way out and Mail should work fine.
 

My Computer

M

Max Spiller

#6
"Bill" wrote:


> There is nothing wrong with Windows Mail and the port is not blocked
> by Vista. You don't need to adjust it in the firewall either since
> outbound is not blocked by default with Vista.
>
> The problem is a very simple oversight with AVG setup. The outbound
> email scanning feature in AVG is enabled by default, but the antivirus
> server for outbound (SMTP) scanning is not active by default in the
> free version. This is a setup configuration issue I've reported to AVG
> and still has not been fixed in the newer 7.5 version. But what the
> heck, it's free right?
>
> :-)
>
> All you have to do, if you want to keep email antivirus scanning, is
> enable the server feature in AVG. To do this, open the AVG control
> center, double-click the email scanner option, click the Properties
> button, click the Servers tab, double-click the SMTP option in the
> list, then check off the option at the bottom "Activate this
> server...".
>
> Click OK to save the change on your way out and Mail should work fine.
>

Steve and Bill - thank you, thank you, thank you! Worked beautifully. Have
been trying for two weeks to find the answer to this and now it is all
working just fine.

I truly appreciate your help....

Max
 

My Computer

S

Steve Cochran

#7
Glad it worked for you. Also glad Bill had the details, so we know what's
wrong with it.

steve

"Max Spiller" <MaxSpiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D74FBDBE-FCB9-4280-9DFC-C6B36E0FAB7F@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Bill" wrote:
>
>
>> There is nothing wrong with Windows Mail and the port is not blocked
>> by Vista. You don't need to adjust it in the firewall either since
>> outbound is not blocked by default with Vista.
>>
>> The problem is a very simple oversight with AVG setup. The outbound
>> email scanning feature in AVG is enabled by default, but the antivirus
>> server for outbound (SMTP) scanning is not active by default in the
>> free version. This is a setup configuration issue I've reported to AVG
>> and still has not been fixed in the newer 7.5 version. But what the
>> heck, it's free right?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> All you have to do, if you want to keep email antivirus scanning, is
>> enable the server feature in AVG. To do this, open the AVG control
>> center, double-click the email scanner option, click the Properties
>> button, click the Servers tab, double-click the SMTP option in the
>> list, then check off the option at the bottom "Activate this
>> server...".
>>
>> Click OK to save the change on your way out and Mail should work fine.
>>

> Steve and Bill - thank you, thank you, thank you! Worked beautifully. Have
> been trying for two weeks to find the answer to this and now it is all
> working just fine.
>
> I truly appreciate your help....
>
> Max
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)