• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Bug in SD Memory Card driver : driver remains in memory after remo

M

Malignonne

#1
I have Vista Home Premium, running on an Acer Aspire (includes a 5 in 1 card
reader).

The problem is that whenever an SD card is removed from the SD reader, then
the disk driver does not get removed from memory and hence it can never be
inserted again until the PC is rebooted.

Using a Ricoh Memory Stick Disk in the card reader has no problem - the
driver for this works fine.

The problematic drivers are :

The drivers for the SD Memory card are :
• C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys
o Microsoft 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
• C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\sffdisk.sys
o Microsoft 6.0.6000.16478 (vista_gdr.070427-1615)
• C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\sffp_sd.sys
o Microsoft 6.0.6000.16478 (vista_gdr.070427-1615)

Trying to see if there is an update available returns that Windows thinks
everything is up to date.


Details of how to reproduce this are given below :

Rebooted and went into Device Manager and selected Properties for SD Memory
Card (under Disk Drives) ….

Device status was “This device is working properlyâ€
Policy was “Optimize for quick removalâ€

Took out the card ….
Device status changed to “Currently this hardware device is not connected to
the computer (Code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device
to the computerâ€

Put the card back in ….
Device status changed to “Windows cannot load the device driver for this
hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory.
(Code 38)â€
 

My Computer

M

Malignonne

#2
More information ....

I've done some more testing with different SD cards and on different PCs (a
Toshiba Satellite, running Vista Home Premium).

Using a Panasonic Mini Smart SD, I can insert and remove with no problems on
the Toshiba, but it will only work a few times on the Acer before it fails
with Code 38.

Using a G&D Mini Smart SD, I can insert and remove a few times before it
fails on the Toshiba, this time with code 10 (The device cannot start). The
same card will fail always on the Acer, after being removed (with code 38).

Using a SanDisk Mini SD, there are no problems on the Toshiba, but it will
fail in always on the Acer (code 38 again).

Using a Renesas MMC Mini SD, the driver is MMC Memory Card, not SD Memory
Card. This works fine on both the Acer and the Toshiba.



Is this a timing problem with Vista's SD Memory Card driver?

Ben
 

My Computer

S

soulfuljim1

#3
Re: Bug in SD Memory Card driver : driver remains in memory afterremo

On Jan 13, 4:45 pm, Malignonne <Maligno...@xxxxxx>
wrote:

> I have Vista Home Premium, running on an Acer Aspire (includes a 5 in 1 card
> reader).
>
> The problem is that whenever an SD card is removed from the SD reader, then
> the disk driver does not get removed from memory and hence it can never be
> inserted again until the PC is rebooted.
>
> Using a Ricoh Memory Stick Disk in the card reader has no problem - the
> driver for this works fine.
>
> The problematic drivers are :
>
> The drivers for the SD Memory card are :
> * C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys
> o Microsoft 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
> * C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\sffdisk.sys
> o Microsoft 6.0.6000.16478 (vista_gdr.070427-1615)
> * C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\sffp_sd.sys
> o Microsoft 6.0.6000.16478 (vista_gdr.070427-1615)
>
> Trying to see if there is an update available returns that Windows thinks
> everything is up to date.
>
> Details of how to reproduce this are given below :
>
> Rebooted and went into Device Manager and selected Properties for SD Memory
> Card (under Disk Drives) ....
>
> Device status was "This device is working properly"
> Policy was "Optimize for quick removal"
>
> Took out the card ....
> Device status changed to "Currently this hardware device is not connected to
> the computer (Code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device
> to the computer"
>
> Put the card back in ....
> Device status changed to "Windows cannot load the device driver for this
> hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory.
> (Code 38)"

I had the same problem. After cloning my hard drive and re-installing
Windows Vista, I discovered that the problem begins after the install
of AVG Free edition (version 7.1) anti-virus software. If you are
using this software, just switch to different anti-virus software (or
try a different version). Otherwise I suggest doing what I did which
was to start with a fresh installation of Windows and check your
memory drive for functionality after every install of software until
you determine the culprit.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)