Calling methods on DataContracts

R

rajigopal

Hi,

I have this requirement that a web service be used to return an object
that the client can call methods on. For e.g:

WebServiceClient c = new WebServiceClient();
SomeObject o = c.GetObject();
o.DoSomething();
o.Save();

Is this possible with current state of WCF? If so, how?

Thanks!
 

My Computer

T

Tiago Halm

DataContracts are just data, they are not "objects", so there is no behavior
involved. Only the service exibits functionality served by operations with
receive and return data.

What is the original funcional or technical requirement in this project?

Tiago Halm

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Hi,
>
> I have this requirement that a web service be used to return an object
> that the client can call methods on. For e.g:
>
> WebServiceClient c = new WebServiceClient();
> SomeObject o = c.GetObject();
> o.DoSomething();
> o.Save();
>
> Is this possible with current state of WCF? If so, how?
>
> Thanks!
 

My Computer

J

JIGNESH

We had a concept in Remoting MarshalByRef or MarshalByObject
It sounds to me like MarshalByObject kind of need. ?

Toago, am i thinking correct ?


"Tiago Halm" wrote:

> DataContracts are just data, they are not "objects", so there is no behavior
> involved. Only the service exibits functionality served by operations with
> receive and return data.
>
> What is the original funcional or technical requirement in this project?
>
> Tiago Halm
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have this requirement that a web service be used to return an object
> > that the client can call methods on. For e.g:
> >
> > WebServiceClient c = new WebServiceClient();
> > SomeObject o = c.GetObject();
> > o.DoSomething();
> > o.Save();
> >
> > Is this possible with current state of WCF? If so, how?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
>
>
 

My Computer

T

tiago.halm

You're probably coming from some of the Remoting concepts, like CAO
and SAO which differ from the Service Oriented Architecture concepts.

Look into the funcionality you need, what (the services) provides that
funcionality, the separation of responsabilitites and independence
along with autonomy of all those services. Each one of those services
with their operations provide funcionalities that implement the
requirements you have on your project.

You need to re-think the architecture of your solution.

Tiago Halm

On Apr 3, 8:35 pm, JIGNESH <[email protected]> wrote:

> We had a concept in Remoting MarshalByRef or MarshalByObject
> It sounds to me  like MarshalByObject kind of need. ?
>
> Toago, am i thinking correct ?
>
>
>
> "Tiago Halm" wrote:

> > DataContracts are just data, they are not "objects", so there is no behavior
> > involved. Only the service exibits functionality served by operations with
> > receive and return data.
>

> > What is the original funcional or technical requirement in this project?
>

> >Tiago Halm
>
>

> > > I have this requirement that a web service be used to return an object
> > > that the client can call methods on. For e.g:
>

> > > WebServiceClient c = new WebServiceClient();
> > > SomeObject o = c.GetObject();
> > > o.DoSomething();
> > > o.Save();
>

> > > Is this possible with current state of WCF?  If so, how?
>

> > > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
 

My Computer

Top